or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Poor Man's Guide to Dressing Well
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A Poor Man's Guide to Dressing Well - Page 2

post #16 of 20
I have never been able to savvy the taboo against blue odd trousers. I think the harmonize well with a lot of different jackets--brown, olive, gray, tan, etc.
post #17 of 20
JLib - that's great if you have brown, olive, gray, and tan jackets. There's no real taboo, except most guys don't have jackets in those colors. This is, after all, the "poor man's guide" thread. If a man's only going to buy a few dress outfits, blue odd trousers should probably not be among them.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoto Chan View Post

JLib - that's great if you have brown, olive, gray, and tan jackets. There's no real taboo, except most guys don't have jackets in those colors. This is, after all, the "poor man's guide" thread. If a man's only going to buy a few dress outfits, blue odd trousers should probably not be among them.

Interesting point, but I think any guy with any pretense of being well dressed ought to have at least one earth-tone odd jacket in tweed or some similar fabric.
post #19 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

This isn't as good as the comments indicate. Rather, it's an example of someone who probably enjoys feeling smart and helpful dressing up limited knowledge as fact in a friendly, lengthy way. First of all, the tie advice is lousy (ties certainly are not "forever"). Later on, the pants style advice is quite subjective (pleats are fine for some). "Avoid patterns [for shirts] early on" - wrong in most cases. "Overly structured shoulder" is misleading, because some men do better with built-up jacket shoulders. What in heck is meant by "elastic" in shoes? "You want your shoe to be sleak" - not true for all men and wrong in spelling. Also, a clue to the mediocre material is editing flaws (punctuation and more).

Really not sure how i tried to dress limited knowledge up as fact when I say "I am certainly not trying to state anything definitively here and certainly dont consider myself an expert on the matter, but as someone who has just outfitted himself with a working man's wardrobe I figured I'd get my thoughts down in writing so as to help anyone else in this position.", right before i begin stating all of these so called "facts." Writing a guide that works perfectly for everyone is certainly impossible, so I attempted to give a decent guide for a clueless person who is trying to dress themselves on a limited budget. Someone who might start off with something like 1 or 2 pairs of shoes, only a few pairs of pants, enough shirts to last a week, a couple of ties.  

 

Obviously ties dont last forever, but they are one-size and certainly wear less than other aspects of a wardrobe. Not everything needs to be taken literally. I'm also not attempting to write a published piece, I didnt do any editing at all, and actually wrote this fairly hastily. If I knew the editing was going to be so problematic, I might have actually read through it again before hitting submit. I also say that Im certainly open to suggestions and would love for some input so as to improve the guide as more people post. 

 

So please, if you have anything to add, I would certainly love to hear feedback so I can slip it into the guide as well as use the advice myself. Thanks. In the meantime Ill take to fixing up some of the grammar mistakes in the original post.

 

Also, mensimageconsultant, you clearly have not been in a dsw or macys or similar low end shoe section in a while. There are tons of shoes in the $100 range that feature elastic bands and such on them that are truly atrocious.

post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomiller View Post

Really not sure how i tried to dress limited knowledge up as fact when I say "I am certainly not trying to state anything definitively here and certainly dont consider myself an expert on the matter, but as someone who has just outfitted himself with a working man's wardrobe I figured I'd get my thoughts down in writing so as to help anyone else in this position.", right before i begin stating all of these so called "facts." Writing a guide that works perfectly for everyone is certainly impossible, so I attempted to give a decent guide for a clueless person who is trying to dress themselves on a limited budget. Someone who might start off with something like 1 or 2 pairs of shoes, only a few pairs of pants, enough shirts to last a week, a couple of ties.  


Obviously ties dont last forever, but they are one-size and certainly wear less than other aspects of a wardrobe. Not everything needs to be taken literally. I'm also not attempting to write a published piece, I didnt do any editing at all, and actually wrote this fairly hastily. If I knew the editing was going to be so problematic, I might have actually read through it again before hitting submit. I also say that Im certainly open to suggestions and would love for some input so as to improve the guide as more people post.

You're just not qualified to write such a guide.

As for ties, besides wear-and-tear, they go out of style (in not just width). And the thin ties that in some eras are fine on young people often will look silly years later, after weight gain. A new task, for someone, would be to poll this forum on the age of the long ties members still wear.
Quote:
So please, if you have anything to add, I would certainly love to hear feedback so I can slip it into the guide as well as use the advice myself. Thanks. In the meantime Ill take to fixing up some of the grammar mistakes in the original post.

Also, mensimageconsultant, you clearly have not been in a dsw or macys or similar low end shoe section in a while. There are tons of shoes in the $100 range that feature elastic bands and such on them that are truly atrocious.

Not correct re stores. Please post a picture of what you mean by "elastic."
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › A Poor Man's Guide to Dressing Well