or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Which of these watches do you suggest?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which of these watches do you suggest?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

Thinking of getting a new one in the $300-500 range, black band, for casual wear. What do you think of these options? 

 

http://www.mrporter.com/product/321966?cm_mmc=ProductSearch-_-US-_-Watches-_-Grande&gclid=CKznp7G447QCFcKPPAodqmcAXw

 

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/watches/watch-detail/?model=CA0255-01E

 

http://www.maxbillwatches.com/junghans-diplomat-chronograph-041488300-p-132.html

 

http://www.victorinox.com/us/product/Timepieces/Category/Classic/Infantry-Vintage-Chronograph/241578;jsessionid=1E0350B4A31DC6F9DD3FD43971A3EEDA.vxhyb30_hyb1

post #2 of 21

Hi BobStrauss,

 

I will tell you one thing. All watches under $1,000 "are the same", work with Chinese movement, being ETA, done in a fast pace in a factory where poor people work.

 

Any that you find nice and affordable is good. 

post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 

Well I keep reading that's not as true as it used to be, though it isn't really a concern. I am not a real watch connoisseur, but I want something respectable that looks good in the sub-$1000 range. Budget-wise it would make little sense for me to go beyond $700. 

post #4 of 21
Fuckin people on this forum, assholes the lot of them.

Here's some good options for you in your range or slightly higher (you can shop around or check out used as well):

http://www.kentwang.com/accessories/bauhaus-watch.html

http://www.authenticwatches.com/hamilton-jazzmaster-h32411555.html

http://www.authenticwatches.com/tissot-le-locle-t41142333.html

Personally, I'd save up a bit more and bump up to something like Stowa or Archimede
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post

Fuckin people on this forum, assholes the lot of them.

Here's some good options for you in your range or slightly higher (you can shop around or check out used as well):

http://www.kentwang.com/accessories/bauhaus-watch.html

http://www.authenticwatches.com/hamilton-jazzmaster-h32411555.html

http://www.authenticwatches.com/tissot-le-locle-t41142333.html

Personally, I'd save up a bit more and bump up to something like Stowa or Archimede

 

 

Thanks for the advice! I'm really into black faces on watches though. I took your suggestion and looked at Stowa. What do you think about this one?

 

http://www.stowa.de/lshop,showdetail,13581014734213,en,1358101861-8267,,partitio,,,.htm

 

I love it but I'm concerned that a 37 mm watch might be a bit small. 

post #6 of 21

Rambo, you have your opinion but saying it like that will not help your case...

 

BobStrauss, I'm sure you will be able to find a watch matching your needs in your range by looking on Google or with other members of the forum. If you ever need advice on a more expensive watch one day, just let me know and I will be happy to help you. 

 

In my opinion, Tissot, Citizen (as you mentioned) and Swatch would be good choices (at least known brands that have good quality for the range). Just try to stay away from unknown brands because when it will break, the price to repair is about the price of the watch... Just forget the brands that does clothing for watches... They are really bad. 

post #7 of 21

What about Hamilton, Luminox, Swiss Army/ Victorinox?

they appear to be in the price range you are looking for and quality to boot.

post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabal Fanatic View Post

Hi BobStrauss,

I will tell you one thing. All watches under $1,000 "are the same", work with Chinese movement, being ETA, done in a fast pace in a factory where poor people work.

Any that you find nice and affordable is good. 

It's funny that you don't think Seiko exists.
post #9 of 21

If you're going to wear a cheap watch then just get a basic Swiss Army.I haven't worn a watch since I was a kid and think it's rather common to wear one on your wrist unless you're in a profession that requires you to time things, but even then only at work,although even here you would usually have precision timers.Men should not wear jewellery not even a wedding band (females can)

post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabal Fanatic View Post

Hi BobStrauss,

I will tell you one thing. All watches under $1,000 "are the same", work with Chinese movement, being ETA, done in a fast pace in a factory where poor people work.

Any that you find nice and affordable is good. 

Im not really sure if i agree with that statement but if you are going by that then a lot of Omegas and tags have ETA movements so they should be lumped into that category as well according to you......
post #11 of 21
Thread Starter 
I think I'm gonna go with the Stowa Partitio. $760 shipped.
post #12 of 21
The Sinn 556 should be in your price range:

http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/Sinn-556-A-on-Strap-18p1542.htm

post #13 of 21

+1 for the Sinn

 

A used Sinn is a one of the best values in the market.  You simply cannot go wrong with it.  If you cannot find one with your price range, save up some $$$ and get it. 

post #14 of 21

jeff13007,

 

You are right, even some watches at $5,000 are still ETA movements and by my standards, cheap watches. The price of a watch (as many other items in life) is not the first sign of true quality. 

 

Omega and Tags are, for some watches, not so good but so expensive. Rare are the companies that have "real in-house" movements on most of their watches. I'm still waiting to get enough money to buy a real watch, a worthy one. 

post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabal Fanatic View Post

jeff13007
,

You are right, even some watches at $5,000 are still ETA movements and by my standards, cheap watches. The price of a watch (as many other items in life) is not the first sign of true quality. 

Omega and Tags are, for some watches, not so good but so expensive. Rare are the companies that have "real in-house" movements on most of their watches. I'm still waiting to get enough money to buy a real watch, a worthy one. 

I really wouldn't worry to much about "in house movements". There are companies out there that have used movements from other makers and still produce top tier watches. Breguet has used Valjune for their type 20 if I'm not mistake and VC, PP, AP all have at one point or another used JLC movements, PP not anymore, AP not too sure about, and VC has just recently started moving back to in house movements. I mean does a VC having a JLC movement mean its inferior to a Patek with an in house movement? I really wouldn't think so and at that level its really just nitpicking. I mean its nice to say that it has an in house movement but i really wouldn't think that using another makers movement diminishes the value of the watch.

P.S: Cartier also uses JLC movements and are also moving some models to in house but as of last week they still have models that use JLC movements. I purposely left this out because i didn't want to catch flak for putting cartier in the same sentence as the "holy trinity" of watchmakers.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Which of these watches do you suggest?