or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Conservative Business Dress
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Conservative Business Dress - Page 9

post #121 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post
I think you're wrong here bub.

I might have gone with "mack."
post #122 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Biz Dresser View Post
Maybe it's just me or my less advanced sense of humor but it seems like the only purpose of this thread is to ridicule a certain style of dress even if Manton's original post was done in a serious manner as I assume he owns that suit. While I actually like the ensemble on the whole I cannot help but to comment that the jacket might be more presentable if it were stored stuffed with paper as I have previously discussed and have been doing so since, as this jacket's shoulders look a bit rumpled to my eye which sort of defeats the purpose of dressing conservatively in a professional business environment.

Love stuffing things with newspaper, dontcha Kasper?
post #123 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by odoreater View Post
I think you're wrong here bub. See, in a conservative business environment you're supposed to look like you're so busy that you don't give a shit what you're wearing and the rumpled shoulders help advance that look. If your suit is not rumpled anywhere it makes you look like some dandy pantywaste who spends more time crumpling newspaper and putting it in his jacket sleeves than he does wheeling and dealing. Got it?

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that statement at all and to be honest I have never actually seen such rumpled shoulders even from the guys that I work with who wear Kenneth Cole suits. I have been stuffing my jackets just as a precaution and disagree strongly that looking messy has anything to go with dressing conservatively for a professional business environment, at least outside of being Bill Gates.
post #124 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
It's a country which surfaces in European history from time to time, but rarely in the same place.

Ha. Thats a good one.
post #125 of 390
Thread Starter 
Kasper, I'll humor you a little, on the off chance that -- just this once -- you can be gotten through to.

Newspapers won't do what you want to that suit. The reason the shoulders look "rumpled" is because they have no padding. No amount of newspaper or anything else will change that. Maybe stuffing it to the gills will work fine as long as the thing is not worn, but before the jacket is put on, the paper has to come out. And then all that fine effort will have been for naught.

And shoulder padding is NOT CONSERVATIVE. It is for designers and goombahs.
post #126 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post

And shoulder padding is NOT CONSERVATIVE. It is for designers and goombahs.

Shouder padding is for goombahs while none is for cumpa'.
post #127 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
Kasper, I'll humor you a little, on the off chance that -- just this once -- you can be gotten through to.

Newspapers won't do what you want to that suit. The reason the shoulders look "rumpled" is because they have no padding. No amount of newspaper or anything else will change that. Maybe stuffing it to the gills will work fine as long as the thing is not worn, but before the jacket is put on, the paper has to come out. And then all that fine effort will have been for naught.

And shoulder padding is NOT CONSERVATIVE. It is for designers and goombahs.


Manton, I appreciate the effort you are making but I have to go with my own professional experience as I feel comfortable that my taste level and think that my personal opinions on conservative dress are appropriate for the business environment that I am familiar with. To be honest I have never seen a suit jacket without some sort of shoulder padding and if I did I don’t think I would purchase one no matter how conservative it appeared on the hanger in the store, knowing that it could look so rumpled in the shoulders while being worn.
post #128 of 390
Never mind.
post #129 of 390
Thread Starter 
K-man, clearly your idea of sartorial conservatism is the bastard love child of un-conservative parents. To use the political analogy, it's an oxymoron like "Progressive Conservatism" or "Tory Democracy." Call it whatever you want, but riotous colors and mattress padding are not conservative. Words still have meaning.
post #130 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Biz Dresser View Post
Manton, I appreciate the effort you are making but I have to go with my own professional experience as I feel comfortable that my taste level and think that my personal opinions on conservative dress are appropriate for the business environment that I am familiar with. To be honest I have never seen a suit jacket without some sort of shoulder padding and if I did I don't think I would purchase one no matter how conservative it appeared on the hanger in the store, knowing that it could look so rumpled in the shoulders while being worn.

Blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.
post #131 of 390
Priceless thread!

The gorge is way too high to be truly conservative, though.
post #132 of 390
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdfast View Post
The gorge is way too high to be truly conservative, though.
Sounds like someone else is looking to get his @$$ kicked. Watch it, limey boy.
post #133 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc237 View Post
I might have gone with "mack."


Hey.
post #134 of 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manton View Post
K-man, clearly your idea of sartorial conservatism is the bastard love child of un-conservative parents. To use the political analogy, it's an oxymoron like "Progressive Conservatism" or "Tory Democracy." Call it whatever you want, but riotous colors and mattress padding are not conservative. Words still have meaning.

Manton, you could make your argument more respectfully if you really want to make a sincere point. While I do know that words still have meaning I can't help feeling that you seem to be minting your own, but maybe you are just trying to be sarcastic which I am only catching up with now.
post #135 of 390
The original ensemble is not at all conservative because it calls attention to itself in a blatant attempt to appear utterly bland. By doing so, it screams: "look at me, I'm conservative!!".

Drinking again Manton?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Conservative Business Dress