Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryFormal Tuxedo Shoestagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- brandKent Wangtagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicStyletagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicStyle Guidetagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicTuxedotagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicTuxedostagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicWeddingtagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicWedding Clothestagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
- topicWedding Suitstagged by Synthese, 2/22/16
Related Forum Threads
- The Kent Wang Wedding Photo Contest Last post on 8/13/15 at 5:21am in Classic Menswear
- Wedding Attire Budget: Buy versus Rent Last post on 8/18/12 at 7:46pm in Classic Menswear
- My wedding... Last post on 4/11/15 at 9:16am in Classic Menswear
- Midnight Blue Tuxedo (for Toronto Wedding) Last post on 12/24/12 at 1:18pm in Classic Menswear
- Have to wear Men's Wearhouse Tux for a wedding.... Last post on 3/10/13 at 9:16pm in Classic Menswear
What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
Last edited: 4/26/16
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?Last edited: 3/18/16
- Should I wear a Tuxedo if my Groomsmen are wearing navy business...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Where should the points on my shirt collar lie in relation to my...Last edited: 3/24/16
- Is a Burgundy Tuxedo wedding-appropriate?Last edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread - Page 145post #2162 of 245811/6/15 at 11:16pmpost #2163 of 245811/7/15 at 9:53ampost #2164 of 245811/15/15 at 10:38pm
I just proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes so I started thinking about what to wear on the day of the wedding.
The wedding is going to be in the Winter so I was thinking about this combination:
-Navy midnight velvet blazer with black peak lapels, one button;
-Light grey flannel trousers with side adjusters and cuffs (I'm quite undecided on the cuffs. Classically
they would be without but what do you think?);
-White marcella shirt with stud buttons;
-Black bowtie (velvet or not?);
-Black patent leather oxford (I love oxfords, I loathe derbys).
Now I do realise that the flannel trousers are somewhat untypical and I was wondering
whether you would suggest something more traditional like classic black smoking trousers
with silk piping and suspenders buttons.
Thanks for your input. ;)
Markpost #2165 of 245811/16/15 at 10:14amCongratulations. Marriage is a wonderful thing.
It seems to me you are mixing two dress lineages. 1: The black tie/smoking jacket one which comes from an era where men dressed for dinner, on the highly informal end of that spectrum (a velvet jacket would have only been worn in one's own home, if no guests were present). 2: the blazer and flannels rig, which stems from a navel background and was subsequently adopted of daytime sports. Either can work at a wedding in my view, but like custard and cheese, best enjoyed in separation.post #2166 of 245811/16/15 at 11:26amCongratulations on the upcoming wedding. If you go with the velvet smoking jacket, I'd do it as a casual black tie ensemble with traditional black evening formal trousers and the marcella shirt. Otherwise, I'd wear a navy or charcoal suit, white shirt and tie with black oxfords. If you want to do a blazer and grey flannels look (a bit casual for a wedding), I'd get a nice traditional navy blazer and wear a plain white dress shirt. Keep the marcella shirt for black tie.post #2167 of 245811/16/15 at 2:20pmpost #2168 of 245811/21/15 at 2:08pmpost #2169 of 245812/10/15 at 9:53amSo I have procrastinated in ordering a tux for my upcoming wedding such that I can no longer use Kent Wang due to time restrictions. Now I have been looking at Suit Supply and didn't realize that there are essentially only two tux options:
- A midnight blue shawl option but I'm concerned that the blue is not dark enough and looks trendy (and thus dated in 10 years); or
- A black peak option, albeit with rounded lapels, which look strange to me
Does anyone have any input or reasonable suggestions of other retailers I could look at under $1,000.
For what it's worth, I was planning on getting a Kent Wang shawl collar in a very dark midnight blue.
Thanks in advance.post #2170 of 245812/10/15 at 10:47amBrooks Brothers Fitzgerald shawl or Regent peak. If you buy on Dec. 25th or 26th, it should be 30% + an extra 15%, so ~$714.
It's going to depend a lot on the fit. SuSu did not work for me. BB Fitz did.
I haven't seen the SuSu blue tux in person, but if it's not a true midnight, I would not buy it if it will be your only tux. It will make you stand out in situations you may not want to (e.g. other people's weddings).post #2171 of 245812/10/15 at 2:25pmpost #2172 of 245812/11/15 at 1:49pmQuote:Originally Posted by Van Veen
Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald shawl or Regent peak. If you buy on Dec. 25th or 26th, it should be 30% + an extra 15%, so ~$714.
It's going to depend a lot on the fit. SuSu did not work for me. BB Fitz did.
I haven't seen the SuSu blue tux in person, but if it's not a true midnight, I would not buy it if it will be your only tux. It will make you stand out in situations you may not want to (e.g. other people's weddings).
If it matters to you, I vote BB Fitzgerald, I was in the store not long ago and they are very nice.post #2173 of 245812/14/15 at 7:10am
Found the perfect suit for my wedding from Bonobos (https://bonobos.com/products/tuxedo-blazer?color=ivory%20flannel&blazer-fit=slim)
One problem though. My wedding is in August and that blazer is wool...Can anyone recommend something similar in a lighter fabric?
Thanks in advance!post #2174 of 245812/14/15 at 7:29ampost #2175 of 245812/14/15 at 5:48pm
- Do pleated shirts work with three piece tuxedos?
- › Crusty's "What I wore on this Date in History" - a walk down memory... 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 11 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 15 minutes ago
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 22 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 25 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 28 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 31 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 33 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 33 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...