Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryFormal Tuxedo Shoestagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- brandKent Wangtagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicStyletagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicStyle Guidetagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicTuxedotagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicTuxedostagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicWeddingtagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicWedding Clothestagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicWedding Suitstagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
Related Forum Threads
- The Kent Wang Wedding Photo Contest Last post on 8/13/15 at 5:21am in Classic Menswear
- Wedding Attire Budget: Buy versus Rent Last post on 8/18/12 at 7:46pm in Classic Menswear
- My wedding... Last post on 4/11/15 at 9:16am in Classic Menswear
- Midnight Blue Tuxedo (for Toronto Wedding) Last post on 12/24/12 at 1:18pm in Classic Menswear
- Have to wear Men's Wearhouse Tux for a wedding.... Last post on 3/10/13 at 9:16pm in Classic Menswear
What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
Last edited: 4/26/16
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?Last edited: 3/18/16
- Should I wear a Tuxedo if my Groomsmen are wearing navy business...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where should the points on my shirt collar lie in relation to my...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Is a Burgundy Tuxedo wedding-appropriate?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread - Page 43post #631 of 23937/13/13 at 6:59amThread StarterNote that I'm not suggesting a higher standard of dress necessarily. My alternative to rented formal wear is not necessarily bespoke formal wear - just the nicest stuff everybody has. The Sunday best, even though Sundays are now just for watching football. Adding touches like wedding ties, maybe a boutonnière, an odd waistcoat, a DB suit, can make it different than office wear in a nice way, but not required. But let yourself and your guests come as people, as individuals, rather than cake decorations.post #632 of 23937/13/13 at 7:13amAnd again...outside of your refined social you might be surprised/ disgusted at one might consider "Sunday Best." Better to stick your Cousin Fred in a rental Joseph Abboud tux than have him go to Sears and buy an ugly suit that he won't have tailored. It is easier and more diplomatic to put every guy in the same suit than to say, "Hey Cousin Fred...that suit is two sizes too big...and the pants have way too much break....and that tie is clearly polyester...and no, black sneakers are not OK with a suit..."
If the bride/ groom/ bride's mother holy trinity has already settled on matching formalwear then let's make sure that they get good quality stuff that will fit not look like shit 20 years later. As opposed to saying "oh no....you just CAN'T rent formalwear!!!!."post #633 of 23937/13/13 at 7:30amThread StarterI don't know why you think all my friends are so high class. In any case, if you're really worried about what someone might wear, then you can give them some gentle guidance. Guys that don't care enough to have a nice suit probably won't mind if you give them more direction. You can be clear that gents should wear dress shoes, and include pictures of what dress shoes look like if need be. Ties are common gifts from grooms to groomsmen.
Even if you have to buy yourself an outfit for one of the groomsmen, you could get it done reasonably for a few hundred bucks (things get much easier when you don't need them all to match). This is in comparison to forcing every one of them to spend $200, as well as a couple of hours picking up and dropping off the stuff. That's on top of having to wear something that looks worse than what you already own. In terms of convenience and expense to the party, rentals are obviously worse.
If the bride and MotB are fixated in formal wear, that's a separate issue. Then the groom just has to decide if he cares that much or not. But that's not really what we're discussing here.post #634 of 23937/13/13 at 7:59ampost #635 of 23937/13/13 at 8:03amThread Starterpost #636 of 23937/13/13 at 8:10amThread Starterpost #637 of 23937/13/13 at 8:36amQuote:
Right. Because wedding photos from before the formalwear rental industry became prominent all look like crap and photographers never take good pictures of groups of people who are not wearing the exact same thing...post #638 of 23937/13/13 at 8:41ampost #639 of 23937/13/13 at 8:47amThread Starterpost #640 of 23937/13/13 at 8:59ampost #641 of 23937/13/13 at 9:56ampost #642 of 23937/13/13 at 9:57amQuote:Originally Posted by random-adam
The above point, as I see it: rented clothing (and the idea of perfectly-matched groomsmen) reeks of playing dress-up.
If everybody instead shows up wearing suits that fit properly in dark colors with white shirts and appropriate ties, it looks like a gathering of grown-ass men.Quote:Originally Posted by unbelragazzo
To me, it's about whether you want the feel of it to be like a middle school Christmas pageant, with the players dolled up in fancy dress costumes, or whether you want it to look like two adults, making a very serious promise to each other in front of their supporting friends and family. The turn to matching costumes has come along with thinking of the wedding as a kind of performance or production, which has been encouraged by the wedding planning industry, rather than a ceremony and a celebration.
This. Exactly this.post #643 of 23937/14/13 at 9:02pmpost #644 of 23937/16/13 at 3:41am
Opinions. Help. Fashion.Well i have this wedding i will be attending.
But i need help with a outfit i have in mind.
So i need your help to let me know if its a yes or no.
Turquoise dress pants, white dress shirt, beige sport coat, and if possible a bow tie? So whats your opinion? Feel free to ask any questions to get a better answerpost #645 of 23937/16/13 at 7:36amCross posting from the regular forum for advice:
After lurking on here for years I decided to join and ask for advice.
With my summer wedding quickly approaching I need confirmation/feedback as to the shoes that I should wear.
To start with I had my shirt and suit made by maxwells clothiers. I picked a light gray suit because it is a summer wedding and it's a look I've liked and have wanted to try out for a while. I will be wearing a white shirt and tie is to be determined (has to have some purple in it to go with the color theme of the wedding - feel free to make suggestions).
For shoes I want something rich in color, I am pretty set on a rich brown. I feel it may be a bit daring, especially with a light suit and this is why I am here asking you for feedback.
I love classic Allen Edmonds, these two in particular are my favourite:
I like these even more, but at $475 a pair, it's a bit steep for me.
The suit. I wore some existing brown shoes, hard to tell from the iphone pics. This is to reference the suit colour/fit (any input is welcome).
I saw this a long time ago and it stuck in my head, kind of the look I am going for:
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 7 seconds ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 18 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 1 minute ago
- › Meermin Mallorca Shoes 2 minutes ago
- › Stupid political crap your friends post on facebook. 2 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 3 minutes ago
- › Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes. 3 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 5 minutes ago
- › Linjer Leather Goods -- official affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding