or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Taking Connections to the Next Step
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Taking Connections to the Next Step

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Does anyone have any advice on how to best use my connections to try to secure a job? I'm finishing up my degree and thinking about possibly entering the workforce, and would love to land a job at my University in student affairs/administration. I know an absolute ton of people here at various levels, including in the area I'd like to work, and am wondering the best way to basically pump them for information on positions opening up, or how to use them to help me land positions I know I'll be applying for.

I have my recommendations for any position I'd apply for already set, but would love to have people put in a good word for me or who might even be sitting on a review committee be in my court.
post #2 of 12
Ask them for a job. Really.
post #3 of 12
Let it be known to people around you , and especially those that could matter, that you want a job. Let the informal com channels work for a short bit, and then apply if they already havent offered you something.
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennglock View Post

Ask them for a job. Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootje View Post

Let it be known to people around you , and especially those that could matter, that you want a job. Let the informal com channels work for a short bit, and then apply if they already havent offered you something.

Is it ok to be that forward? The other issue is that because it's a University nobody can ever really offer me a job -- no matter what I have to go through an application/vetting process for legal reasons.
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post


Is it ok to be that forward? The other issue is that because it's a University nobody can ever really offer me a job -- no matter what I have to go through an application/vetting process for legal reasons.

Thats exactly why you want to build support before you apply for the job. And don't kid yourself, even though they can never directly offer you a job, they can 'urge' you to apply, in extreme cases molding the vetting process so you can fit in.

For clarification, I urged my gf to do exactly the same a few months ago at her uni, as she wants to do a phd. The minute she let it be known to her colleagues there that she wanted in, they started thinking for her, coming up with multiple options. At the end of the educational year, she now has two options: either do a full-time phd at uni, or a part-time phd at some law firm.

So talk with people you trust there about what you want, be humble and they might actually do part of the work for you..
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post


Is it ok to be that forward? The other issue is that because it's a University nobody can ever really offer me a job -- no matter what I have to go through an application/vetting process for legal reasons.
it isn't easy to "let it be known" you want to work there, without being very direct and upfront about it .. but it can be done.

I've steered conversations in that direction by .. asking someone you know best in the group you want to work for, if someone has left recently or if anyone is planning on leaving. Take that to what sort of qualifications the person who left or the person you're talking to had when the started, and lines like "oh, so I would be qualified then". In these uncertain economic times, lots of groups have open vacancies that aren't being re-filled. So odd's are someone left that has been left unfilled for sometime - a good way to get the person you're talking to to start bitching about being understaffed.

If they say they have a vacancy, that is likely to become available, and they think you would be a good fit .. then straight up ask for it.

Being at a University is easy .. as it's easy for you to just be "around", and easy to just meet someone for a coffee/lunch/beer.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
had a long talk with my direct superior at one of my jobs who I'm pretty friendly with. was very upfront and told him that I want a full time positon, and these are the positions on my radar. he said he'd do what he could to help me, and that additionally he knows of a position opening up in the next twelve months or so that I should be the best qualified for, and that he will keep giving me responsibilities that will groom me for that position.

now to set up a bunch of meetings with other people I know..
post #8 of 12
Good for you!
post #9 of 12
Good luck Teger. It sounds like you're on the right path.
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that..

I have my eye on several positions, and my back up plan is to apply for an M.Ed in Counseling (which will open the gates to any high ed job), and hopefully secure funding for that through a teaching assistantship that I have an in for. But the best case would just be a fulltime position.
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teger View Post

had a long talk with my direct superior at one of my jobs who I'm pretty friendly with. was very upfront and told him that I want a full time positon, and these are the positions on my radar. he said he'd do what he could to help me, and that additionally he knows of a position opening up in the next twelve months or so that I should be the best qualified for, and that he will keep giving me responsibilities that will groom me for that position.

now to set up a bunch of meetings with other people I know..
This is the right approach. For many jobs, even those that require searches, there is often an internal candidate who all but has the job. Keep making it known what you want, and in the meantime, keep your nose clean.

By the way, what happened to the plan for getting a Ph.D.?
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post

This is the right approach. For many jobs, even those that require searches, there is often an internal candidate who all but has the job. Keep making it known what you want, and in the meantime, keep your nose clean.

By the way, what happened to the plan for getting a Ph.D.?

as much as I love studying history, a ph.d was not in the cards. I was offered a slot in a good program by my advisor, but there's no way I can do another 6-8 years of school. I can do 2, but no more. and the salary/job prospects are so poor right now for a history ph.d that it's just not a good choice. virtually any starting administrative/advising position makes as much as a professor, with much better prospects

i eventually want to get one (and will need to if my career trajectory works out like I want to), but it'll be in education -- much easier and faster.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Business, Careers & Education
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Business, Careers & Education › Taking Connections to the Next Step