or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Storm is coming
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Storm is coming

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Retail had a surge during the Thanksgiving season, and then a lull, with a small push very close to Christmas:

http://www.wwd.com/retail-news/retail-features/holiday-sales-disappoint-6554180?full=true

Personal observations and behavior:

I picked up a few things that I'd been eyeing during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday period, at a 30% discount. A few things IU had been eyeing did not go on sale, and I bought them anyway.

Both the (higher pricetag) gifts that I received and the gifts that I gave were purchased at full retail.
I picked up a few things at the 60%+ discount on a whim (and they were things I'd been eyeing previously anyway.

Because of the timing of Christmas this year, I made a lot of purchases quite late, and free 2-day shipping really influenced my decision to buy or to hold.

I am a sport shopper, but I hardly ever buy anything just because it is on sale. If there is something, the pricepoint with which I am not comfortable, I will not buy it, but will pick it up if I can get it at discount that brings that item below within my comfort zone. Usually, that is a discount of 30-40%.

There are very few stores to whom I have any particular loyalty, and those are all small retailers. If a European store has something at a better price than Barney's, I'm ordering from overseas.

That said, I often am often attracted to products (Epaulet's women's Carmina, Fourshorsemen's special makeups with Viberg boots, a specific jacket or sweater) with extremely limited distribution or are exclusive to a retailer.
______________________________________________________________________

It's time for retailers to get smarter, more agile. I see a lot of smaller businesses (in soft goods and in luxury goods) flourishing while large firms just can't move fast enough to adapt to e-commerce and social media initiatives. I think that all these large firms need to have research arms with significant budgets that have free reign to try things out, and that they need to reach out to their best people on the ground, who talk to actual customers and have relationships with them.
post #2 of 7
+1
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post


Because of the timing of Christmas this year, I made a lot of purchases quite late, and free 2-day shipping really influenced my decision to buy or to hold.
 
I am a sport shopper, but I hardly ever buy anything just because it is on sale. If there is something, the pricepoint with which I am not comfortable, I will not buy it, but will pick it up if I can get it at discount that brings that item below within my comfort zone. Usually, that is a discount of 30-40%.
There are very few stores to whom I have any particular loyalty,

______________________________________________________________________
that have free reign to try things out, and that they need to reach out to their best people on the ground, who talk to actual customers and have relationships with them.

1) Christmas is on the same date every year. I'm not sure how the "timing" could be any different in 2012...unless you were waiting to see if the world ended before you bought any gifts.

 

2) The description that you gave of yourself is one of the most common consumer profiles that marketers point out. In other words, you're a typical shopper...nothing new here.

 

3) A lot of top (middle and lower-level) firms are embracing that perspective. Look up "holistic marketing." Again....nothing new here. Things don't change over night. Just because you don't see change implemented to perfection in the stores/online doesn't mean that the companies aren't working on it.

 

peepwall[1].gif

post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Guy View Post

Because of the timing of Christmas this year, I made a lot of purchases quite late, and free 2-day shipping really influenced my decision to buy or to hold..

Will Xmas be on 12/16 next year so that they can plan accordingly? That ^^^ makes zero sense!
post #5 of 7
Thanksgiving is variable. More days for shopping between thanksgiving and Christmas this year.
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyh View Post

Thanksgiving is variable. More days for shopping between thanksgiving and Christmas this year.

That's kinda dumb. Dont base shopping on TGiving...base it on when Xmas is...the 25th of Dec every year.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post

Will Xmas be on 12/16 next year so that they can plan accordingly? That ^^^ makes zero sense!

I think he means that xmas was on Tuesday, giving most people several days off in a row, ending on a weekday Christmas eve.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The Storm is coming