As I can't see a new one of these threads for 2013, I figure I'll start it myself.
I find these annual threads a great way to both reflect on the past year and figure out what to prioritise over the next 12 months. Tell us what you learned from 2012, and what you're planning to buy in the new year!
From last year's thread I said:
Anyway, my main 2011 insight is that it's surprisingly possible - and rewarding - to stick to a one-in/one-out policy regarding new purchases. Obviously, it requires one to have a certain starting point of sufficient pre-existing variety, but from then on, it has the practical effects of saving space and money, and enabling better-chosen, better-fitting (on the body and as part of one's overall wardrobe) items to be rotated in. I didn't stick to this one-in/one-out policy completely, but enough that I feel it's made a positive difference and focused my purchases more on bespoke.
My 2012 plans are to stick to that policy, possibly for a few more shirts and probably an odd jacket or suit. I plan to sell a hardly-worn Spano grey pure silk DB at some stage when I feel the market is right, in order to create the room for those purchases.
My 2012 insights:
- one-in/one-out works and really limits purchase numbers as it forces you to think about whether you both want & need new items.
- however, it can limit purchases a bit too much; you can have too much austerity. Once in a while it's nice to indulge with a couple of extras. In this category, I got a couple of nice cashmere jumpers, some ties & trousers and spent more than I theoretically should have given the construction/quality on a navy cashmere overcoat that I liked.
- In terms of the specifics I mentioned in last year's thread, I ended up adding about 5 shirts, opted for 2 new jackets and did sell that Spano suit. Tibor eventually ended up with it, I believe! It suits him much better than me.
My 2013 plans:
- with some of the above items due to be finished over January, I pretty much have my winter wardrobe more or less where I want it (for now). I might add a pair of dainite-soled black shoes for really, really wet days though, as I'd like another option for then beyond wearing my older leather-soled ones.
- I need to think about replacing a couple of summer suits & jackets. I've put this off for a while, as I wanted to prioritise winter, but I think later this year I'll focus on that. I'll have to think a bit more about which ones to upgrade first though.
- I always end up buying a few more shirts & ties every year, and suspect 2013 will be no different in that regard.
What about you? What did you learn, what are you getting over 2013?
Happy New Year!