Gentlemen (and the few ladies that will be attending),
We look forward to hosting you at Wingtip this coming Wednesday night.
The bad news first: we need to cap attendance to those that have already RSVPd to the host or earlier on this thread. Enthusiasm for this event has pleasantly surprised us both, and today, we're not in a position to host groups larger than those that have already committed while also accommodating our existing club members. Later this year, our main bar will open on another floor giving us another 8,000 sq ft to work with, and I'll look forward to hosting larger Styleforum events.
The good news:
* We're reserving the main bar area and game room for the group. There are stunning views of the Transamerica Pyramid and Coit Tower, and some little details that only people like Styleforum members will appreciate.
* I will lead two tours of the club at 7 and 7:30 for those that want to see the whole club (the floor we'll be on is 1/3 of the space we'll eventually occupy). If you need convincing to take the tour, let's just say we'll be the only club on the planet that I know of that will have private parlor rooms inspired by Velvet, Leather, Corduroy and Tweed. You'll only learn how if you come on the tour.
* We will have water, botanical colas, wine (red & white), beer, and a cocktail or punch hosted by the club. If you want something else, we'll need you to pay for it. We prefer credit cards as we don't keep cash up there. We may be able to make simple change, but credit cards preferred.
* If you love Scotch or bourbon, there will be some opportunities you won't want to pass up. There are probably a dozen single malts where fewer than 10 bottles were allocated to all of California. All of them ended up in stores for retail; we are the only bar you'll find with Brora 35, Highland Park 40, Lagavulin 21, and a host of other great whiskys by the dram, half-dram, or as part of a flight. Additionally, because we are a private club, our markup on wine & liquor is less than typical bars & restaurants, so while they are not cheap, you won't find them for less. These are, for obvious reasons, not hosted.
* We are going to try to keep the store open till 8 for those that want to browse or shop the store. We are open till 8 on Thursday nights, but we'll see what we can do about Wednesday. As of right now, no promises.
* To get to the event, you'll enter the building at 550 Montgomery. You'll see the store, but a building security guard will be at the desk if the store is closed (they are not Wingtip employees, so they won't be able to answer questions about the welting on shoes or the price of pocket squares). You'll be able to see a decent amount of the store when you enter if we aren't open. Head right to the elevator lobby and press 10. You'll exit the elevator into the club's lobby to be met with a wall full of embedded Wingtip shoes from Allen-Edmonds to Gucci to A. Testoni (none for sale as you'll see). Our pocket square library, cufflink library, and tie libraries are all in the lobby which we allow our members to borrow from. You'll walk past the pocket square library to the stairs or elevator to head up to 11 and then head down the hall to the main bar. If you see a ratio of men:pocket squares of 3:1 or less, you'll know you're in the right place.
Lastly, a couple words on etiquette. Of course we recognize that Styleforum members are all gentlemen, but better to go on record:
* Please consider leaving a tip for the service staff. They will work hard to keep you hydrated and keep your area clean, and since the club is hosting is the drinks, frankly, it's the least a gentleman would do.
* Food will be available for purchase from our kitchen. Plates include ahi tuna tartare, mini cheeseburgers, pulled pork sliders, crab cakes, truffled popcorn, rosemary toasted cashews, olives, etc. I know you're doing dinner so this is mainly for those that arrive at 6 or who are not going to dinner at 8.
* Public intoxication is not tolerated at all. Period. If you arrive at 6 and aren't eating till 8, pace yourself. And keep in mind that you are representing Styleforum. My sincere hope is that everyone enjoys the event so much -- your members and our staff -- that both can't wait to do it again.
* If the club is pretty full with Wingtip members, we may need to be strict about ending at 8; if it's manageable, we'd be happy to let lingerers linger. We'll have to play this by ear, and we hope you can appreciate our commitments to our members.
I look forward to meeting many of you Wednesday night. You can read more about the club at http://wingtip.com/club.