or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion - Page 4

post #46 of 322
Thread Starter 
Auction last night, picked up 2 nice pieces:


Flame mahogany bowfront 5 drawer chest. Keys and locks work. Its small, about 42in tall x 22in wide. Had to fight for it, its much nicer than the shitty auction pic. I'll take some photos once I give it a clean and place it.




This little side table. The patina is actually super nice, but the photo make it look like caked polyurethane. Again, will photograph.





And picked up this print recently. Really nice frame job from a shop in London.

post #47 of 322
What period is that cabinet? Nice finds.
post #48 of 322
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

What period is that cabinet? Nice finds.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing its 1910 - 1935. I'm leaning early, it has wear on the drawer rails that make it dip when closed and seem misaligned. That takes time to develop unless it was heavily used. It's a minor repair but does help place its age.
post #49 of 322
IDFNL you are buying really diverse things, imho. How do you marry them in your home or do you have 5,000 sq feet American residence where everything dissapears?smile.gif

That bow-front cabinet would look sweet in a bathroom (towel cabinet?). just my 2 cents . Sorry.

Bought this cause my grand ma had one (I don't think her version had a dick): Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M2b
Edited by Medwed - 3/1/13 at 7:24am
post #50 of 322
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

IDFNL you are buying really diverse things, imho. How do you marry them in your home or do you have 5,000 sq feet American residence where everything dissapears?smile.gif

That bow-front cabinet would look sweet in a bathroom (towel cabinet?). just my 2 cents . Sorry.

Bought this cause my grand ma had one (I don't think her version had a dick): Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, R1.1.1.M2b

Goddam, that's a pretty big hog on that dude.

It's true, I do buy very diverse stuff. My house is not huge, maybe 3500+ sq feet. I think the marriage comes from diversity. If everything was Victorian and I bring in some Asian cabinet it would look off, but when everything is a mix of periods and styles it melds. My house might not suit everyone's taste, but I buy what I like often with no thought of where it will actually go in the house.


By the way, here is that chest from a previous post:'






And this is a small arts and crafts cherry table/plant stand I got recently:


Edited by idfnl - 3/1/13 at 1:23pm
post #51 of 322
Who made the arts and crafts table?

Can I talk you into removing the random pot from that cabinet?
post #52 of 322
Do you have a picture of the carpet next to the art and crafts? I think it is very interesting. Is it a large one? I am looking for large antique carpet and would love to have a lot of blue and orange in it. BTW your house is huge by any standards.
post #53 of 322
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

Who made the arts and crafts table?

Can I talk you into removing the random pot from that cabinet?

I have no idea, but it was a decent craftsman, the fit and finish is quite good. Its a very hard cherry wood, you can tell it was well thought thru.

Ha ha, you can, but would it change your thoughts if you knew that table served as a transition from my kitchen area to dining room? Again, I have strange taste in decor but folks that see my home say it works. You'd never think a bedroom cabinet like that would work in that spot but it seems to. Anyway, the copper pot and wooden Scandinavian cheese plate do fit the space. I have some Delft blue pottery I can place there, I haven't tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

Do you have a picture of the carpet next to the art and crafts? I think it is very interesting. Is it a large one? I am looking for large antique carpet and would love to have a lot of blue and orange in it. BTW your house is huge by any standards.

That rug is an Afgnan tribal, I can take some pics of it. Its a nice rug but not terribly valuable. The most valuable carpet I have it shredded to shit, its a Ferahan Sarouk from the 1880's and is worth thousands. My father (useless) suggested I throw it away. I love that carpet, it has tons of character.

3500 sf in my area is a pool house. There are numerous 10,000 sf houses around me.
post #54 of 322
A blue pot would probably work well.
post #55 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post


I have no idea, but it was a decent craftsman, the fit and finish is quite good. Its a very hard cherry wood, you can tell it was well thought thru.

 

 

That craftsman table looks like it is 1/4 sawn white oak.  You can tell see the medullary rays in the front leg and a bit on the drawer front.  Oak is more in line with Stickley/Craftsman furniture than cherry.    

post #56 of 322
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall W View Post

That craftsman table looks like it is 1/4 sawn white oak.  You can tell see the medullary rays in the front leg and a bit on the drawer front.  Oak is more in line with Stickley/Craftsman furniture than cherry.    

The first time I saw it, I thought it was oak as well but the guy I got it from swore it was cherry. Can cherry be sawn in a way to produce that effect? You make a good point that oak is more common for this style.


For example:

post #57 of 322
Looks like oak, but a close up would help me to determine it.
post #58 of 322
Heh, perfectly timed. Currently hunting for a nice Milo Baughman recliner...
post #59 of 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post


The first time I saw it, I thought it was oak as well but the guy I got it from swore it was cherry. Can cherry be sawn in a way to produce that effect? You make a good point that oak is more common for this style.


For example:

 

Cherry can be quarter sawn, but doesn't really look like oak.  The grain is more open in oak.  There seems to be a 1/8" line on the top, is that a bevel or a piece of veneer?  It could be that the top has a cherry veneer on oak.

 

Also I would think a cherry piece that is 80-10 years old would be considerably darker, as cherry darkens with age.  

post #60 of 322
All wood darkens with age unless left outside.

*I stand corrected* - most wood darkens including both oak and cherry.
Edited by SkinnyGoomba - 3/3/13 at 8:39am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion