or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › John Lobb St. James Oxford.... Repairable??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

John Lobb St. James Oxford.... Repairable?? - Page 2

post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwroks View Post

I think that if they accept to refurbish these, they will probably replaced the whole upper with new leather. Maybe replacing the whole shoes...

Yes. Exactly why I think repair will be at least as expensive as a new shoe.

But chogall is right. It's time to get the opinion of an expert cobbler/cordwainer or several. There is no point in soliciting further opinion here - you need quotes, not guesses.
post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post


So a repair job on that will cost $5000?


Better ask JL or any cobbler/shoemakers around your area.  The number of people replied that have experience, knowledge, or expertise regarding your issue on this thread would most likely be zero.  And the number of people on this thread having bespoke shoe experience would be very close to zero.


I agree that few people would know offhand what it would take to repair this kind of damage if at all.

Having bespoke shoe experience doesn't really come into play here other than knowing who to call instead of posting here.
post #18 of 35
Thread Starter 

"I'm afraid that repairs do have to be paid for. Since all our work is by hand it can be quite expensive. Upper repairs can cost up to £100 and resoling is sually around £700. The shoes, judging from your pictures, look as though they are worth resoling. There is only a limited amount one can do to the uppers like renewing broken stitching and beading.It is not possible to say that they will look like new shoes again I'm afraid."

   -John Hunter Lobb

 

I got a replied from them. $1200 for a repair... do you guys think it will worth the cost? or should I just get an OTR John Lobb?

 

Or should I take the shoes to the shoemaker around my area and have them fix it for 1/10th of the quotes?

 

P.S. I got the shoes for free.

 

Thanks.

post #19 of 35
Buy the best fitting RTW shoe you can for the $1200.
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

Buy the best fitting RTW shoe you can for the $1200.

FTW.
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyasih View Post

Buy the best fitting RTW shoe you can for the $1200.

This.

If you want to also see what you can do to the shoe for a couple hundred, go ahead. But don't invest $1200 in repairs just because the shoe cost more than that. It's not like they were made for your feet, in which case the calculus would be different.

Btw, I stand corrected on the repair cost - not as much as a new shoe. Though I note that they are more or less not offering to do anything to the upper at all, and the bulk of the expense is from resoling. I take this as more or less indicative of such a repair not being cost effective vs. buying a new pair.
post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwroks View Post

"I'm afraid that repairs do have to be paid for. Since all our work is by hand it can be quite expensive. Upper repairs can cost up to £100 and resoling is sually around £700. The shoes, judging from your pictures, look as though they are worth resoling. There is only a limited amount one can do to the uppers like renewing broken stitching and beading.It is not possible to say that they will look like new shoes again I'm afraid."

   -John Hunter Lobb

 

I got a replied from them. $1200 for a repair... do you guys think it will worth the cost? or should I just get an OTR John Lobb?

 

Or should I take the shoes to the shoemaker around my area and have them fix it for 1/10th of the quotes?

 

P.S. I got the shoes for free.

 

Thanks.

 

The key question is, how do they fit?

 

Seems like the bulk of the cost is for resoling (which cannot be done by cobblers that does not how to stitch/sew outsoles).

 

Have you contacted Foster & Sons for a repair quote?  Or any of your local/regional shoemakers?

 

p.s., did you ask JL London about the possibility of only upper repair without a re-sole?  That would only be 100 GBP + shipping.  But it seems like they might want to increase the value of the invoice...

post #23 of 35
Thread Starter 

They are coming here in the States next month. Maybe I could bring these to them.

post #24 of 35
£700 for a re-sole?! That takes the piss.

Try Richard at Shoehealer.
Edited by rabiesinfrance - 1/19/13 at 3:41am
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwroks View Post

"I'm afraid that repairs do have to be paid for. Since all our work is by hand it can be quite expensive. Upper repairs can cost up to £100 and resoling is sually around £700. The shoes, judging from your pictures, look as though they are worth resoling. There is only a limited amount one can do to the uppers like renewing broken stitching and beading.It is not possible to say that they will look like new shoes again I'm afraid."

   -John Hunter Lobb

 

I got a replied from them. $1200 for a repair... do you guys think it will worth the cost? or should I just get an OTR John Lobb?

 

Or should I take the shoes to the shoemaker around my area and have them fix it for 1/10th of the quotes?

 

P.S. I got the shoes for free.

 

Thanks.

They look like something the cat dragged in. Throw they back in the garbage where you found them and wrap them up tightly so some dog doesn't chew on them and get ill. It seems that you're all label-whores

on this poor kid's "fashion" forum. These were made for some well off man(and fit only his foot) and then likely given to some tramp who later just threw them in the garbage.

Why would you waste money on a ratty old piece of leather?

post #26 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latour View Post

They look like something the cat dragged in. Throw they back in the garbage where you found them and wrap them up tightly so some dog doesn't chew on them and get ill. It seems that you're all label-whores
on this poor kid's "fashion" forum. These were made for some well off man(and fit only his foot) and then likely given to some tramp who later just threw them in the garbage.
Why would you waste money on a ratty old piece of leather?

Troll
post #27 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance View Post

Troll

He's a troll, and he's been running similar shtick on other threads recently. That being said, he is sort of right in this case. I'm not sure why someone would waste money on a pair of shoes that look like they lost a fight with a St. Bernard.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texas View Post


He's a troll, and he's been running similar shtick on other threads recently. That being said, he is sort of right in this case. I'm not sure why someone would waste money on a pair of shoes that look like they lost a fight with a St. Bernard.

 

Why?  Its not a complicated repair and judging from the two royal warrants, the pair is not that old.

post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

Why?  Its not a complicated repair and judging from the two royal warrants, the pair is not that old.

If that damage is the result of dry rot, which seems quite possible, then the leather has started oxidizing and breaking down. Dry rot is irreversible. At best you can patch a new piece of leather to the heel counter, but the rest of the upper will probably fall apart shortly thereafter.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Texas View Post


He's a troll, and he's been running similar shtick on other threads recently. That being said, he is sort of right in this case. I'm not sure why someone would waste money on a pair of shoes that look like they lost a fight with a St. Bernard.

If he did't see the Lobb name on it he would think it was some old worn out cheap junk.Labelwhore, that's all.

You can buy 3 Peals (or whatever) or 4-5 AE and they'll FIT for $1200.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › John Lobb St. James Oxford.... Repairable??