Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryFormal Tuxedo Shoestagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- brandKent Wangtagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicStyletagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicStyle Guidetagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicTuxedotagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicTuxedostagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicWeddingtagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicWedding Clothestagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicWedding Suitstagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
Related Forum Threads
- The Kent Wang Wedding Photo Contest Last post on 8/13/15 at 5:21am in Classic Menswear
- Wedding Attire Budget: Buy versus Rent Last post on 8/18/12 at 7:46pm in Classic Menswear
- My wedding... Last post on 4/11/15 at 9:16am in Classic Menswear
- Midnight Blue Tuxedo (for Toronto Wedding) Last post on 12/24/12 at 1:18pm in Classic Menswear
- Have to wear Men's Wearhouse Tux for a wedding.... Last post on 3/10/13 at 9:16pm in Classic Menswear
What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
Last edited: 4/26/16
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?Last edited: 3/18/16
- Should I wear a Tuxedo if my Groomsmen are wearing navy business...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where should the points on my shirt collar lie in relation to my...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Is a Burgundy Tuxedo wedding-appropriate?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread - Page 21post #301 of 25465/25/13 at 1:04pmpost #302 of 25465/25/13 at 1:14pmQuote:Originally Posted by mikeharo
Yes, I found that site via this thread and spent some time there earlier today. My question was pretty general, apologies for that. Where have other forum members had success with their tuxedos? Are there any places I should avoid (other than the obvious)? Has anyone else done a 3 piece tux and have advice?
+1, though if you're from the US, then it makes sense to look at Brooks Brothers, Paul Stuart, and Ben Silver? You can probably opt not to have the waistcoat if you wear a DB. I seem to recall Brooks Brothers having a MTM program if you don't want to bespeak a tuxedo.post #303 of 25465/25/13 at 2:13pmwww.blacktieguide.com
Read it, learn it, love it.
A three piece tuxedo is fine, but please dear God make sure it's a real tuxedo vest and not one of those horrendous 70s-prom looking suit vests.
Edit: Whoops, I missed where it jumped to the next page and this was already addressed. OP, the suggestions to looks at Brooks, Paul Stuart, and Ben Silver are good. Polo is nice stuff too, if a bit overpriced. Just make sure to get a classic tuxedo--something you can wear over and over again.post #304 of 25465/25/13 at 2:23pmpost #305 of 25465/26/13 at 12:00pm
I posted these questions separately, but got no response, so hopefully someone here can help me out.
Has anyone had any experience with the following:
- Ordering from Clermont Direct (www.clermontdirect.com)? I'm looking at getting a marcella/pique black tie shirt from them, turndown collar. Would like to know what the quality is like. It's GBP 25, which is around $35. Is the quality commensurate to the pricing, or is it a bit better? I will only wear it a couple of times/year, and, at this price don't mind replacing it after a year or two. But it does need to look fantastic the first time I wear it.
My father may also order a waistcoat from them, and I may buy a satin bow tie.
- Ordering from MyTuxedo.co.uk - I'm looking at a waistcoat from them - GBP 80 (about $100). Same questions as above.
- Jack Lipson MTM shirts. I can get one for $125, cotton is 120 or 140 depending on the pattern I choose. Is this a good price? Are the shirts well made, and durable?
Thanks in advance!post #306 of 25465/26/13 at 11:17pmI have ordered several items from Clermont Direct, and I'm very happy with all of them. The service is excellent. The one thing I will say however is that after washing the shirt I bought from them, it shrunk and now the sleeves are too short. I suppose I should ask them if that's normal for their shirts.
The bow ties, cummerbund, braces and shirt studs I've received are all very nice. No complaints there at all.post #307 of 25465/27/13 at 12:35am
Hello style gurus! n00b here...
I live in London and am getting married in mid September, out in the English countryside.
I don't want a morning suit or tuxedo - I'm looking for a suit that can still be useful after the wedding.
I've found one I like at Richard James on Savile Row, costing around £1000 (RTW with alterations), which is slightly more than I was hoping to spend but I can probably manage it. It's the last of this particular suit they have, and I have it on hold until tomorrow.
Thing is, in a week or so we're off to southern Italy (Amalfi coast and Salento peninsula), so I starting thinking we could potentially go into Naples and have a look there. I don't speak Italian but my fiancee does. We'd probably only make one trip into Naples, so won't have time for fittings for a bespoke suit (even if I could afford it).
Any advice? I've found lots of bespoke houses in Naples, but not much information about buying non-bespoke and how much I should expect to pay.
I'd probably have to get some alterations done just before the wedding in England, so I would need to account for that.post #308 of 25465/27/13 at 2:06ampost #309 of 25465/27/13 at 3:04ampost #310 of 25465/27/13 at 11:17am
Thanks - been into town again today to look at other options, but nothing is coming close to the Richard James suit at the moment.
Tomorrow I'll need to make a decision to go for the James suit or leave it to chance as to whether or not they still have it when I get back from Italy... so is the general view that Naples isn't going to be worthwhile?post #311 of 25465/31/13 at 12:15pm
I was directed to this thread after making the following post:
I was actually researching suits for my wedding and stumbled upon Styleforum, after reading some reviews of the J. Crew Ludlow suit I was looking at (which were not good) I thought I'd register for an account and try to get some expert advice. So clearly we're not going the traditional Tuxedo route here. What my fiance and I are thinking for myself and the groomsmen is a light gray suit. For me I'm looking for the full ensemble: jacket, pants, and vest. For the groomsmen I'm going to try to select a vest/shirt/pants combo that will come in at a price close to the cost of renting a tux.
I'm mostly looking for help with the suit. I'm 6'2" and weight ~ 180 lbs, so fairly trim. I usually find that slim or trim fit clothing fits me best. I think my walnut Allen Edmonds Strand Oxfords would go well with the light gray:
Now for the important part, I'm looking to spend around or less than $1,000. I've been considering waiting for the Nordstrom Men's Sale and snagging a Hugo Boss suit or perhaps a Zegna if I can find one for that price on sale.
Any thoughts or recommendations on what to look for or where to buy?
Thanks!post #312 of 25465/31/13 at 1:36pm
I'm looking for dark brown shoes to pair with my light blue navy suit for my wedding. I have fallen in love with these shoes but need something similar with an affordable price point. As you can see, the shoes have a cloudy look to them and that's what I like about them. I've looked and looked through zappos shoes and can't find anything similar. Can someone help?
Thanks!post #313 of 25465/31/13 at 1:55pmpost #314 of 25466/1/13 at 1:41ampost #315 of 25466/1/13 at 6:37am
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 16 seconds ago
- › BUTTON SETS! SHIRT STUDS! Holland & Sherry, Benson & Clegg, Gold... 1 minute ago
- › Yellow Hook Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 6 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 10 minutes ago
- › SPECTACULAR $5300 STEFANO RICCI 3/4 LENGTH LEATHER COAT-MINT-EU... 12 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 14 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 17 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 22 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...