or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Star Trek into Darkness (2013)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Star Trek into Darkness (2013) - Page 7

post #91 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Yes, sacrilege, and it's ok that the story forked but they've turned a progressive science fiction TV series into a sequence of increasingly dumb action movies. Even in a "forked" universe the Enterprise's mission was not to shoot first and ask questions later.

This has been increasingly weighing on my mind in analyzing Trek's direction over the last few installments. Great to know I'm not going insane.

Not to say that one of my favorite scenes ever isn't at the beginning of First Contact as the Defiant is taking heavy fire, Worf calls for ramming speed, and then the 1701-E swoops in like a complete bad-a and dishes out some swift justice to the Borg. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #92 of 222
Thread Starter 
What worked well in serial tv form, doesn't when translated to film. They did what they needed to do to connect to new audiences and revive an all but dead franchise.

Of all the movies, Star Trek The Motion Picture was closest in feel and form to the show. Remember how that turned out? Lets be glad they didn't pick a similar direction in the reboot.
post #93 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Argentino View Post

This has been increasingly weighing on my mind in analyzing Trek's direction over the last few installments. Great to know I'm not going insane.

Not to say that one of my favorite scenes ever isn't at the beginning of First Contact as the Defiant is taking heavy fire, Worf calls for ramming speed, and then the 1701-E swoops in like a complete bad-a and dishes out some swift justice to the Borg. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Well there's a long history with the Borg. It's clear they can't be reasoned with. If they remade the original trek movie they just would have sent the whole fleet to attack V'ger because it was in their territory.
post #94 of 222
Thread Starter 
I think if you rewatch the reboot you would realize most of the fighting was defensive in nature. The Kalvin didn't shoot first and when the Enterprise finally encountered Nero's ship he had destroyed most of the fleet already present. What were you expecting Kirk and his crew to do? Hail the ship and request peace talks?
post #95 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

I think if you rewatch the reboot you would realize most of the fighting was defensive in nature. The Kalvin didn't shoot first and when the Enterprise finally encountered Nero's ship he had destroyed most of the fleet already present. What were you expecting Kirk and his crew to do? Hail the ship and request peace talks?

It's just a very war-like stance. They fired phasers all of like 6 times in the original series. Frankly the best stories and episodes they barely fired a shot at all. The movie was a big dumb action movie. It has little in common with the original series, or even the next generation.
post #96 of 222
Thread Starter 
Different times and a different medium.
post #97 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

Different times and a different medium.

So we're bigger and dumber and more into explosions nowadays?


Yeah, I suppose you're right.
post #98 of 222
Thread Starter 
You need to look at it like this. No one is taking away those classic episodes. They will always be there to enjoy. Yet the fact is the franchise was on life support. The newer shows were not working well and they had to take it into some new directions if they wanted to revive it and broaden the audience. I'll admit that the reboot is not the Star Trek we grew up with, but that doesn't mean it's not exacty what it needed to be.
post #99 of 222
Well I hope you enjoy it because I do not. If I want dumb explosions I'll watch transformers.

To be clear, I don't want dumb explosions.
post #100 of 222
Thread Starter 
I've seen Transformers and they are not comparable.

Sorry you didn't like the reboot. I'm obviously not going to change your mind. Hopefully the sequel lives up to my expectations and somehow connects with you in ways that the first did not.
post #101 of 222
I'll watch it. I'm an asshole and always hope it will be better. But why do they have to appeal to the mouth breathers for decent Science fiction?
post #102 of 222
Thread Starter 
If you never watched Red Letter Media's review of Star Trek before, give it a go Harvey.


Part 1:
Star Trek (2009) Review Part 1 of 2 Red... by TV-Tastic

Part 2:
Star Trek (2009) Review Part 2 of 2 Red... by TV-Tastic
post #103 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Mouse View Post

If you never watched Red Letter Media's review of Star Trek before, give it a go Harvey.


Part 1:
Star Trek (2009) Review Part 1 of 2 Red... by TV-Tastic

Part 2:
Star Trek (2009) Review Part 2 of 2 Red... by TV-Tastic

Those reviews are always awesome, I just wish they'd do away with the pathetic attempts at rape humor.
post #104 of 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Yes, sacrilege, and it's ok that the story forked but they've turned a progressive science fiction TV series into a sequence of increasingly dumb action movies. Even in a "forked" universe the Enterprise's mission was not to shoot first and ask questions later.

I don't think they'll be "increasingly dumb". From what I read, the high-handed Trek morality will be back and Abrams is trying to do with ST what Nolan did with Dark Knight. Time will tell if it works or not....

Not everything Trek can be as good or deep as say, TNG S2E9 "Measure of a Man", but I'd still appreciate the effort.
Quote:
You need to look at it like this. No one is taking away those classic episodes. They will always be there to enjoy. Yet the fact is the franchise was on life support. The newer shows were not working well and they had to take it into some new directions if they wanted to revive it and broaden the audience. I'll admit that the reboot is not the Star Trek we grew up with, but that doesn't mean it's not exacty what it needed to be.

Yeah...anything after the disaster called Enterprise is going to be good by comparison...maybe my expectations have been lowered without me realizing it. Captain Archer was the fucking George W of the Federation LOL.

edit: BTW am I the only one who got butthurt when they Lucased up the TOS series for DVD? I rather liked the foil balls on strings representing planets and such. No need to revamp the FX with some CG bullshit.
post #105 of 222
Thread Starter 
I don't know. While including the original FX on disk too is the right way to go, it's not like they edited or changed the actual story. That's what got people so upset about Star Wars, not Lucasfilms deciding to clean up the special effects and sound.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Star Trek into Darkness (2013)