or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › First proper watch
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First proper watch - Page 2

post #16 of 69
Based on your description, 42mm 8500 Omega PO.

post #17 of 69
Vote for something mass produced a la Omega above.
post #18 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGLL View Post

 That Omega Aqua Terra is another that I have been keeping an eye on and is absolutely stunning.  Does anyone have any experience with owning one?  

 

Yes - the AT pictured was mine.  I reluctantly let it go when a local opportunity emerged to purchase something of a dream watch for me (Moser Mayu in rose gold).  I'd easily buy another.  Omega's new 8500 and 9300 (choronograph) series of movements are world class in every respect.  Some more pics for you:

 

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

post #19 of 69

That Grand Seiko is super nice.  It will be out of the price range brand new, but it is a great find when used.

post #20 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa kot View Post

That Grand Seiko is super nice. It will be out of the price range brand new, but it is a great find when used.

The Grand Seiko is actually an excellent watch. You are however, incorrect, they can be had within the OP's price range new. They are around ~40mm for the standard automatic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster View Post

Based on your description, 42mm 8500 Omega PO.


Omega makes a solid watch, but there have been a fair amount of complaints with their servicing center which makes me dubious about their long term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGLL View Post

 A 39mm RO auto would be the perfect watch for me right now but it is out of budget.  In your opinion what makes the Explorer 1 stand out over the Ingenieurs I posted? 

I find the Explorer I design more classic and timeless than the Ingenieur. The non-vintage Ingenieur looks a hair trendy to me, but this is all just my opinion. From a quality standpoint, both Rolex and IWC make excellent watches and you would be well served by either one.

In the end, pick the one you like best, we are just people in the internet. However, if you really like the RO the best, hands down. You should save up and get the one you want most when you can afford it.
post #21 of 69
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss17 View Post


The Grand Seiko is actually an excellent watch. You are however, incorrect, they can be had within the OP's price range new. They are around ~40mm for the standard automatic.


Omega makes a solid watch, but there have been a fair amount of complaints with their servicing center which makes me dubious about their long term.
I find the Explorer I design more classic and timeless than the Ingenieur. The non-vintage Ingenieur looks a hair trendy to me, but this is all just my opinion. From a quality standpoint, both Rolex and IWC make excellent watches and you would be well served by either one.

In the end, pick the one you like best, we are just people in the internet. However, if you really like the RO the best, hands down. You should save up and get the one you want most when you can afford it.

 

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated.  Being 24, I could deal with the 3227-01's 'trendyness'! I must say that I do have a soft spot for the IWC, I dont know why as I have never even seen it in person... I do really like the RO and I could afford it now but I can't justify myself spending that much on my first proper watch.  

 

I do really like the look of the Omega Aqua Terra.  Is there anyone who owns an Ingenieur here who can give me advice on its ownership? 

post #22 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss17 View Post
Omega makes a solid watch, but there have been a fair amount of complaints with their servicing center which makes me dubious about their long term.
I find the Explorer I design more classic and timeless than the Ingenieur.

 

I've heard / read a huge number complaints about Rolex service.  They seem to regard the watch as theirs, not yours, and aren't really good about taking direction from the customer. 

post #23 of 69
Rolex service has always been on the money for me, Omega, on the other hand(pun intended) has not.

I have an acqua terra (2502.80) and when it was serviced, it took a year to get the blue dial back in stock. They actually put a white dial on it to hold me over.
FWIW, i prefer the 2502.80 to the one pictured in the earlier post. The dial is a simple blue, not recessed and tone on tone which, to me, is a little too busy
post #24 of 69
I have the Explorer I that has popped up in this thread a few times. It seems like the OP isn't drawn to it, which is fine, but I love its versatility. If I were in his position I would skip on the IWC (I believe it uses an ETA movement? Please research on your own as I could be wrong).

The three best watches besides the Explorer that have been mentioned here are

-Grand Seiko
-GO Senator Sixties (this is stunning in person. I will have a watch like this in the future)
-Omega Aqua Terra

The Grand Seiko and GO are a small step above the AT in terms of quality (the GS more so I'd venture to say), but they're all great pieces with wonderful in house movements.
post #25 of 69
Tool/Dive watch, my first thought is Breitling... maybe Galactic 41... or if you want something with a more eye catching bracelet, maybe Superocean Heritage. Both of those should be in range new.
post #26 of 69

I stand corrected. You can find a Grand Seiko for under $4K.  I was looking for a Hi-Beat edition for myself and that had a premium price tag.

