or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion - Page 8

post #106 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by seminole77 View Post


All the usual suspects, draw knife markings, joining techniques and the appraisal by the VP of Butterfields and Butterfields. He graciously made a house call appraising numerous items gratis, in hopes of consignments.

Did he mention that the top is married to that base? The top looks much older than the base itself , the base is so bright that it leads me to believe it is not from 18C.
post #107 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

Did he mention that the top is married to that base? The top looks much older than the base itself , the base is so bright that it leads me to believe it is not from 18C.
No marriage, arranged or by shotgun. The brightness was deliberate to show the curly maple. Patina and aging are consistent throughout.
post #108 of 321
I'm not suspect of it, but do you have pic of the surfaces up close.?
post #109 of 321
Anyone have any good leads on Kaare Klint Safari chairs? Been interested in acquiring a pair...
post #110 of 321
New or old?
post #111 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

New or old?

I can find them new for around 2250 each... so something at a better price than that would be great...
post #112 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by akatsuki View Post

I can find them new for around 2250 each... so something at a better price than that would be great...

Google Image search with 3 months filter:"Kaare Klint Safari chairs sale".
post #113 of 321
Server lag
post #114 of 321
Thread Starter 
post #115 of 321

I own this chair - found it in an elderly neighbors garage.  The paperwork that came with it says it was made in Pakistan. The year I do not know.

post #116 of 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictus75 View Post

I own this chair - found it in an elderly neighbors garage.  The paperwork that came with it says it was made in Pakistan. The year I do not know.

I am afraid you have just started a mid-century craze in Pakistan and that is my friend is nothing to toy with. People will be beheaded and sofas blown up.
Edited by Medwed - 3/13/13 at 6:16pm
post #117 of 321
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

I am afraid you have just started a mid-century craze in Pakistan and that is my friend is nothing to toy with. People will be beheaded and sofas blown up.

lol8[1].gif


Auction last night, picked up these:









The Wallace Nutting is mid-level, not of the highest end stuff, but its certainly well made and I find its size and thin legs are very attractive.
post #118 of 321
Nice legs indeed nod[1].gif
The chest of drawers looks old , nice patina or is it just the lighting? Both pieces are definitely draw attention.

From Wiki: Wallace Nutting Furniture and Wallace Nutting hand colored photos. Wallace Nutting is famous for
is hand colored photos and for his fine reproduction furniture made from 1918-1941. He was considered the fore-
most authority on antiques and amassed a huge collection of period antiques which he later sold to J.P. Morgan and
today is part of the Wadsworth Atheneum collection in Hartford, CT. A lack of good quality affordable antique
furniture spurred Wallace Nuttings passion to begin his furniture business. Wallace Nutting was the author of many
books, his Furniture Treasury book is considered the finest book ever published on early American antiques.
Today, signed Wallace Nutting pieces are very difficult to find and will often sell for more at auction than period pieces.
post #119 of 321
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medwed View Post

Nice legs indeed nod[1].gif
The chest of drawers looks old , nice patina or is it just the lighting? Both pieces are definitely draw attention.

From Wiki: Wallace Nutting Furniture and Wallace Nutting hand colored photos. Wallace Nutting is famous for
is hand colored photos and for his fine reproduction furniture made from 1918-1941. He was considered the fore-
most authority on antiques and amassed a huge collection of period antiques which he later sold to J.P. Morgan and
today is part of the Wadsworth Atheneum collection in Hartford, CT. A lack of good quality affordable antique
furniture spurred Wallace Nuttings passion to begin his furniture business. Wallace Nutting was the author of many
books, his Furniture Treasury book is considered the finest book ever published on early American antiques.
Today, signed Wallace Nutting pieces are very difficult to find and will often sell for more at auction than period pieces.

Yeah, his book on Windsor chairs is brilliant.

I think the chest is more the lighting than age. Its definitely reproduction, late '30's is my guess.
post #120 of 321
You have really nice carpets. I like that one under the single drawer stand. What are they and do you buy them locally?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion