or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Only Available in Italy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Only Available in Italy

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

I will be living in Naples, Italy for the next 18 months.  Does anyone have any suggestions for items that I should buy while I'm here?  It seems like a waste of an opportunity to spend my money on items easily available in the US.  What are the items only available here?

I'd appreciate any suggestions,

Thank you!

post #2 of 21
Women, wine and food...
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien View Post

Women, wine and food...


Ahh- well, as for the first, my beautiful wife would be most disappointed in me!  The food and wine has been extraordinary though! 

We have been here for about 18 months already and as I hit the half-way point I am ready to start picking up some dream items.  Just got fitted for an Anna Matuozzo shirt, looking forward to some other must-haves! 

post #4 of 21
Outside of fine tailoring, perhaps some art and small trinkets like those coral "horno" bracelets many Neapolitans tend to wear (I bought a few biggrin.gif). Fishing and indulging in great cuisine, while taken for granted, is something I would do much more of.
post #5 of 21
Berlusconi's villa.

But seriously, I want to visit Italy myself at some point in the near future, so if there's anything you'd recommend, I'd like to know.

You should check out the Brunello Cucinelli factory town (Salomeo?) They have a factory store where you can find rare items.
post #6 of 21
I once spent an entire weekend looking at crèches in Naples with an Italian from Torino who now lives in NYC. I can honestly say I've never seen such a wide variety of manger scenes anywhere else in the world.

One thing I've brought back from Italy in the past and cannot find here is a stove-top toasting device. It's two perforated sheets of metal with a metal handle that slides open to accomodate a slice of bread. You place it directly on the flame and turn it once one side is done. I would have loved to have had one during the recent blackout here in the city!
post #7 of 21
Suit made by Rubinacci?
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC View Post

I once spent an entire weekend looking at crèches in Naples with an Italian from Torino who now lives in NYC. I can honestly say I've never seen such a wide variety of manger scenes anywhere else in the world.

One thing I've brought back from Italy in the past and cannot find here is a stove-top toasting device. It's two perforated sheets of metal with a metal handle that slides open to accomodate a slice of bread. You place it directly on the flame and turn it once one side is done. I would have loved to have had one during the recent blackout here in the city!


I'll keep an eye out for the toaster!  My wife and I went to "Christmas Alley" last year to look at the precipios last year.  I know they are really famous here.  I'll have to do some research on where to find a good one.

Thanks for the reply!


Edited by AmericanGent - 1/15/13 at 1:54pm
post #9 of 21
A Talarico Umbrella.
post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR View Post

Suit made by Rubinacci?

 

Now that is some good advice!

 

I don't know if I can swing a Rubi!  I spoke with the author of "Tailor Made in Naples" and in his quest he landed with Gennaro Solito.   With prices at about 1800euro I think I might be able to get into a Solito. 

Thanks!

 

http://www.afar.com/magazine/tailor-made-in-naples

post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchoy View Post

A Talarico Umbrella.


I have been reading about the Talarico store.  I'll have to stop in and see next time I head into town.  Have you seen one?  I've seen a few pictures here on SF. 

Thank you!

post #12 of 21
Talarico umbrellas are generally, imo, reasonably priced. They lack the fine finish of their pricier counterparts (Brigg, James Smith, Maglia), but the solid shafts seem reasonably sturdy and functionally similar. I'd caution against their metal shaft umbrellas however (I bought a fold-able one since I have a number of solid shafts), and I used it once/twice (no knocks, nothing), and somehow, I just realized that the shaft is slightly bent with chips along the pointed parts. It's likely due to the poor quality control, and rough construction, and I think that the metal shafts, unlike the hardwood shafts, don't respond well to rough handling during the umbrella construction process. Should have checked the umbrella before I left the shop.
post #13 of 21
Shops to visit (even if you don't get anything):

Cappelli, Cilento, Marinella, Caccioppoli, Solito, Panico, de L'Ero shirts, Magnifique, Attollini, Rubinacci, Piccolo, Ambrosi, Formosa, Gallo etc.

No particular order.
post #14 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post

Shops to visit (even if you don't get anything):

Cappelli, Cilento, Marinella, Caccioppoli, Solito, Panico, de L'Ero shirts, Magnifique, Attollini, Rubinacci, Piccolo, Ambrosi, Formosa, Gallo etc.

No particular order.


That's a great list, thanks.  I went hunting for Capellini last Saturday but I missed it- I realize that I need to go into the courtyard.  I stopped at the E. Marinella storefront, but I have not looked for the bigger store that I have heard about.  I have been in Magnifique, but none of the other names you mention.  Thanks a lot for the information. 

How are the shirts from de L'Ero? 

post #15 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboysdontcryy View Post

Talarico umbrellas are generally, imo, reasonably priced. They lack the fine finish of their pricier counterparts (Brigg, James Smith, Maglia), but the solid shafts seem reasonably sturdy and functionally similar. I'd caution against their metal shaft umbrellas however (I bought a fold-able one since I have a number of solid shafts), and I used it once/twice (no knocks, nothing), and somehow, I just realized that the shaft is slightly bent with chips along the pointed parts. It's likely due to the poor quality control, and rough construction, and I think that the metal shafts, unlike the hardwood shafts, don't respond well to rough handling during the umbrella construction process. Should have checked the umbrella before I left the shop.


I was thinking this week that a Talarico might be a great gift for my father-in-law.  He's a sharp-dressed Japanese businessman and has a keen eye for quality.  He has sent me some beautiful gifts over the years and I owe him one.  But maybe when I get there I'll get selfish...we'll see!

Thanks again for the info about Talarico- I appreciate it! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Only Available in Italy