or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Harris Tweed Sport Coats Sold at Walmart Proxy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Harris Tweed Sport Coats Sold at Walmart Proxy - Page 5

post #61 of 113

Thanks for the photo! For $50 that is an awesome fit!

 

Leather buttons, some shape and fits well around the shoulders.

 

Clearly this isn't classic British tweed cloth, but still for an original Harris Tweed its a bargain.

 

I've just paid $30 for a new set of Harris Tweed leather buttons, so $50 for a complete jacket is tremendous!

post #62 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

well, um, the fabric looks ok. The rest is not terribly flattering.
Not a great pic. The fit is not so bad overall, other than the shoulders being a bit too wide. But keep in mind that's a 40 and I usually wear a 42. It's an odd design to be sure.
post #63 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

well, um, the fabric looks ok. The rest is not terribly flattering.

It is Harris tweed and it fits him well. What exactly are you expecting for that sort of money?
post #64 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian View Post

It is Harris tweed and it fits him well. What exactly are you expecting for that sort of money?

Personally, I couldn't care less if its harris tweed.

Secondly, the design is decidedly boxy. The closed quarters and lack of waist suppression are a problem for me.

If all you want is something with the harris tweed label, fine, but if something doesn't look good, even $50 is a waste. Buying something just because its cheap is a surefire way to end up with a lot of stuff that you don't really wear.
post #65 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post


Personally, I couldn't care less if its harris tweed.

Secondly, the design is decidedly boxy. The closed quarters and lack of waist suppression are a problem for me.

If all you want is something with the harris tweed label, fine, but if something doesn't look good, even $50 is a waste. Buying something just because its cheap is a surefire way to end up with a lot of stuff that you don't really wear.

 

 That looks better on him than they did on me. I had humungous shoulder divots and the shoulders stuck out "Space Cadet" style. He might need to get a tailor to do some waist suppression on the jacket.

 

 It looks OK and the fabric and hanger are awesome.

 

 If he's happy with it then great! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

post #66 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacking jacket View Post

Thanks for the photo! For $50 that is an awesome fit!

 

Leather buttons, some shape and fits well around the shoulders.

 

Clearly this isn't classic British tweed cloth, but still for an original Harris Tweed its a bargain.

 

I've just paid $30 for a new set of Harris Tweed leather buttons, so $50 for a complete jacket is tremendous!

 

 More like $79.95 + tax.

post #67 of 113

 On another note: I found a great tweed jacket the other day at a local thrift shop that has fabric like the light brown ones at Wal-Mart.

 

 This one fits me great:

 

  The sleeves are just right and show a little cuff.

 

 The shoulders are made pretty much just right.

 

 The only caveat might be that it's a 44R so it might look a little short but I can live with that for...

 

 

 

 $6.00. nod[1].gif

 

 

 

I'm wearing it right now at work but will take it to get dry cleaned at lunch.

post #68 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by FillW View Post

 

 More like $79.95 + tax.

Thats interesting. The Harris Tweed buttons are now $35 + postage from elitebuttons.com ...

 

You seem to be suggesting I was sold counterfeit. If so I need to know. 

 

I had a button smashed whilst at the dry cleaners and not the first time this has happened.

post #69 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacking jacket View Post

Thats interesting. The Harris Tweed buttons are now $35 + postage from elitebuttons.com ...

 

You seem to be suggesting I was sold counterfeit. If so I need to know. 

 

I had a button smashed whilst at the dry cleaners and not the first time this has happened.

 

 Read this link: http://putthison.com/tagged/Harris-Tweed

 

 It says that the buttons on the Wal-Mart tweed jackets are plastic. You probably have the real thing.

 

 

 

On another note: I found another tweed jacket on Friday night that fits me way better. It only cost me $6.99 so i guess the guys are right. You can find better stuff at thrift shops. I brought it to work with me and I'll wear it for work. I still need to get it dry cleaned but it's in pretty good shape as it is.

post #70 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhoff View Post


Another reason why I hate Arizona. Would never find what you just described here.

 

 I used to go to Arizona on work related business. A tweed jacket would be way too hot to wear most of the year there...

post #71 of 113

 I checked at the Wal-Mart last night and they sold a couple of the coats. There was a 44R there but it was gone. They had lots of 38R and 38S and a couple of 40 and 42 sizes. They're at the Aberdeen, Md. store. I tried one on again and the space cadet look is too bad with it on me. 

 

 Oh yeah, I forgot to say that they're on clearance now at $50.00.

post #72 of 113

 Had to go back and look at the jackets one more time before they sold out of them.

 

 Good thing because there was a 44R there that wasn't there before.

 

 Tried it on and I must say that the divot problem was barely noticeable, if at all. The waist was a little boxy but I can get it tailored easy enough. The 42R by comparison had the space cadet effect although the waist was near perfect.

 

 So you know what happened. The Harris Tweed and the awesome hanger for $50.00 was too much to pass up!

 

 

biggrin.gif.

post #73 of 113

 Hey, I'm wearing it right now and have already gotten a compliment on how it looks (unsolicited BTW).  icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

post #74 of 113

 I should be able to take a pic of the jacket on me after work and post it. It'll be a "Before" pic if I decide to keep the jacket and take it to my tailor. After I get it back I'll take an "After" pic and post it.

 

 I have two tweed jackets I bought at thrift stores that are almost the same tweed color etc. but fit way better without alterations.

 

 I'm going to post pics of those jackets in the "Tweed" thread.

post #75 of 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by FillW View Post

 I should be able to take a pic of the jacket on me after work and post it. It'll be a "Before" pic if I decide to keep the jacket and take it to my tailor. After I get it back I'll take an "After" pic and post it.

 I have two tweed jackets I bought at thrift stores that are almost the same tweed color etc. but fit way better without alterations.

 I'm going to post pics of those jackets in the "Tweed" thread.

I am looking forward to the pics.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Harris Tweed Sport Coats Sold at Walmart Proxy