or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion - Page 26

post #376 of 430

I promise myself every time never to listen to random professional reviewers and ignore consensus, but then comes around 50Eur bottle of Hennessy. I could not help myself. Sorry. For those who are still wondering is Hennessy better than Martell or Remy or .... They are all below average garbage. If I knew, I would have sold this bottle without opening it.

Regret buying this as it seems to be not a producer but negociant in France who is making these. to appear older than they really are.

1997 Champagne Paul Déthune Ambonnay
This Champagne turned out to be very good. Still full of fizz and intense yellow color with flower-nectar nose and strong yellow fruit flavours, not very long finish and mild acidity makes it less than great , but at 28Eur a bottle this vintage is a bargain. Very enjoyable wine.
post #377 of 430
New addition to my small table lighters collection; Hermes

post #378 of 430
Wow, you are starting to strike me as a hoarder with means. nest.gifdevil.gif
post #379 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

My new antiques, after finding XL box of my old cassettes. I could not throw them out, so I spend 110 and now this beast from 1978 is on my audio shelf. Even if it was dead...,still a design piece from analog era.


To complete the set I just got this Marantz 170DC from Swiss seller. Will try to see if horribly mastered records from 60s and 70s sound better through vintage gear. Since 170 is poweramp I should get some sort of difference in sound when I connect it to the source. If not it will be entertaining me with its pretty lights.


Quote:
Originally Posted by apropos View Post

Wow, you are starting to strike me as a hoarder with means. nest.gifdevil.gif

If 5 table lighters is hoarding then guilty as charged.
post #380 of 430
Roger Testu 1913-2008 , original ink drawings for French magazine. Very well executed ink cartoons with original annotation in French, signed Tetsu. Judging by the dress of characters 1950s-60s?
Heavy vellum paper , slightly larger than A4. Unframed.
I have no idea which frame to choose, for these; something period 1950s? Matt or no matt? Which color?shog[1].gif

post #381 of 430
Bookmatched Walnut over pine wardrobe for wood lovers. It was sold locally and fit the place I have , not my style but would do in a pinch.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 80
Gilded frame of large proportions, just though it is awesome even empty. I do hang empty frames sometimes, I like the look.
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 80
post #382 of 430
Professional Ink and pencil drawing dated 1922. Reminds me of old Finnish homes on Baltic Sea. Lovely work (throw away frame).

Edited by Medwed - 12/5/15 at 2:45pm
post #383 of 430
I went to my first auction today. Had a blast! Bid on a Tabriz rug (didn't win) and I think I bought a painting, but I thought I paid 300 and it's now listed as sold for 350 so maybe I paid 350 or maybe there was an absentee bid? We'll find out!
post #384 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post

I went to my first auction today. Had a blast! Bid on a Tabriz rug (didn't win) and I think I bought a painting, but I thought I paid 300 and it's now listed as sold for 350 so maybe I paid 350 or maybe there was an absentee bid? We'll find out!

Congrats! Perhaps the final sold for price includes commission and thus 350 instead of 300?
I bought 40cm Delft blue vase today for Eur10 at Antwerpen Xmass market. Will put it on top of my Dutch wardrobe. Need some blue to break up monotony of brown wood.
post #385 of 430
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



I haven't been to any auctions recently, but I do volunteer at a higher end consignment store that is 100% volunteer run and supports the local children's hospital and we do get in some great things--from Tiffany flatware to Ralph Lauren Home furniture. Well, recently, I purchased this Austrian set of china that has a beautiful hand painted Art Deco design. Pictured are just a few sample pieces, but I have almost everything to set a full service, from dinner plates down to the individual butter pads (last picture).
post #386 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

Congrats! Perhaps the final sold for price includes commission and thus 350 instead of 300?
I bought 40cm Delft blue vase today for Eur10 at Antwerpen Xmass market. Will put it on top of my Dutch wardrobe. Need some blue to break up monotony of brown wood.

I did end up winning it, I must have just gotten carried away with making sure my bid was in rather than paying attention to the current price, as we were well under what I was willing to pay for it. It's now home and on my wall! On the back was the original price tag or receipt from 1964 for $800, along with various labels and things indicating that it was at one point part of the collection of the Seattle Art Museum. I'm interested in how it might have come out of the collection of the SAM? I know that museums will sometimes sell paintings to raise revenue, but this painting isn't worth enough to really achieve that purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannix View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)



I haven't been to any auctions recently, but I do volunteer at a higher end consignment store that is 100% volunteer run and supports the local children's hospital and we do get in some great things--from Tiffany flatware to Ralph Lauren Home furniture. Well, recently, I purchased this Austrian set of china that has a beautiful hand painted Art Deco design. Pictured are just a few sample pieces, but I have almost everything to set a full service, from dinner plates down to the individual butter pads (last picture).

Very cool!
post #387 of 430
Here's the painting. It's large, 48"x 46.5"
post #388 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post

Very cool!

Thank you! Appreciate it.
post #389 of 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLantern View Post

Here's the painting. It's large, 48"x 46.5"

Unusual, who is the painter? Is this oil? Have you found it on Google Maps yet?biggrin.gif
post #390 of 430
Painter is Leland Standley, a local artist (WA and OR) the title is "One Way" and it's dated 1964. Oil on canvas.Standley is still alive and painting. He lives on an island near Seattle and paints exclusively landscapes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion