Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryFormal Tuxedo Shoestagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- brandKent Wangtagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicStyletagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicStyle Guidetagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicTuxedotagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicTuxedostagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicWeddingtagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicWedding Clothestagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicWedding Suitstagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
Related Forum Threads
- The Kent Wang Wedding Photo Contest Last post on 8/13/15 at 5:21am in Classic Menswear
- Wedding Attire Budget: Buy versus Rent Last post on 8/18/12 at 7:46pm in Classic Menswear
- My wedding... Last post on 4/11/15 at 9:16am in Classic Menswear
- Midnight Blue Tuxedo (for Toronto Wedding) Last post on 12/24/12 at 1:18pm in Classic Menswear
- Have to wear Men's Wearhouse Tux for a wedding.... Last post on 3/10/13 at 9:16pm in Classic Menswear
What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
Last edited: 4/26/16
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?Last edited: 3/18/16
- Should I wear a Tuxedo if my Groomsmen are wearing navy business...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where should the points on my shirt collar lie in relation to my...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Is a Burgundy Tuxedo wedding-appropriate?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread - Page 6post #76 of 23853/8/13 at 4:55pmThread Starterpost #77 of 23853/8/13 at 5:20pm
You don't even want to know. =\ Basically a charcoal 3-piece, with satin on the lapels and stripe running down the leg - I tried the whole "give parameters and let people wear their own version of stuff", but that didn't fly.post #78 of 23853/8/13 at 5:51pmThread Starterpost #79 of 23853/8/13 at 5:53pmThread Starterpost #80 of 23853/8/13 at 6:02pmpost #81 of 23853/8/13 at 6:09pmThread Starterpost #82 of 23853/8/13 at 7:23pmpost #83 of 23853/9/13 at 8:10ampost #84 of 23853/9/13 at 9:04am
So, yes, agreed... to give you a sense of what I am working with, and hopefully give an idea of how I am just trying to make the best of it, when I emailed the party last night saying to wear their best black dress shoes instead of the MW ones, two of the men responded (who I am guessing may not own a pair) saying that they would rather just use the store ones than put in any effort/cost into having a shined pair of their own. Myself and another member in the party are going to search, pay for, and shine a pair for each of them in order for them to not just use the store ones.
So, that being said, is there any place that rents non-patent dress shoes for men? I could always just find passable beaters on ebay I guess, but would rather just rent a pair if possible.
Also, any advice on the neck tie question above?post #85 of 23853/9/13 at 9:28amQuote:
A charcoal tuxedo is a sort of bastardization of traditional (and frankly, pretty much defunct) morning dress, and an evening suit. It's a silly looking thing, but it is what it is. Are you guys (the OP) doing rentals or are you buying. If you are buying, even the worst suit can be made much better with the help of a good tailor. Make sure that the shoulder fits well. Everything else can be salvaged. I went onto the MW site (I'm now officially beyond saving), and there are a lot of grey and charcoal options. Maybe if you could give us a link, painful though it might be. For ties, something that has more black might work better, or something that is lighter, perhaps with some cream, depending on how dark is the actual suit.
You're not working with the best cards, but you can get things to work.post #86 of 23853/9/13 at 10:14amThread StarterIf you can't work your way out of the charcoal tuxedo, can you get some black cummerbunds?
If so, consider this and ditch the long ties in favor of bow ties. Long ties with a tux are kind of terrible, but that presupposes a proper waist coat and evening shirt. I assume you won't have evening shirts, but just white dress shirts?post #87 of 23853/9/13 at 2:17pmpost #88 of 23853/11/13 at 10:58amThread StarterQuote:Originally Posted by mymil
These are the resources I've found most useful: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)http://putthison.com/post/334425916/weddingattireformen
Only one is linked to in the first post, but I think all of them should be included there.
Somehow I missed this post earlier - I will add to OP (although I think some of these are linked in the article I linked, but whatever, no harm in linking more times).post #89 of 23853/11/13 at 12:51pmpost #90 of 23853/16/13 at 9:30pm
Back in the fall, I posted a thread asking for some advice on attire for my upcoming wedding (October 2013). I think it's time to finally stop procrastinating and actually start getting something done.
My fiancée really likes morning dress, but I think it would be too formal for our wedding. And frankly, I don't really want to buy a morning coat that I will only ever wear once in my life. As a compromise, I really like the idea of wearing a stroller/Stresemann suit. I was thinking that I would get a black or very dark grey lounge suit. I would then get a MTM vest in dove grey and a pair of trousers made in a grey cashmere stripe-type pattern. I would then top it off with a classic houndstooth or shepherds check wedding tie. For shoes, I think I'd just wear my black captoes (Allen Edmonds Park Avenues). I'm thinking something along the lines of the following (ignore the ties):
The advantage of this is that the lounge suit could be used post-wedding, and I could always dig out the trousers and vest if I wanted to dress up a little for a daytime event.
I have a couple questions, and would love to hear some opinions:
1. Do you think it would be strange if I were to wear a stroller/Stresemann but my groomsmen were to wear black and grey lounge suits? I like the idea of standing out a little from my groomsmen, but I don't want them (or I) to look totally out of place.
2. The classic stroller/Stresemann jacket would typically have peaked lapels. However, do you think that peaked lapels would limit the usefulness of the suit post-wedding? I'd love to have peaked lapels for the wedding, but I'd also like to get some business/wedding/funeral use out of the lounge suit in the future. I'm thinking that peaked lapels may be a little much for a funeral or business environment, but maybe I'm overthinking things. Any thoughts?
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?
- › Aspesi Limone Raincoat - Size XS/S 48 seconds ago
- › What music are you listening to lately? 1 minute ago
- › Robert Geller Seconds Paneled Bomber - Size S 3 minutes ago
- › Ties From DRAKE'S, TOM FORD, E-MARINELLA 3 minutes ago
- › Opening Ceremony Wool/Corduroy Jacket - Size S 5 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 5 minutes ago
- › Stephan Schneider Cadet Jacket - Size S 7 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 13 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 14 minutes ago
- › THE EUROPEAN THRIFT BUY /SELL / TRADE / WANT THREAD 21 minutes ago
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding