or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread - Page 142

post #2116 of 2504
Don't potential grooms check with potential groomsmen BEFORE extending the formal invite?

-Hey bro...do you have a good blue suit? Shoes? No. Ok. You will have a blast at my wedding.
-Hey bro...do you have a good blue suit? Shoes? Yes. Ok. I would like you to be one of my groomsmen.
post #2117 of 2504
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

Don't potential grooms check with potential groomsmen BEFORE extending the formal invite?

-Hey bro...do you have a good blue suit? Shoes? No. Ok. You will have a blast at my wedding.
-Hey bro...do you have a good blue suit? Shoes? Yes. Ok. I would like you to be one of my groomsmen.
The contents and quality of my friends' wardrobes weren't remotely under consideration when it came to whether or not I wanted them standing up with me at my wedding.
post #2118 of 2504
^
I get that.
But it is now for that poster.
post #2119 of 2504
Quote:
Originally Posted by random-adam View Post

The contents and quality of my friends' wardrobes weren't remotely under consideration when it came to whether or not I wanted them standing up with me at my wedding.
Me neither - though I kind of assumed they had appropriate suits. The youngest one (my brother) just graduated college and my parents assured me he had a suit because they bought him one for job interviews last year. But it has really obvious pinstripes so doesn't really work, and already it doesn't fit him that well any more either.

I realize we should have factored this in when doing a budget, but it's probably too late now. At least we have options that we wouldn't have with a more formal wedding.
post #2120 of 2504

 

 

Thoughts on this tuxedo for a groomsman? It's Brooks Brothers from the Gatsby collection, I've been eyeing it for sometime and was about to buy it the other day but now I'm not so sure. To me it looks like something only meant to be worn only in the evening and I plan to have my wedding in the afternoon into the evening.

post #2121 of 2504
Quote:
Originally Posted by white collar View Post

Thoughts on this tuxedo for a groomsman? It's Brooks Brothers from the Gatsby collection, I've been eyeing it for sometime and was about to buy it the other day but now I'm not so sure. To me it looks like something only meant to be worn only in the evening and I plan to have my wedding in the afternoon into the evening.

The rule is that you only wear a dinner jacket / tuxedo after 6:00PM. It's not appropriate for daytime. What you choose to do with said rule is up to you. That having been said, if you have a 5:00 wedding you are probably okay (yes, you are bending the rule a bit, but the overwhelming majority of the wedding + reception is after 6:00 and you are not wearing it much beforehand). If the wedding is at 2:00, I'd say it's a no go. 4:30 is as early as I'd ever think about going with a dinner jacket personally.
post #2122 of 2504
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post


The rule is that you only wear a dinner jacket / tuxedo after 6:00PM. It's not appropriate for daytime. What you choose to do with said rule is up to you. That having been said, if you have a 5:00 wedding you are probably okay (yes, you are bending the rule a bit, but the overwhelming majority of the wedding + reception is after 6:00 and you are not wearing it much beforehand). If the wedding is at 2:00, I'd say it's a no go. 4:30 is as early as I'd ever think about going with a dinner jacket personally.


Many thanks, somehow I've never been told about that rule although it makes perfect sense now.

post #2123 of 2504
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

Don't potential grooms check with potential groomsmen BEFORE extending the formal invite?

-Hey bro...do you have a good blue suit? Shoes? No. Ok. You will have a blast at my wedding.
-Hey bro...do you have a good blue suit? Shoes? Yes. Ok. I would like you to be one of my groomsmen.

No, that's not how it works at all.
post #2124 of 2504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post

No, that's not how it works at all.

I know that's not how it works. It was said in jest.
I have been in weddings before.
post #2125 of 2504
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

I know that's not how it works. It was said in jest.
We're too serious for that stuff around here.

Back to preaching the gospel of peak-lapel tuxedos, pushing textbook-correct wedding ties, and lamenting the laughable opinions of brides!
post #2126 of 2504
Quote:
Originally Posted by random-adam View Post

Back to preaching the gospel of peak-lapel tuxedos, pushing textbook-correct wedding ties, and lamenting the laughable opinions of brides!

Darn right (except I will defend the shawl lapel).
post #2127 of 2504
Ok, I have a wedding to attend and the situation is somewhat problematic.

1) Mix of European and North Americans w. different perceptions of formality
2) Will attend the ceremony + meal/reception so afternoon + evening
3) Lots of "creatives" involved so no dress code, however I've been told the groom will wear a bowtie which I take to mean he'll wear a tuxedo during the day (arrhghghghghgh) or maybe I misunderstood. Only people I can contact who will care answer me on super short notice will get her hair done and all that shit but wear some sort of formal silk custom asian bobo dress (luxe yoga types will be attending).

Solution I am currently going for:

-Charcoal suit with grosgrain lining (Thom Browne but not adjusted short or anything). Wool is heavy enough for the cooling season.
-Matching wool tie by TB (very much doubting this but hey, not sure many people under 50 will wear a wedding tie + the suit requires a slim tie and I mainly have knits)
-White dress shirt with pleated front hidden placket but regular collar and black button studs at cuffs (some 60s weird dandy thing that seems oddly appropriate in this situation).
-Black captoes (JLP)

Should I say fuck it and wear a navy suit + spread collar-fc shirt + wedding tie + captoes? It sorta seems unsuited (haha) to the occasion/crowd.
post #2128 of 2504
I'd say f**k it and wear the suit that tells who you are and not try and fit in with the creatives. If that is the blue one so be it. Are captoes necessary - if you would be uncomfortable in something less formal stick with them. Do you need a wedding tie perhaps not.

I assume at sometime in the evening you will have your jacket and tie off and be on the dance-floor so do not be too formal.
post #2129 of 2504
What's up, internets? I'm busy, I'm lazy, I absolutely hate to read -- I also have a wedding to attend!

Daytime? Nighttime? Formal? Casual? Who knows. It's a wedding -- that is what I know.

My suits -- the ultimate in streetwear -- are out of the question. I do have a navy dobby cotton Andover jacket I could wear with some type of navy trousers, and basically, would like to know if this would fly. (The whole suit is a bit much for your despised 'regular' folks.) The pants should look different enough that it's obvious I'm not trying to fake a suit, if that makes sense.

Yes? No? (I'm looking for anything other than a strong no). Barring that, any tips or a link to a discussion of unfamiliar background guests would be appreciated. After a bit of searching, most of the discussion seems to revolve around groomsmen and the shaming of groomsmen.

Thx bros icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #2130 of 2504
Quote:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Originally Posted by noob in 89 View Post

What's up, internets? I'm busy, I'm lazy, I absolutely hate to read -- I also have a wedding to attend!

Daytime? Nighttime? Formal? Casual? Who knows. It's a wedding -- that is what I know.

My suits -- the ultimate in streetwear -- are out of the question. I do have a navy dobby cotton Andover jacket I could wear with some type of navy trousers, and basically, would like to know if this would fly. (The whole suit is a bit much for your despised 'regular' folks.) The pants should look different enough that it's obvious I'm not trying to fake a suit, if that makes sense.

Yes? No? (I'm looking for anything other than a strong no). Barring that, any tips or a link to a discussion of unfamiliar background guests would be appreciated. After a bit of searching, most of the discussion seems to revolve around groomsmen and the shaming of groomsmen.

Thx bros icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

 


Pics would help (me at least) 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread