or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Budget suits for men with large drop
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Budget suits for men with large drop

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

College student, so not as wealthy as I would prefer to be, but still in need of a suit. I already have suits in black, navy and light grey check. None fit very well. They have all been altered to fit, less bad.

 

However, there is not much to be found in my size. I am close to 5ft11,  app. 165 lbs, and with a 10" drop. 41/31. I am sure there is someone else out there with the same "problem". Rather big drop, combined with squat-ass and larger thighs than average Joe.

Where do you get your suits? Well, clothes in general for that matter, but that is not the topic.  

 

Searched the forum for a couple of clues, and BB and SS seems to be "OK". I already have OK suits. I would like to find something that fits good, 

post #2 of 19
Sell your 3 suits on Ebay.
Save up for 1 entry-level $500 MTM suit. in navy.
post #3 of 19

At 5'11, 165lbs, I doubt that you have "larger thighs than average Joe." Every guy says that, but I digress. Buy an online MTM suit. You can find them starting at about $400, and they'll be better value (IMO) than most retailers that sell in the $400-$800 range.

post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJKD View Post

College student, so not as wealthy as I would prefer to be, but still in need of a suit. I already have suits in black, navy and light grey check. None fit very well. They have all been altered to fit, less bad.

 

However, there is not much to be found in my size. I am close to 5ft11,  app. 165 lbs, and with a 10" drop. 41/31. I am sure there is someone else out there with the same "problem". Rather big drop, combined with squat-ass and larger thighs than average Joe.

Where do you get your suits? Well, clothes in general for that matter, but that is not the topic.  

 

Searched the forum for a couple of clues, and BB and SS seems to be "OK". I already have OK suits. I would like to find something that fits good, 

What Vinny said above.

5'11 165? you are far from unable to buy OTR.  9-10' drop is common these days with younger men.

post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

At 5'11, 165lbs, I doubt that you have "larger thighs than average Joe." Every guy says that, but I digress. Buy an online MTM suit. You can find them starting at about $400, and they'll be better value (IMO) than most retailers that sell in the $400-$800 range.


I'm going to disagree here with you, but that's okay.  I just don't think I can ever feel comfortable purchasing clothing from a website that says "how it works" anywhere on it.  The way it should "work" is to find a local clothier that will take the time to become an asset to your professional career.  Find the right one and they will know your wardrobe better than even you will.  You have to look at your clothing as an investment IMO.  Dress like the guy whose job you want rather than dressing like the other guys that have your same position. 

post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

At 5'11, 165lbs, I doubt that you have "larger thighs than average Joe." Every guy says that, but I digress. 

 

Ha, I agree with this.  

post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GentryLtd View Post

The way it should "work" is to find a local clothier that will take the time to become an asset to your professional career.  Find the right one and they will know your wardrobe better than even you will

 

Agreed, but OP probably won't pay for that. Usually, when a guy leads with "I'm a college student," he's making an excuse for not spending much money.

post #8 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

 

Agreed, but OP probably won't pay for that. Usually, when a guy leads with "I'm a college student," he's making an excuse for not spending much money.

Not an excuse. I am merely stating a fact. If I some day can afford tailor-made suits without having to eat noodles and live on the street for three months, I might consider it.

 

Thanks for the advise so far. On the matter of my thigh size; I am rather certain, we are pretty close. Can´t find the measuring tape, so I used a  piece of cord. App. 4-5 inches less than my waist, so 26". I would call that bigger than average. 

 

Any hints on online MTM-suits?

post #9 of 19
I'd be really leery of online MTM. Stuff like that tends to be aimed at "average" If your measurements are right (I'm assuming tape measure and measured at the right spots) you're at higher then usual risk of a botched job. Look at the various results of the "average" buyers. Enough of those are botched.

Ignore suits for now. Go with odd jackets. Prowl the outlets etc .
post #10 of 19
Post a pic of you wearing your suits you have now
post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon View Post

Post a pic of you wearing your suits you have now

Here you go. Only the navy one, the two others was purchased a couple of years ago, and dosen´t fit well at all. 700

 

700

 

700

 

700

post #12 of 19
Not many labels makes drop 10 suit /jackets. Rugby is one of them. I am 37/26 and on the same boat as you. I have few rugby jackets and all of them work well without single alterations. Rugby is closing on 02/02/2013 so you may want to stock up. Other than that ps by paul smith(I know they are the lowest level of paul smith) slim fit jackets have drop 8/9. Don't know if you can get hold of ck calvin klein(grey label) - their suits and jackets are drop 10. And there could be few more diffusion labels may offer 8-10 drops.
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 

Does this link work? https://www.dropbox.com/sh/su7l8rza41o4r6b/0nTt5Sk10u

 

If not, I tried to upload the pictures two days ago, but mod haven´t got around to accept or something. Think the pictures are available in my profile. 

 

Might do as Nicola says and just go with odd jackets. Keeping the black suit, not worth anything anyways. 

post #14 of 19
Your not a drop 10 your jacket is a size small. Also its too short.
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon View Post

Your not a drop 10 your jacket is a size small. Also its too short.

Right. I better tell my measuring tape to go home. It is obviously drunk. 

 

The jacket is 38S, wouldent a 40R be too big?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Budget suits for men with large drop