or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread - Page 83

post #1231 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post


That may be true. All the more reason for our friend to get a silk shirt if he can (I realize the ones I linked are quite expensive, but perhaps you could hunt around eBay and hope to get lucky).

 

Drawbacks are that silk can wear quite hot, and is much less forgiving to perspiration.  Cotton breathes much more freely.

post #1232 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post

Starting to research the outfit I'll wear to my wedding this coming July. Tuxedo and shirt are already chosen, or pretty much. But I need your inputs on a couple of other things.

What time is the wedding?
post #1233 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veremund View Post


What time is the wedding?

 

That's the thing. Wedding is a 4h30 in the afternoon and the reception starts around 6h30 PM. I know I shouldn't be wearing the tux for the wedding (during day time) because it is against protocols, but hey.. 

post #1234 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post

That's the thing. Wedding is a 4h30 in the afternoon and the reception starts around 6h30 PM. I know I shouldn't be wearing the tux for the wedding (during day time) because it is against protocols, but hey.. 

Yea protocol dictates wearing morning dress into the evening, in this case,if there is no opportunity to change.
post #1235 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnBC View Post

That's the thing. Wedding is a 4h30 in the afternoon and the reception starts around 6h30 PM. I know I shouldn't be wearing the tux for the wedding (during day time) because it is against protocols, but hey.. 

I say that's bullshit. Don't look at the clock. It is either a daytime affair or an evening affair. I might look askance at a black tux for a 11am wedding followed by a lunch reception...but having the ceremony at 4:30 leading immediately into a dinner is clearly an evening event. Do not sweat it.


Unless of course if you are ImTheGroom and just want an excuse to show off yet another outfit...then by all means... nod[1].gif
post #1236 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post


I say that's bullshit. Don't look at the clock. It is either a daytime affair or an evening affair. I might look askance at a black tux for a 11am wedding followed by a lunch reception...but having the ceremony at 4:30 leading immediately into a dinner is clearly an evening event. Do not sweat it.


Unless of course if you are ImTheGroom and just want an excuse to show off yet another outfit...then by all means... nod[1].gif

 

You say that as though not everyone wants this...

post #1237 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

I say that's bullshit. Don't look at the clock. It is either a daytime affair or an evening affair. I might look askance at a black tux for a 11am wedding followed by a lunch reception...but having the ceremony at 4:30 leading immediately into a dinner is clearly an evening event. Do not sweat it.


Unless of course if you are ImTheGroom and just want an excuse to show off yet another outfit...then by all means... nod[1].gif

Completely agree...

...but maybe thats cause im doing the exact same thing in October.
post #1238 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousSabatour View Post


Completely agree...

...but maybe thats cause im doing the exact same thing in October.

 

Congratulations NefariousSabatour! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
 
I say that's bullshit. Don't look at the clock. It is either a daytime affair or an evening affair. I might look askance at a black tux for a 11am wedding followed by a lunch reception...but having the ceremony at 4:30 leading immediately into a dinner is clearly an evening event. Do not sweat it.

 

My thoughts exactly. I might as well be the only one in the whole reception aware of these 'rules'. 

post #1239 of 2074
I think that the location as well as the time of the ceremony is equally important, as I said before. If it is in a church, then no matter the time, one should not wear a dinner suit (tuxedo), as it is simply not appropriate.
Forgetting those online guides for a moment, if one seek to read the proper etiquette books from early 1900 to 1960 (at least in Europe for the later part), great emphasis is given to the type of wedding, then location then time of the ceremony. As a matter of fact, it was more common across Europe old money families to get married in full white tie (I have posted examples on my blog), even in versions with a black waistcoat (I suspect high ranking clergy to be present at those events).

Rather then morning coats, that in some part of the world are verging on costume anyway, it would be more appropriate to consider white tie /evening tails for an afternoon into evening event.
post #1240 of 2074
I am trying to figure out your train of thought? You think there would be a benefit to having evening clothing bleeding into the daytime hours by making them even MORE formal?


The rules of etiquette were written at a time where for an evening wedding the ceremony rarely began before 6pm, and then everyone went right into the reception. Nowadays there is some lag time, either because they want time for pictures or because they have to accommodate multiple couples who want to get married in the church that particular day.

The Bottom Line: One will always look more appropriate wearing a tuxedo from 4:30pm through midnight then wearing a morning suit from 4:30 through midnight.
post #1241 of 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcodalondra View Post

(I have posted examples on my blog),

What's your blog?
post #1242 of 2074
Mr Daniel, I am not 100% sure you are addressing my post, however White tie, was and still is used in formal morning events, such as Wedding in northern Europe (Scandinavian country) and when meeting the Pope (with a black waistcoat). In any case, my post had few ifs, and I was trying to address the location issue, for instance, a traditional Christian church wedding, demand the highest formality that the wedding couple can adhere to, and whilst the "social event Black Tie" is a no, no, White Tie, is the highest level of formality for both morning and evening event. Therefore, as people on this thread keep referring to rules and protocol trying to convince people that is better to wear Morning coat into the evening, often to USA events (where is scarcer then white rhinos in the Serengeti), then I tried to share some proper information

Veremund, the link to my blog is included under my posts (in the full website version), and in it I have covered white tie often, however with regards to wedding please see:

http://gentleman-napoletano.tumblr.com/post/81377232132/early-1900s-white-tie-weddings-in-the

http://gentleman-napoletano.tumblr.com/post/68099883050/october-1930-italian-white-tie-wedding-of

Having said that, if marrying in UK or Italy, it is now common to carry the Morning coat into the Evening, although many still change as only the groom and immediate family may be wearing morning attire.

Finally, IMHO for an afternoon wedding in 2014, especially with a formal church cerimony then reception into the evening, it is much better to go for a dark three pieces, possibly fashioned in the most formal manner (peak lapels, one button no flaps) and perhaps one where the top pieces could be part of a Black Lounge/Streseman / mezzo thight/stroller.
post #1243 of 2074
At least in the United States, I can say from experience that tuxedos worn in churches are extremely common and I can't imagine anyone saying that it is inappropriate. That does not necessarily mean that they are correct in the traditional sense, but I just don't see the issue. I know parts of Europe still care more about certain traditions than is the case in the United States, so I think there probably is a cultural difference here. Things that may not be done in Europe are perfectly acceptable to do in the United States. I'd also add that in the United States, white tie is basically dead and black tie has taken its place (with suit and tie replacing black tie as a dress code for certain events). If that is the case, I would think that black tie would serve a similar function in the United States to what white tie serves in parts of Europe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

I say that's bullshit. Don't look at the clock. It is either a daytime affair or an evening affair. I might look askance at a black tux for a 11am wedding followed by a lunch reception...but having the ceremony at 4:30 leading immediately into a dinner is clearly an evening event. Do not sweat it.

I generally agree with this. If we're talking about an event that goes from 4:30 to midnight, then 20% of the event is happening before 6:00 and 80% is happening afterwards. If we are going to do this whole is this an evening or daytime event analysis, however, there is an arbitrary line that has to be drawn somewhere. I draw it at around 4:00PM since before then I think we're talking about a long daytime event that goes into the evening.
post #1244 of 2074
People also need to get real about different aspects of society. America is very big with many sub-cultures. The rules that work for a Park Avenue wedding with two Ivy League grads getting hitched are not going to be the same rules for middle management types in Indiana or blue collar types in Montana. In trying to keep this thread friendly for the man who is new at tailored clothing and may be wearing a suit for the first and last time in his life, I always seek to help him have the best look possible within the parameters of his and the bride's vision of their wedding. I try not to encourage veritable strangers on the Internet to use my own snobbery as a guideline when planning their event. YES BOYS AND GIRLS: Sometimes having everyone clad in tuxes rented from the mall is the only viable option. What we can do is help them pick a look that will not make them wince some years down the line when they are looking at their wedding album.
post #1245 of 2074

Thanks for all the opinions guys! Although I understand that there are certain rules and protocols to adhere to, and I sincerely do appreciate traditional ways of doing, I certainly feel comfortable wearing a tuxedo to church (not Sunday service but for this special event), even if 2 hours of the celebration will be spent before 6 PM. I know that some will disagree and some will be "offended" but I respect each and everyone's opinion.

 

Now, have someone read my other questions about shoe choice (Meermin black wholecut vs. Kent Wang plain toe balmorals vs. any other suggestion of your choice) and the question regarding the simultaneous use of a cummerbund and suspenders?

 

I know cummerbund and suspenders can be worn together (because suspenders are a must in black tie attire and the waist must be covered either by a cummerbund or a waistcoat) but I cannot picture how both would look together. I have little to no luck finding good examples on the web.

 

Thanks guys!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread