or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread - Page 12

post #166 of 1593
If your friend is THAT destitute that he won't buy a pair of black shoes then get him a pair from Payless!

I would go with long ties instead of bow ties...this way the grey tuxes can look like a Morning Suit hybrid. It's the best you can do with what you are working with.
post #167 of 1593
Thread Starter 
You can't rent ties. If you want to spend little, try tie bar. Shoes - buy crappy ones new or try to buy something used. I'd go long ties. Just pretend the satin stripe doesn't exist. In that same spirit, wear regular white dress shirts, not tuxedo shirts.
post #168 of 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

You can't rent ties. If you want to spend little, try tie bar. Shoes - buy crappy ones new or try to buy something used. I'd go long ties. Just pretend the satin stripe doesn't exist. In that same spirit, wear regular white dress shirts, not tuxedo shirts.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

If your friend is THAT destitute that he won't buy a pair of black shoes then get him a pair from Payless!

I would go with long ties instead of bow ties...this way the grey tuxes can look like a Morning Suit hybrid. It's the best you can do with what you are working with.

 

Perfect, so my final questions would be since we are treating these like suits, does this open up the color range for the ties, or should I still stick with the traditional wedding tie look? Just worried that the typical gray on white shirt on charcoal suit might look a little bland. 

post #169 of 1593
Thread Starter 
Stick with wedding ties.
post #170 of 1593
For what it's worth: the traditional practice was for the Groom to purchase the ties for his groomsmen as a gift.

+1 on sticking with common wedding ties, even that will give you a good bit of wiggle room:

post #171 of 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Either 3-pc or odd vest are great. There's nothing too "businessy" about a 3-pc IMHO (they make 3-pces in tweed too ya know). What will everyone else wear? If it were me I'd love to wear a tux but I wouldn't want to be dressed too differently from everyone else.
This is potentially an issue. If the dress is black tie optional, we'll most likely have tops eight guys in tuxedos at the wedding, myself included, out of one hundred or so men attending. Do people feel that this is enough in itself not to go with a tux or that it doesn't matter much at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

I think I know the over-the-shoulder thing you are referring to. But I was thinking about having someone make a sash, maybe four inches wide for you to wear over the vest and under the coat, going diagonally from your right shoulder to your left hip.

I looked into this and, while it's a good idea, it's apparently a common tradition for the ladies. There won't be anyone traveling from Scotland for the wedding to bust me on it were I to do it but I think I'd prefer to observe the etiquette nonetheless. Thanks again for the original thought, though, MrDaniels.
post #172 of 1593
Thread Starter 
I think as long as the invite says bto you're fine. That should eliminate the blazer and khakis combinations, and those wo a tux will wear a dark suit and necktie.
post #173 of 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasoguava View Post

This is potentially an issue. If the dress is black tie optional, we'll most likely have tops eight guys in tuxedos at the wedding, myself included, out of one hundred or so men attending. Do people feel that this is enough in itself not to go with a tux or that it doesn't matter much at all?

As long as the dress code is black tie optional, you should get an elegant mix of tuxes and suits. Suits will be in the majority but there will be nothing wrong with wearing a tuxedo.
post #174 of 1593
Great, that clears that bit up, thank you. Still don't know which way to go but now it simply comes down to personal preference. Thanks to all who have been contributing, very much appreciated.
post #175 of 1593
I understand that this horse is taking quite a beating from me but I thought of one final concern. Can anyone speak to the notion of wearing a piece of clothing to an event (in this case, a new MTM dinner jacket) that is worn almost never by the individual? Unwise or most likely wouldn't matter? Meaning, if I wear a dinner jacket once every five years, do I run the risk of letting the jacket wear me as opposed to vice versa?

I'm no rube, I've just rarely had occasion to wear a dinner jacket given my profession and the company I keep (broke artists).

As always, any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
post #176 of 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasoguava View Post

I understand that this horse is taking quite a beating from me but I thought of one final concern. Can anyone speak to the notion of wearing a piece of clothing to an event (in this case, a new MTM dinner jacket) that is worn almost never by the individual? Unwise or most likely wouldn't matter? Meaning, if I wear a dinner jacket once every five years, do I run the risk of letting the jacket wear me as opposed to vice versa?

I'm no rube, I've just rarely had occasion to wear a dinner jacket given my profession and the company I keep (broke artists).

As always, any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

The jacket will look like it is wearing you if you look uncomfortable or insecure in it. If you like the way you look and are confident, you will look fine. Plenty of people have limited occasion to wear black tie and yet look great when they do so.
post #177 of 1593

I'm sorry in advance if someone finds my other post on this topic. I just realized that I should have asked the question here instead of starting a new thread.

 

I'm currently deciding on whether to get a notch or shawl lapel on my vest/waistcoat, and if it should be double breasted. It's for my outside afternoon wedding in upstate NY at a BnB/Garden. I believe that I'm set on at DB shawl option, but I've been told that it's hard to get these to fit or look great unless I find a good tailor to do it for me. I live in NYC and am wondering if there is someone here that does these well, or if there are any online options I may be able to find. I'd also be willing to purchase one used, and get it altered a bit. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

 

Thank you, and again I didn't mean to create a "double post" on this topic in case anyone has read the other.

post #178 of 1593
Thread Starter 
Wear it at home a few nights if it will make you feel more comfortable in it.
post #179 of 1593
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Wear it at home a few nights if it will make you feel more comfortable in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

The jacket will look like it is wearing you if you look uncomfortable or insecure in it. If you like the way you look and are confident, you will look fine. Plenty of people have limited occasion to wear black tie and yet look great when they do so.

Settled. Thanks to all for the help and especially to unbelragazzo and archibaldleach. The input's been invaluable.
Edited by pasoguava - 4/9/13 at 10:48pm
post #180 of 1593
So im getting hitched in the desert and need a lightweight casual linen or seersucker suit. Preferably a unstructured blazer. Im 6'4 so having some trouble finding sizes.

This ervell suit really caught my eye, but trousers are too short.

Can you guys steer me towards a midrange suit that fits the bill? Wedding is around the corner and im starting to freak out a little.




Is this jcrew ludlow in linen going to be a shit quality?

Edited by eglbc - 4/10/13 at 12:07pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread