Originally Posted by Scabal Fanatic
I was reading the whole post on the forum and I saw that you have extensive knowledge of watches so I would like to ask you a question.
In your opinion, which watch should I buy if I have around $10,000 to spend? I understand that your "view" of a watch is like mine, rare thing in 2013...
I am looking for a classical watch (under 40 mm), a good movement (maybe mechanical, maybe not), no need for gold or diamonds (only increase the price for the look, not quality related to me).
Yesterday, I was looking at the Jaeger Le Coultre web site and the Master section caught my attention. The "Master Réserve de Marche", calibre 938 seemed nice and in my price range. Would that be a good choice?
I know the top 4 brands in the world but right now, cannot afford them. If you have suggestions, I would really appreciate them.
1. I could give you my preferences but they may not fit you or your lifestyle.
2. I would highly recommend getting a mechanical watch and not a quartz watch.
3. Watches tend to be personal and many people have different likes, dislikes and opinions. For the price your paying I would highly recommend taking sometime and make sure you have done some research to ensure your getting something you'll be happy with not only now, but potentially 20 years or even 40 years from now.
4. Do yourself a favor and check the cost of servicing (Even quartz watches require servicing.) , and resale value just in case you change your mind later. Some watches do tend to resale at a lesser value later. Some of these also can be had at greater discount up front as well. Do the math, just in case. Invest sometime and get a keeper and these things won't matter as much.
5. Check to see if the movement was made in house or not. This matters to some and some do not. JLC in house by the way.
6. Rolex, IWC, JLC, and Omega sell some pretty nice options at or around this price point. For a bit more you could even get an AP. Get the one that sings to you. If I gave you my choice at this price point I would get some that would agree and some who would disagree with me.
7. Your current option by the way is a great choice, that is if that's the one you like the most.