or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Authenticity Check: BURBERRY PRORSUM DOUBLE BREASTED TRENCH
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Authenticity Check: BURBERRY PRORSUM DOUBLE BREASTED TRENCH

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

i just bought this from a guy off craigslist.  he seemed legit and the quality of the jacket is outstanding but you just never know...

Burberry experts, please chime in and give me your opinion of this jacket.  the only thing that threw me off was that i couldnt find a materials tag where it tells you what the jacket is made of and how to clean it... other than that flawless.

 

700

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

EDIT: i was able to find the materials tag, it was in the inner wallet pocket.  i also found the same buttons online:

http://fit4fashion.blogspot.com/2010/01/burberry-prorsum-buttons-up-in-thier.html

 

i am waiting for the MODS to approve my positing abilities so i can answer other questions.


Edited by sbkim - 1/12/13 at 9:20pm
post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 

i probably posted this in the wrong section, etc.

im really sorry MODS, please move to the right section
 

post #3 of 12
Welcome to Styleforum.
Those buttons don't look right to me.
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 

what about the buttons dont look right?

also do you own any recent prorsum line trenches?

thanks again!

post #5 of 12

I got hold of a very similar double breasted trench from Burberry in London.  How much did it cost you out of interest? the material looks of a similar quality to mine.  The lining is completely different and the buttons aren't like any i've seen on sale.  THat's not to say it isn't real... I'd be dubious about it though.  Will post photos of mine if you'd like?

post #6 of 12
Tags and all look correct. The buttons do seem odd, though that doesn't necessarily mean it's not real. I've just never seen those buttons before. I have six Prorsum coats (including two trenches) from the last four years, and I've never seen those buttons. The lining looks correct as well.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 

thank you for your input.  so i looked at the buttons, and those are only on the front and shoulder.  the smaller buttons on the back and on the neck and the inside wallet pocket has the standard buttons. 
 

also when i looking at the buttons, i also found the materials tag in the wallet pocket... which is a relief

 

 

 

post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkim View Post

what about the buttons dont look right?
also do you own any recent prorsum line trenches?
thanks again!

I took another look at that button. It is probably the angle the photos were taken at, and the lighting that obscured the text 'Burberry Prorsum'. Last night it appeared to me as a plain ribbed button with stitching. Strange....some sort of optical illusion. I have a Burberry raincoat about 4-5 years old. 'Prorsum' specifically, not at this time.
Therefore, with regards to your coat, I still trust my instincts on it... perhaps someone else will know. The fact that the coat has no materials tag makes it very suspect. May I ask how much did you pay for it from the guy on Craigslist?
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bosworth View Post

I got hold of a very similar double breasted trench from Burberry in London.  How much did it cost you out of interest? the material looks of a similar quality to mine.  The lining is completely different and the buttons aren't like any i've seen on sale.  THat's not to say it isn't real... I'd be dubious about it though.  Will post photos of mine if you'd like?


i bought it from a random guy on craigslist for $200.  he claims he bought it at nordstrom but there is no nordstrom sticker on it.  i am assuming he stole it.  i took it to a local burberry store and they confirmed that it indeed is authentic.  he also brought/offered me a bunch of hugo boss sports coats but they were all 40R which is a little too big for me, otherwise i wouldve jumped on them! darn

post #11 of 12

I would've been suprised if it turned out to be a fake.  it looks good quality! the only other advice i can give, is;  When you come to get it cleaned (and it will need it fairly regularly, if it's anything like mine), make sure you get it dry-cleaned and REPROOFED, dear god please get it reproofed afterwards.  I got mine cleaned by a local dry cleaners and it took the coating off of the coat, making it slightly lighter in colour.  It also acts as a sponge to rain water on that rare occasion i forget my brolley!  

 

I'm not too sure about where you're living, but i assume the USA, judging by the Nordstrom reference, but here in London it is notoriously hard to find a place which offers a reproofing service.

post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bosworth View Post

I would've been suprised if it turned out to be a fake.  it looks good quality! the only other advice i can give, is;  When you come to get it cleaned (and it will need it fairly regularly, if it's anything like mine), make sure you get it dry-cleaned and REPROOFED, dear god please get it reproofed afterwards.  I got mine cleaned by a local dry cleaners and it took the coating off of the coat, making it slightly lighter in colour.  It also acts as a sponge to rain water on that rare occasion i forget my brolley!  

 

I'm not too sure about where you're living, but i assume the USA, judging by the Nordstrom reference, but here in London it is notoriously hard to find a place which offers a reproofing service.


Yes, I reside in the USA and a very rainy part of it... Seattle.  Thanks for the heads up on the water proofing.  I've never made that request but I am sure it won't be a problem.  Luckily my dad owns 3 dry cleaners, haha.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Authenticity Check: BURBERRY PRORSUM DOUBLE BREASTED TRENCH