or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I bought a brand new 2011 coat but it stinks like warehouse odor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I bought a brand new 2011 coat but it stinks like warehouse odor

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Bought a brand new 100% cotton coat for a cheap price. It's from 2011 of May so it's been sitting in their warehouse for that long. They didn't seal shut the plastic bag to prevent odor for going in. The smell is not that strong but when you take a good close wiff it's funky.

I bought some charcoal material suit covers on ebay hopefully it will help to kill the odor but is there something else I can do? I don't want to wash the coat it's brand new and I don't want to take it to the dry cleaners.

Do you think if I wear it often outside the smell will eventually die? Or should I stick some bars of soap in the dust bag? I heard Safeguard soap works.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I thought about spraying some Armani code cologne on it but maybe that will make things worse?
post #2 of 20
Dry clean
post #3 of 20
-Hang it outside to air out on a clear day
-Brush it a with garment brush to get out the dust
-Put an electric HEPA filter in your closet (I almost always have mine running to reduce odors and dust)
-After that, you can try loading a spray bottle with half vodka/half water. Spray conservatively. Google for more info, I've only read about this once
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu00a View Post

Dry clean

This should be a last resort.
post #5 of 20
I've found airing it outdoors for a while typically works. I've bought supposingly NWOT stuff, including off these forums, that smelled horribly and would typically hang the piece outside for about a week, then dry clean and the smell would be gone.

By the way, from my experience, dry cleaning something with a strong odor doesn't seem to always get rid of the odor. Not sure how it is for others, maybe my dry cleaners just suck.
post #6 of 20
I've gotten the smell of cigar smoke out of a couple jackets with a good steaming followed by a lengthy airing. YMMV
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the advise guys. biggrin.gif

Been wanting to purchase a steamer for the longest not a bad idea.

I'm going to try and put a box of baking soda inside the dust cover bag for a whole week and see if I get results.

I could return the coat for a refund but I got it at a steal.
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post

Thanks for the advise guys. biggrin.gif
Been wanting to purchase a steamer for the longest not a bad idea.
I'm going to try and put a box of baking soda inside the dust cover bag for a whole week and see if I get results.
I could return the coat for a refund but I got it at a steal.


Let us know how it goes.  Would like to see what works for you in case I ever have this experience.

post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone for tips and advice!

I will give an update in a couple of weeks. biggrin.gif
Edited by Snoopy - 12/9/12 at 11:01pm
post #10 of 20
Return it or if it was so cheap as you suggest then the smell was probably part of the deal! Otherwise hang it outside - that will probably cure it.
post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
Update:

The smell of my coat is completely gone. Apparently the charcoal covers I bought from ebay did the job in eradicating the smell.



They are cheaply made in china covers. The plastic see through is thin and cheap but I guess because of the charcoal material fabric they are effective in absorbing bad odors.
Edited by Snoopy - 2/15/13 at 2:39pm
post #12 of 20
Wait a minute. Something doesn't feel right. Was there really a smelly coat, or is this a well devised attempt to sell some of those dust covers? I've heard of viral marketing before but never felt victimized until today.
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by agjiffy View Post

Wait a minute. Something doesn't feel right. Was there really a smelly coat, or is this a well devised attempt to sell some of those dust covers? I've heard of viral marketing before but never felt victimized until today.

Well spotted. Marginal businesses always feel the need to resort to such tactics.
post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 
Guys I don't sell on ebay. I edited my post.

Those covers are sold by chinese sellers, I'm not chinese. I'm not here for that shit stop acting like little drama queens!

The covers are cheap material crap but I they work because my coat does not smell like warehouse anymore.
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post

Guys I don't sell on ebay. I edited my post.

Those covers are sold by chinese sellers, I'm not chinese. I'm not here for that shit stop acting like little drama queens!

The covers are cheap material crap but I they work because my coat does not smell like warehouse anymore.

Now you are blaming the Chinese and throwing out comparisons that are very disrespectful to drama queens. Stop deflecting. Why no pictures of this supposedly smelly coat? What seller of such goods keeps their wares in a smelly warehouse? Your story doesn't hold water. J'accuse!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › I bought a brand new 2011 coat but it stinks like warehouse odor