or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread - Page 69

post #1021 of 2079
I would say that would be rather incongruous.
post #1022 of 2079
I've seen pictures of it with charcoal suits. It looks weird to me. Most people probably wouldn't notice or care, but it's wrong.
post #1023 of 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousSabatour View Post

It's a really bad idea to wear a tux for my wedding and have my groomsmen in navy suits, right?

I am guessing you want to get a tux but make your groomsmen get one? I would suggest making your dress code black tie preferred, and saying "in a perfect world I would love you guys to be in tuxes but dark suits are good if a tux doesn't make sense for you." Also suggest a day or coupleof days out scouring thrift and consignment stores for tuxedos. I would do charcoal over navy if you are going to doa uniform. Just looks better next to black. As you can see drom pics Iposted earlier Imixed levels of formaity in my grooms party.
post #1024 of 2079
I think the mixed suits work with the groom in a morning suit, as Imthegroom had with his wedding. But not with a groom in a tux. Aside from what some of the hysterics who haunt this thread would have you believe, doing formalwear rentals is not necessarily evil....as long as you go to the right place and get the right style.
post #1025 of 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousSabatour View Post

It's a really bad idea to wear a tux for my wedding and have my groomsmen in navy suits, right?

I dunno what the etiquette is in the US, but dressing "above" your guests is considered inappropriate in most parts of Europe. I would guess the same goes over there in North America. If you know a lot of your friends will not have the means to acquire a tux then I'd opt for an "informal dress" dress code.
post #1026 of 2079
Yeah I mean...I already know all of this.

...I just really want to buy a tux/have a reason to wear it.

Thanks guys.
post #1027 of 2079
Just do it. I was the only one wearing a tux at my wedding, and I don't think it bothered anyone.
post #1028 of 2079

If you would like to wear a tux and your groomsmen wear dark suits I would suggest going with a midnight navy or navy shawl tuxedo with black bow tie.. your groomsmen can wear navy suits with bow tie or black tie so the color scheme is similar but you clearly stand out as the groom.

post #1029 of 2079
I think navy business suits with a bow tie will just look like a half-assed tuxedo parody.
post #1030 of 2079

think the preferred vernacular would be semi-formal... half-assed sounds so vulgar haha

post #1031 of 2079
I saw a half-assed tuxedo in a porno once...
post #1032 of 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

I think navy business suits with a bow tie will just look like a half-assed tuxedo parody.

+1.
post #1033 of 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDaniels View Post

Aside from what some of the hysterics who haunt this thread would have you believe, doing formalwear rentals is not necessarily evil....as long as you go to the right place and get the right style.

This is true, but finding the right place is harder than it sounds.
post #1034 of 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousSabatour View Post

Yeah I mean...I already know all of this.

...I just really want to buy a tux/have a reason to wear it.

Thanks guys.

 

Go buy vintage tuxes together then.  I got mine for $140 at a local consignment store.  Also check out these sites:

 

www.savvyrow.co.uk

www.clermontdirect.com

www.mytuxedo.co.uk

 

I purchased from all of those sites, and can vouch for their good customer service, and prompt shipping to North America (all three are UK sites).   BTG also has a bunch of budget Tuxedo websites listed in its "Buying" section.  Nothing wrong with renting either, though I think you can buy for the same price, or close.

post #1035 of 2079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaves View Post


I dunno what the etiquette is in the US, but dressing "above" your guests is considered inappropriate in most parts of Europe. I would guess the same goes over there in North America. If you know a lot of your friends will not have the means to acquire a tux then I'd opt for an "informal dress" dress code.

 

It is actually quite common for the wedding party to be more formal than the guests here, especially with colour matching rental Tuxedos, worn at three o'clock in the afternoon.  The etiquette has largely gone out the window.  I did not want to make my groomsmen spend $300 or $400 (best case scenario) on morning coats that they would wear once, or even $200 renting them, especially when none of them would be very happy about owning or wearing one.  If we got married in Europe, we would simply have made the dress code morning dress, but no guests would even have known what that meant over here.  We even put "Business Suits" on the invitation, because no one would know what "Lounge Suit" meant - case in point, I didn't until I started researching dress codes for my wedding.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread