Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
1) Were you by any chance sitting at a Christmas dinner table, emjoying the festivities and unconciously bending the shoes while you sat? Creasing is to be expected but excessive creasing comes from the behaviour of the wearer. Think back to what exactly were your activities while wearing the shoes. I used to have a habit many years ago of tucking my feet under my chair when I sat at my desk or a restuarant table and this caused massive creasing just like on your shoes. It is amazing how fast and deeply leather can crease when subjected to extreme wear. Many people do this and they are not even aware they are doing it. Then they blame the shoe instead of considering their own movements. It is also difficult for many people to accept they may have caused the problem themselves. Only you will know for sure.
Two other contrbuting factors that come to my mind are:
2) Were these factory seconds? If so, you would have to also accept this creasing or any other defects that come from discounted product.
3) Are the shoes too long for your feet? Where does your toes end in the shoes? If the shoes are too long, there will also be irregular creasing and again, be the wearers fault.
Leather, (for the sake of learning lurkers) being the skin of an animal, will develop their character as you use it. This is part of the charm of leather. Once this character is developed it will settle down. Are you using shoe trees? Hopefully you are not wearing the shoes 2 days in a row either as they should rest a minimum of 24 hrs between wearings.
I suppose I should clear this up. I am expecting creasing, it is a normal part of the wear. My question is whether creasing through the middle of the brouging is normal/acceptable or whether I should look for a different fit. I have some captoes and there is no creasing on the cap and I like that.
1. The creasing in the images was for show only, to illustrate the wear they will develop eventually and to show the crease through the center of the brouging.
2. These are firsts from the AE stand alone store
3. Too long? I don't think so but the point of the thread is to see if they were mis-sized at the store. I am relatively new to decent shoes and don't want to simply accept that my $325 shoes crease there if they shouldn't be. This is the first day of wear.
Edited by MZhammer - 12/26/12 at 2:57pm