 

If I were the OP and indeed wanted to get something in that price range, I'd go with a Grand Seiko in a heart beat.  There was a comparison on a Japanese forum where a Grand Seiko and a Rolex were reviewed under a significant magnification.  A Rolex stood no chance against the superb hand finish of a GS. 

post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa kot View Post

I stand corrected. You can find a Grand Seiko for under $4K.  I was looking for a Hi-Beat edition for myself and that had a premium price tag.

If I were the OP and indeed wanted to get something in that price range, I'd go with a Grand Seiko in a heart beat.  There was a comparison on a Japanese forum where a Grand Seiko and a Rolex were reviewed under a significant magnification.  A Rolex stood no chance against the superb hand finish of a GS. 

I do agree with you that the grand seiko is a great watch. But the fact of the matter is that for that price you could have gotten a Omega or a Rolex. They might not be as good as the Grand Seiko especially at that price point, but you have to take into account the fact that it is a Rolex. It really shouldn't matter as the general consensus of this forum is quality over brand name but this is going to be his go too dress watch so i would highly advise against the Seiko just for the fact that it is a Seiko. Again i must state that i have nothing against the brand and do agree that in some cases they are superior to Rolex's but if i were to have just one watch i would go for the rolex (and this sounds very bad) simply because it is a "Rolex". If you go for the seiko theres always going to be that nagging feeling in the back of your head that you should have gone for the rolex. Now if i had a Patek, a Vacheron, Lange, Breguet etc already and was choosing a sports watch and had to choose between the Grand Seiko and Rolex, that would be a completely different story. Again no offense meant in this post this is just my view.
post #28 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post


I do agree with you that the grand seiko is a great watch. But the fact of the matter is that for that price you could have gotten a Omega or a Rolex. They might not be as good as the Grand Seiko especially at that price point, but you have to take into account the fact that it is a Rolex. It really shouldn't matter as the general consensus of this forum is quality over brand name but this is going to be his go too dress watch so i would highly advise against the Seiko just for the fact that it is a Seiko. Again i must state that i have nothing against the brand and do agree that in some cases they are superior to Rolex's but if i were to have just one watch i would go for the rolex (and this sounds very bad) simply because it is a "Rolex". If you go for the seiko theres always going to be that nagging feeling in the back of your head that you should have gone for the rolex. Now if i had a Patek, a Vacheron, Lange, Breguet etc already and was choosing a sports watch and had to choose between the Grand Seiko and Rolex, that would be a completely different story. Again no offense meant in this post this is just my view.

 

I see your point and in a sense. If you want to have one and only one watch, I'd get it from the top four (Patek, Vacheron, Audemars, Breguet) or Lange (the future member of the top 5).  And it means saving some money first.

 

 

 

To the OP:  Have you checked Timezone.com or Rolexforums.com? You should hang around there and read some posts. 

post #29 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post


I do agree with you that the grand seiko is a great watch. But the fact of the matter is that for that price you could have gotten a Omega or a Rolex. They might not be as good as the Grand Seiko especially at that price point, but you have to take into account the fact that it is a Rolex. It really shouldn't matter as the general consensus of this forum is quality over brand name but this is going to be his go too dress watch so i would highly advise against the Seiko just for the fact that it is a Seiko. Again i must state that i have nothing against the brand and do agree that in some cases they are superior to Rolex's but if i were to have just one watch i would go for the rolex (and this sounds very bad) simply because it is a "Rolex". If you go for the seiko theres always going to be that nagging feeling in the back of your head that you should have gone for the rolex. Now if i had a Patek, a Vacheron, Lange, Breguet etc already and was choosing a sports watch and had to choose between the Grand Seiko and Rolex, that would be a completely different story. Again no offense meant in this post this is just my view.

 

To be honest, that sounds supremely cynical. :)

post #30 of 69

I think the IWC is a good option, but there are plenty of options out there at that price point to include used and vintage as well. A vintage watch probably would not be the best option for you at this point. It really just depends on what your looking for and how much time your willing to spend researching this purchase. I personally expect a watch that cost this much to last a lifetime, and if you care for it properly it very easily can last a lifetime. If you plan to make this your one and only watch it surely would be worth it to take sometime and look around. Personally I would highly recomend a used but not vintage Rolex at that price point for your first watch, but you have already decided a Rolex does not work for you. Besides you need to find the watch that works for you.

 

I would recomend taking sometime and checking some manufactures websites and watch forums first if you have yet to do so. Also visit a decent number of ADs and try some on.


Edited by dddrees - 1/15/13 at 3:48am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › First proper watch