or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The UK/EU tie swap box rises from the Ashes - Reborn Stateside
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The UK/EU tie swap box rises from the Ashes - Reborn Stateside - Page 35

post #511 of 1546
Thread Starter 
hey stitch. box arrive yet?
post #512 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

hey stitch. box arrive yet?

nothing yet. frown.gif

USPS says expected delivery by the 5th, but that it was still in san antonio on the 5th. hopefully i will have it monday.
post #513 of 1546
according to usps it is now in baltimore. i would guess it should be delivered today or tomorrow based on past experience.
post #514 of 1546
box arrived. hopefully pics tonight.
post #515 of 1546
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

box arrived. hopefully pics tonight.
sounds awesome.
post #516 of 1546
all lines are listed l - r

what i plan to take.

sartoria partenopia and YHN



what i plan to give

ties - samuelsohns (brand new) and isaia 7 fold (worn 3 times iirc, pristine condition)



PS - Battisti Napoli hand rolled. used once



what is staying as is

PRL x 3, RLPL, battistoni



harvey and hudson, luigi bianci, BB x 2, NM house brand, zegna



charvet, armani, corneliani, saks silk/wool house brand x 2, YHN



PSs




who is next?
post #517 of 1546
gents, the box is getting a bit weak, imo. not cool.

even though i dont like the looks of many of the ties, im not going to speak to taste. different people like different styles, and maybe the ties i put in, that i think are nice, others think are ugly. but the zegna tie has a huge stain on the front, the pink knit is stained, and some of the others have pulls or just look old and and icky. im just saying this isnt a garbage can for unwanted ties, its an opportunity to swap quality for quality to spruce up your tie game. share and share alike please.
post #518 of 1546
I find this tie swap box a fascinating window into human psychology. Everyone decries what others put in while convincing themselves that the ties they're contributing are PURE GOLD. And, over time (and it's not a long time), the standard of new ties drops. It is utterly inevitable, and it amounts to a pyramid scheme, every time.

My only question is, why can't we accept that it's a bad idea and just drop it? It's not as if there isn't an already existing and far superior method for 'swapping' ties. (Ebay, for the slow of mind.)
post #519 of 1546
i dont think thats the case, and i think you are being overly, and incorrectly, condescending.

im simply asking that people do not put in ties that look like they were used as a bib at some point in time. i think many people here have a solid stash of ties, and have some they are just bored with, or just find that they dont wear for some reason. that to me, is what this box is about. not an opportunity to pick up a sweet tie for free and replace it with something that is ruined.
post #520 of 1546
I was being deliberately provocative. But nothing you've said contradicts the point I made. You shouldn't need to tell people not to replace a nice tie with a less-nice one. But (on average) they will, while telling themselves they aren't. I'm sure I'd do the same thing. So...why bother?
post #521 of 1546
Thread Starter 
Ok, let's fix the box guys.

1) stitch, take the stained ties out (the zegna and the pink knit) and donate them. also take out that blue dragon pocketsquare and donate it.

2) stitch - that isaia you are putting in is not really my speed. why not put in the TF large check and the sammy tie + pocket square you pictured. You are getting a brand new 7-fold unlined YH tie + the SP tie. that's how we make the box better. it's a win-win. You get great stuff, and put in great stuff.

3) the box goes to atlas next. stitch, go ahead and send it to him.
post #522 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post

I was being deliberately provocative. But nothing you've said contradicts the point I made. You shouldn't need to tell people not to replace a nice tie with a less-nice one. But (on average) they will, while telling themselves they aren't. I'm sure I'd do the same thing. So...why bother?

dude. i would reply in length to your claims, but there is no point. anyone who clams they cant tell if they are making a reasonable trade is a liar. its bartering at its most simple form, with a little bit of honor system thrown in. its not rocket science or deep psychology.

on average, people who are selfish will try and get away with as much as they can. people who are decent will not.

if you dont like the box, stay out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

Ok, let's fix the box guys.

1) stitch, take the stained ties out (the zegna and the pink knit) and donate them. also take out that blue dragon pocketsquare and donate it.

2) stitch - that isaia you are putting in is not really my speed. why not put in the TF large check and the sammy tie + pocket square you pictured. You are getting a brand new 7-fold unlined YH tie + the SP tie. that's how we make the box better. it's a win-win. You get great stuff, and put in great stuff.

3) the box goes to atlas next. stitch, go ahead and send it to him.

1.) no problem.

2.) not sure, id like to see what others think about it. i was pretty hesitant to add the isaia because i actually like it a lot. id like to see what others think of it before i proceed. not to mention, once again, i am taking 2 items, and giving more than that. that should count for something.

3.) will do.
post #523 of 1546
Thread Starter 
stitch, are you asking for guys to state which tie they prefer you add - the isaia versus the tom ford large check?
post #524 of 1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

stitch, are you asking for guys to state which tie they prefer you add - the isaia versus the tom ford large check?

noap. just asking if people think the isaia is cool and the swap is legit. not a question of comparison, or what tie of mine people think i should give, i dont think that is necessarily fair. just as is, is the swap fair.
post #525 of 1546
i think the isaia is a great tie. im not a fan of light ties, but i realize thats an odd thing.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The UK/EU tie swap box rises from the Ashes - Reborn Stateside