or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › contemporary furniture sites
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

contemporary furniture sites

post #1 of 67
Thread Starter 
Post 'em if you've got good ones. This is what I've been looking at so far:

http://www.dwr.com/
http://www.europebynet.com/
http://www.iqmatics.com/WebStore/
http://www.spacify.com/default.asp
http://www.sleekspaces.com/
http://www.italydesign.com/index.php
http://www.casamodern.com/index.asp
http://www.furnitalia.com/index.php

Don't limit yourself to just furniture either. If a site just has really cool lighting or accent pieces, feel free to add it.
post #2 of 67
too lazy to compile them all, but look at my links in the product design thread for lots of lighting and some furniture sites.
post #3 of 67
post #4 of 67
Nice thread. Will be graduating in a couple of months and need to buy some furniture for a 'real' apartment soon. http://www.sleekspaces.com/ has some really cool pieces. How much did you guys spend on your first places? I can't decide how much to spend. Go for craiglist/ebay/local store basics or get some nice furniture?
post #5 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion_newbie View Post
Nice thread. Will be graduating in a couple of months and need to buy some furniture for a 'real' apartment soon.
http://www.sleekspaces.com/ has some really cool pieces.
How much did you guys spend on your first places? I can't decide how much to spend. Go for craiglist/ebay/local store basics or get some nice furniture?

The answer may depend on what kind of apartment you end up with, and how big it is. Most guys start out with a small space, so you'll have to outfit it appropriately. A huge bed will look absurd in a tiny room. Certain spaces demand to be decorated in certain styles, or at least in styles of proportionate scale.

Besides that, tastes change. It would be nice to be able to say "buy stuff you'll have forever," but the stuff you like now may not be the same stuff you like 10 years from now. My suggestion would be to buy second-hand, if you can. And buy decent stuff, made from wood, that you can resell for what you paid. A lot of the particleboard stuff just has to be dumped in the trash. If you can get your money back, then you have time to figure out what you really like, especially if you're just now starting to look into furniture/design.
post #6 of 67
In Chicago, NYC, or San Francisco, I wouldn't hesitate to furnish my first place from Craigslist. If you're picky and patient I'm sure you can find some incredible pieces.
post #7 of 67
post #8 of 67
Yea, I'm looking at one bedroom or Studio. Size wise, around 800 sq ft I think. Another thing for me to consider is that I will work for 2-4 years and then go back to grad school. I can take a couple of items with me but probably not everything. I can store some things too. The thing with something like Craiglist is that I won't get the pieces I want. I want it to be more modern and minimalistic and it will be hard to get the whole package (all the pieces) at Craiglist, for example. Whereas, something like sleekspaces has a 5-piece bedroom package which has all the elements. And all the pieces go together and look good. As for having forever, I think that is silly. Nothing I buy now, I will like in 10 years, one or two pieces aside. I guess my question is, for something I will use for, lets say, three years, how much should I spend? And obviously, this depends on my income as well but lets ignore that for the moment. This is a living space and a bedroom basically. No dining room as such. TheHoff, I will be moving to Chicago so yes, I have access to quite a bit. I suppose I can start off with a bed and the kitchen utensils and take my time with the other stuff on Craiglist. Besides, speaking to my fellow I-Bankers, I don't think I'll be spending much time at home anyways.
post #9 of 67
post #10 of 67
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
Besides that, tastes change. It would be nice to be able to say "buy stuff you'll have forever," but the stuff you like now may not be the same stuff you like 10 years from now. My suggestion would be to buy second-hand, if you can. And buy decent stuff, made from wood, that you can resell for what you paid. A lot of the particleboard stuff just has to be dumped in the trash. If you can get your money back, then you have time to figure out what you really like, especially if you're just now starting to look into furniture/design.

Going second hand on some things is definitely a good idea. I know a guy that was moving that had to sell a 5k couch for $400. The upholstery was freakin' ugly, but that's something that is easily fixable. Aside from that, it had been in a formal living room that never got used. And to touch on what doc said, tastes definitely change. Not only that, but so will your apartment.
post #11 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion_newbie View Post
The thing with something like Craiglist is that I won't get the pieces I want. I want it to be more modern and minimalistic and it will be hard to get the whole package (all the pieces) at Craiglist, for example. Whereas, something like sleekspaces has a 5-piece bedroom package which has all the elements. And all the pieces go together and look good...

Matching all of your furniture is like matching a tie and pocket square... easy to do and looks like it took no effort. Enjoy the eclecticism of Craigslist! Especially in a major metro city, you will find some amazing things if you're patient. Even in Vancouver, I've found some awesome deals... LEM stools for 50% off retail, NWOT... a 1960's van der Rohe Brno chair for $200... I believe you have an Apartment Therapy Chicago which will help find Craigslist steals and deals on mid-century and modern:

http://chicago.apartmenttherapy.com/
post #12 of 67
Also in Chicago you have CB2: http://www.cb2.com Quality isn't amazing but if you mix and match with high-end, it all fits together. It is also good for accessories and lamps when your budget is running low after doing the main pieces. One more: http://www.listpic.com (You'll never browse Craigslist furniture listings once you see what Listpic does with them... seriously, try it)
post #13 of 67
post #14 of 67
post #15 of 67
www.ikea.com
Sorry couldn't resist

A good one for the Washington metro area is
http://www.scanfurniture.com/

JB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › contemporary furniture sites