or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion - Page 28

post #406 of 421
Little late to the party, but I really like it. Go for it if you haven't already done so.
post #407 of 421

post #408 of 421




Perhaps there are some Limoges porcelain and Haviland lovers out there. I purchased this service for ten of Theodore Haviland china over the weekend--pictured are just a few sample pieces. The blank shape itself is decidedly simple and Art Deco in nature, and the floral/branch pattern offers a slight dose of chinoiserie. It dates to 1925. I entertain with all of my antique and vintage china, and it's quite fun to use these old pieces because you rarely see them in use anymore.
post #409 of 421
Lovely set. Like the shape very much.

I bought porcelain jardiniere on Ebay.fr

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2
Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2
Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2
post #410 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

Lovely set. Like the shape very much.

I bought porcelain jardiniere on Ebay.fr

Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2

Thank you, sir!

That's a beautiful jardiniere; I especially like that it has feet. To when does it date?
post #411 of 421
Do any of you have experience with shipping furniture from overseas to the US? I am considering some furniture from 1910. What kind of documentation do I need to bring it in as an antique?

Thanks.
post #412 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannix View Post

Thank you, sir!

That's a beautiful jardiniere; I especially like that it has feet. To when does it date?

Not sure , probably 20C. Need to study the mark on the bottom.
post #413 of 421
Pretty stoked to have found a nice set of silver in "our" pattern at a pretty good price. We collect Kirk "Repousse" pattern in some part due to the Baltimore provenance and connection. Really excited about this service for 12 (5pcs/setting) which is hallmarked as dating from 1925-1932 or thereabouts. It's in fantastic condition, the relief and detail is much deeper and crisper than the stuff we already have. Probably partly due to care and use and aging but I also believe that the workmanship in the older stuff is better. This brings us to 20 place settings, so we can now properly entertain for a crowd.



[IMG]
post #414 of 421
You prolly right, sharper pattern the older the item. How did you find it? I don't think I have seen this pattern before.
post #415 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Pretty stoked to have found a nice set of silver in "our" pattern at a pretty good price. We collect Kirk "Repousse" pattern in some part due to the Baltimore provenance and connection. Really excited about this service for 12 (5pcs/setting) which is hallmarked as dating from 1925-1932 or thereabouts. It's in fantastic condition, the relief and detail is much deeper and crisper than the stuff we already have. Probably partly due to care and use and aging but I also believe that the workmanship in the older stuff is better. This brings us to 20 place settings, so we can now properly entertain for a crowd.



[IMG]

This is a beautiful set of flatware--the detail is extraordinary. You're a fortunate owner. What pattern(s) of china do you pair with?
post #416 of 421
Thanks for the comments, gents. I was trying to get a photo of the two different "vintages" next to each other but I haven't gotten around to it. The differences are striking.

We don't have very nice china, sadly. We have enough to spend our money on with other things but I do suppose nice plateware is the next step. My wife used to collect stuff at auction and had a little collection of some stuff including some Limoges but I find it a little overly fussy. Her stuff was/is quite old and has some damage and we basically never use it. Our usual stuff is some pretty cheap Bombay Company blue and white china that I actually rather like but it's definitely not fine stuff. We also have a really cheap-o set we got as a gift that's probably from, like, Wal-Mart, but at least we have 40 matching sets of it.

Do you guys have any recommendations on where to get decent-quality stuff that looks nice but also holds up well? I am not necessarily into all-white stuff (I like it for serving pieces but I rarely am tweezing anything onto plates so a blank canvas is not necessary) and sort of like some pattern but it has to be something that can go in the dishwasher and won't break the bank.
post #417 of 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post

Thanks for the comments, gents. I was trying to get a photo of the two different "vintages" next to each other but I haven't gotten around to it. The differences are striking.

We don't have very nice china, sadly. We have enough to spend our money on with other things but I do suppose nice plateware is the next step. My wife used to collect stuff at auction and had a little collection of some stuff including some Limoges but I find it a little overly fussy. Her stuff was/is quite old and has some damage and we basically never use it. Our usual stuff is some pretty cheap Bombay Company blue and white china that I actually rather like but it's definitely not fine stuff. We also have a really cheap-o set we got as a gift that's probably from, like, Wal-Mart, but at least we have 40 matching sets of it.

Do you guys have any recommendations on where to get decent-quality stuff that looks nice but also holds up well? I am not necessarily into all-white stuff (I like it for serving pieces but I rarely am tweezing anything onto plates so a blank canvas is not necessary) and sort of like some pattern but it has to be something that can go in the dishwasher and won't break the bank.

I would suggest perusing estate sales for sets of china, as you can almost always find a set or two and for a good deal. It's hit or miss, but still fun to look even if you don't find anything. Also, give Craigslist a look every now and then. I've found many great things on there, including wool Persian rugs for a pittance.

Quality antique china has gone down in price over the last couple of decades, so you can find many great sets "on sale" today. I've purchased three sets of vintage/antique china in the last two months. My set of Noritake "Christmas Ball" was purchased at an estate sale--bought a service of 12 plus many serving pieces. It's the old green mark if you, or anyone else, are familiar with Noritake. I only paid around $150 for the set, which is incredibly low. The pattern is tasteful and certainly can be used outside of Christmas and holidays.

My other two sets were purchased at a local resale/consignment store--this particular store specializes in high quality china and glassware. My Theo Haviland set above is tasteful, high quality, and can stand the test of time. The other set is a period Art Deco set of Bavarian china with a hand-painted design that you can see on an earlier page. I also recently purchased at the same shop a more contemporary (partial) set of Meito china. I got ten dinner plates, salad plates, B&B plates, and berry bowls for $20.
post #418 of 421

I have received these two pieces from family in the past year. The first looks to be a mid-century chair, and I believe my grandfather was the original owner.

 

The second is from the 1870s, perhaps earlier. It and another piece like it were gifts from my third great-grandfather to my second. They were "done over" by a "furnitureman" at a later date (probably still late 19th century), according to an old family letter. Not sure what that means.

 

Curious if anyone could help me identify the styles/makers/anything else about them. Sorry for the crappy pic quality.

 

 

 

post #419 of 421
Last carpet for the last room. EUR 366.00 I am done with carpets.
4mx3m Iran, Koshmar (auction pic)


Signatures or some quran verses.


Edited by Medwed - 3/19/16 at 12:06pm
post #420 of 421
Beautiful rug! There's so much detail, it's just fantastic. You got a great deal, too.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion