Thank-you in advance. This thread has been immensely helpful.
I'm overthinking my wedding outfit much more than my fiancée has for her dress, and so I thought to come to seek some advice before I drown in indecision...
1. Is a dinner suit too formal next to a swing dress?
I'm getting married in Melbourne, Australia in September (i.e. spring). Venue is an 1860s Victorian mansion, with the ceremony at 4.30pm, and reception directly following. We have said 'semi-formal' on our invitations, which equates here as lounge suit, although I'm happy to be more formal than our guests.
My fiancée will be wearing a ivory-coloured lace swing dress (with petticoat):
I own a black satin shawl collar single button dinner suit and a white point collar marcella dress shirt with French cuffs and studs.
I would love to wear my dinner suit, but does this sound too formal? If too formal, can I assume that a charcoal shadow stripe suit and navy chalkstripe suit are too similar to business suits?
2. What waistcoat?
If dinner suit is not too formal, I am thinking of getting a waistcoat to go with it.
Would a 3-4 button midnight blue V-shaped waistcoat (no lapels) be too crazy?
Should I go with a more traditional 3-4 button black U-shaped vest (with satin lapels)?
Thanks for your help! Next step will be groomsmen attire...
Thanks for the super-quick and helpful responses!
It sounds like dinner suit is the way to go for me then. We will be having a couple of outdoor photos earlier in the afternoon, but I think I will just have to let our photographer do the best he can with black. Although dark navy suit with a buff waistcoat does sound sharp. Hmmm...
One other waistcoat question - must a black waistcoat have lapels? I just wonder whether lapels on the waistcoat will interfere with the look of shawl collar, such that no lapels would look cleaner?
So, if I am wearing a shawl collar dinner suit, the next question is what my two groomsmen wear.
Some options I am considering are:
1. Peak lapel black dinner suit (hired) with white pleated point collar shirt - I understand this will be more formal than what I'm wearing though
2. Shawl collar black dinner suit (hired) with white pleated point collar shirt (hired) - Maybe too similar to my outfit? I would like to be at least a little differentiated from the groomsmen.
3. Black notch collar suit with satin piping (hired) - the Black Tie Guide is against this, as it detracts from the whole black tie concept, but it's accessible
4. Mid grey lounge suit, and white point collar shirt (owned) - Dark grey would be better, but mid grey is what the boys already own.
Which would you advise selecting for groomsmen? Or is there an option I have overlooked?
Given the OP, I suppose I don't need to talk about what the bridesmaids are wearing...