or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread - Page 154

post #2296 of 2500

Hi everyone. Read this whole thread from start to finish in an effort to look... better than normal.

 

Wedding on 20th of this month. 10 tea ceremony (Chinese clothes), 2pm ceremony, 8pm dinner. I had a suit tailored (I'm lucky to live in Hong Kong) and now looking to complete the outfit.

Suit: Blue three piece (similar hue to Zeero's but with a matching waistcoat).
Shoes: Loakes black captoe oxfords.

Boutonniere: White Calla Lily, maybe lily of the valley.

Shirt: tbd, white, double cuff.

Tie: tbd

Pocket square: ?

1. So I had a shirt tailored with my suit and it's great but I impulsively chose a 'special' textured white fabric. It looks nice to me BUT it has an appearance that may seem like a Marcella shirt, which I hear may make it more suited to evening wear. I could save it for the evening and have a new shirt made. The cost is surprisingly cheap and it should be ready in time. What shirt fabric would you recommend?

 

2. I am finding it hard to find a reasonable priced tie in this city so will probably have to buy one online (and fast!). I found some I like:
Plaid 1 - Shop link - Beautiful colours, but made of cotton. Is that unsuitable?

Classic navy plaid - Shop link - Silk

Shepherd's check - Sam Hober - b/w

Houndstooth - Kent Wang - b/w

 

Thanks for any advice you can give.


Edited by Ponce - 3/1/16 at 8:07am
post #2297 of 2500

Surprised you cant find a decent wedding tie in HK. I fully recommend the Sam Hober tie but you might not have enough time for that. A Kent Wang tie in either houndstooth, shepards check or glen plaid are all solid options for your wedding suit. KW normally ships items out same day or next day but if you're shipping international I wouldn't wait long whatever you do. For the pocket square on your wedding day I would keep it simple - solid white linen would be a good choice.  

post #2298 of 2500
I would not wear the cotton tie with a worsted wool navy suit. I would lean towards one of the black/white ties with a navy suit. Personally, I'm fine with the shirt, though I'm sure some will disagree.

Pocket square = white linen, or none.
post #2299 of 2500
Im also getting married in May
wanted to hire something from Jack Bunney

I wanna go for the morning suit while my best man and his mate will go for normal tuxedo

not sure how this will look


Any inputs will be greatly appreciated

Here are their price not sure if they are reasonable or way too expensive

here's their price list

http://www.jackbunneys.co.uk/wedding-hire/price-list.html

Any alternatives?
post #2300 of 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesdavisjr View Post

Im also getting married in May
wanted to hire something from Jack Bunney

I wanna go for the morning suit while my best man and his mate will go for normal tuxedo

not sure how this will look


Any inputs will be greatly appreciated

Here are their price not sure if they are reasonable or way too expensive

here's their price list

http://www.jackbunneys.co.uk/wedding-hire/price-list.html

Any alternatives?

It will not look good! You are getting married in the UK right? Then black tie have no place at tradional ceremonies, however do tell us a bit more about the type of ceremony you are planning.

I would recommend Morning suit for you and dark business suits for them, Oxford or charcoal grey if at all possible. If they have Oxford grey (almost black) or black jackets already, you may want to rent morning trousers (cashmere stripes) and waistcoat only for them to create what the Italians call mezzo tight, a version of the stressman or Black lounge.
post #2301 of 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodalondra View Post

It will not look good! You are getting married in the UK right? Then black tie have no place at tradional ceremonies, however do tell us a bit more about the type of ceremony you are planning.

I would recommend Morning suit for you and dark business suits for them, Oxford or charcoal grey if at all possible. If they have Oxford grey (almost black) or black jackets already, you may want to rent morning trousers (cashmere stripes) and waistcoat only for them to create what the Italians call mezzo tight, a version of the stressman or Black lounge.

Thanks for the inputs

The wedding will NOT take place in the UK

It will take place in Tanzania (East Africa) where the weather will be hot and humid (tropical)

We are having two ceremonies. First day we will be having traditional and on the second day we will be having reception where I intend to wear morning suit. My bestman and his mate have flatly refused to wear Morning suit and thats why I thought, I will go for morning suit and they can go for a black tie (tux) like Clooney below




Personally I wanna go all the way in like a proper English Gentleman

In terms of colours I will go with grey as its very hot over there

Should I wear tie or ?





Any advise or inputs will be greatly appreciated
Edited by milesdavisjr - 3/9/16 at 8:51am
post #2302 of 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesdavisjr View Post

I'm based in the UK but will be getting married in Tanzania (East Africa) where the weather will be quite hot and humid
I am familiar with Tanzania, go there quite often actually. Would it be a church wedding, or just a civil ceremony? Are you originally from there or marrying a local? Their weddings are quite colourful. I admire your intention of wearing a morning suit, but having been there many times, I cannot see you wearing a wool coat and trousers for any lenght of time.
I had a sahariana shirts made made up in Irish linen for my last trip there two years ago, and at times, even with that it was too hot.

Edited to reply to your edited message:
The morning suit should be used only at the ceremony and a morning reception straight after.

You will look really odd wearing morning formal attire and evening semi formal attire at the same event, having planned to do so, at least from an English gentleman point of view. However, as the first picture you posted in your edited post is actually an evening tailcoat / white tie outfit, this would be suitable to mix with tic better.

Look, I have seen pictures of many weddings in that part of the world and no one will not the proper rules, but this is a classic menswear forum and I feel strongly that you should not mess it up that bad.
Edited by marcodalondra - 3/9/16 at 4:15pm
post #2303 of 2500

I have a problem with choosing a fabric for my wedding suit (already ordered MTM suit). After the wedding, the suit will be my base suit for all formal occasions. I decided it should be navy/blue (I look best in blue clothes). I am not sure about the fabric though. I've heard that twill weave is the most formal for the suits. What do you think about Dugdales New FIne Worsted fabrics? I have read many good things about them (mostly about that they are breathing more than let's say twill leave super120s wool). It is tempting, because it is something extra compared to the most RTW suits which are usually made from super 100s-140s. Aren't Dugdales NFW too informal though? Their finish is totally mat and harsh compared to twill super cloths which have smooth touch and discreete gloss.

The wedding is in May, I suppose the temperaures to be between 10-25 Celciuses, but wedding party is going to be all night dancing, so I need something both formal and comfortable (breathable). Plus, as I mentioned, it's going to be my only suit for a while.

post #2304 of 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodalondra View Post

I am familiar with Tanzania, go there quite often actually. Would it be a church wedding, or just a civil ceremony? Are you originally from there or marrying a local? Their weddings are quite colourful. I admire your intention of wearing a morning suit, but having been there many times, I cannot see you wearing a wool coat and trousers for any lenght of time.
I had a sahariana shirts made made up in Irish linen for my last trip there two years ago, and at times, even with that it was too hot.

Edited to reply to your edited message:
The morning suit should be used only at the ceremony and a morning reception straight after.

You will look really odd wearing morning formal attire and evening semi formal attire at the same event, having planned to do so, at least from an English gentleman point of view. However, as the first picture you posted in your edited post is actually an evening tailcoat / white tie outfit, this would be suitable to mix with tic better.

Look, I have seen pictures of many weddings in that part of the world and no one will not the proper rules, but this is a classic menswear forum and I feel strongly that you should not mess it up that bad.

Thanks for your insightful inputs

I'm black Brit and marrying a girl whose parents are originally from there.

I would like to make a proper statement with attire.

I've checked with Jack Bunneys and looks like they're fully booked for the whole year ( both buying and hiring) so my next option will be Moss Bross or any other suit hire retailers

The bottom line I would like to look as English as I can be.

Day 1 we will have first ceremony will be traditional/religious so I intend to put on Omani traditional attire like this below:




Day 2 we will have reception (This will take place in the evening) and I'd like to wear English Morning Suit (more likely with white bowtie) as per the pics below:




Dilema:

two of my mates who will get into the reception with me are not keen on wearing anything English so I dont mind them wearing normal semi formal tuxedos

The bottom like the wedding itself will be religious/traditional

I'm more concerend on reception where I intend to put on a proper show

Other than Moss Bross which other wedding suit hire shop should I check out?
post #2305 of 2500
The photo you have shown is white tie not morning dress. The picture showing the princes is morning dress.

I have only ever hired white tie from Moss Bros and they were fine. Googleing you seem to be able to buy ex-hire white tie and if the suit fits it may cost a similar amount to a long term hire.
post #2306 of 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesdavisjr View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Thanks for your insightful inputs

I'm black Brit and marrying a girl whose parents are originally from there.

I would like to make a proper statement with attire.

I've checked with Jack Bunneys and looks like they're fully booked for the whole year ( both buying and hiring) so my next option will be Moss Bross or any other suit hire retailers

The bottom line I would like to look as English as I can be.

Day 1 we will have first ceremony will be traditional/religious so I intend to put on Omani traditional attire like this below:




Day 2 we will have reception (This will take place in the evening) and I'd like to wear English Morning Suit (more likely with white bowtie) as per the pics below:




Dilema:

two of my mates who will get into the reception with me are not keen on wearing anything English so I dont mind them wearing normal semi formal tuxedos

The bottom like the wedding itself will be religious/traditional

I'm more concerend on reception where I intend to put on a proper show

Other than Moss Bross which other wedding suit hire shop should I check out?


I understand the ceremony attire, and you are making the right choice. I guess it will be an all male event and a separate all woman event, with you picking up the bride at some point.

However, on the reception attire, sorry but you are confused:

The white bow tie attire in your picture is called "White Tie" dress code, and it is the most formal classic menswear attire in current use, and it is not Morning Dress..

It is mostly an evening dress-codes, but it is also used, rarely, in other occasions e.g. (with a black waistcoat) to private audience with the Pope and (white waistcoat) in weddings ceremony and receptions, currently common in Scandinavian countries, but in the past, also in other European countries.

As in my last post, I believe this will be a better choice for you to pair with your groomsmen in tuxedo.

To clarify the two concept in your mind, please note the different cut/design details:

Morning tailcoat (worn at Royal Ascot and formal morning weddings in the UK): Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Evening Tailcoat or White Tie Dress code: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

Edited by marcodalondra - 3/10/16 at 6:50am
post #2307 of 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodalondra View Post

I understand the ceremony attire, and you are making the right choice. I guess it will be an all male event and a separate all woman event, with you picking up the bride at some point.

However, on the reception attire, sorry but you are confused:

The white bow tie attire in your picture is called "White Tie" dress code, and it is the most formal classic menswear attire in current use, and it is not Morning Dress..

It is mostly an evening dress-codes, but it is also used, rarely, in other occasions e.g. (with a black waistcoat) to private audience with the Pope and (white waistcoat) in weddings ceremony and receptions, currently common in Scandinavian countries, but in the past, also in other European countries.

As in my last post, I believe this will be a better choice for you to pair with your groomsmen in tuxedo.

To clarify the two concept in your mind, please note the different cut/design details:

Morning tailcoat (worn at Royal Ascot and formal morning weddings in the UK):


Evening Tailcoat or White Tie Dress code:
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

I have to admit I'm confused between the two designs?

so what would you recommend for me and what should my two grooms men go for?
post #2308 of 2500

what's up everyone! 

 

wedding season is coming up, anyone have any weddings/ceremonies coming up? 

post #2309 of 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesdavisjr View Post

I have to admit I'm confused between the two designs?

so what would you recommend for me and what should my two grooms men go for?
With your intention of going full blow in terms of formal attire, and considering the evening reception and the fact that your groomsmen want to wear dinner suits/Tuxedo, I would think the best option for you is to go with the White Tie ensemble/Evening Tailcoat.

Word of caution is that most modern evening tailcoat, trousers and white marcella waistcoat are not cut properly. Ideally the trousers should be very high waisted, the tailcoat should have the front cut out just a touch below the natural waistline and the white marcella waistcoat should not be pocking under the front of the tailcoat.

As you mentioned Moss Bross, this is what you should be renting:
http://www.mossbroshire.co.uk/occasion/black-tie/regent-2221 (which in the picture shown actually seem not to have the common issue with visible waistcoat: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Whilst the below is the wrong look, you should avoid (lots wrong in the picture, including the tie, but I am pointing out the waistcoat being lower that the front of the coat): Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #2310 of 2500

I have been invited to a wedding and the navy suit i had planned on wearing will not be ready in time. That only leaves me with a black suit in my wardrobe (a fairly modern Hugo Boss one. I will try and attach a picture below).

 

So, I know that a black suit is not great, however if i do go with it, could you please recommend a shirt and tie combination that might work. 

 

all advice would be greatly appreciated

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread