or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit For Prom - Advice Needed - [PICS INSIDE]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suit For Prom - Advice Needed - [PICS INSIDE] - Page 3

post #31 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloWang View Post

[Pics added]
So looks like the arms need to be shorten, but how much?
Any tailor/alternations will work?
http://www.yelp.com/biz/capitol-tailor-and-alterations-san-jose-4#query:tailor
http://www.yelp.com/biz/vans-alteration-and-tailoring-san-jose#query:tailor
http://www.yelp.com/biz/effies-cleaners-and-alterations-san-jose#query:alternations



Still not sure what shoes I will be wearing.

I am new and still learning as well. As far as I can see, other than the sleeves length, you need to hem those pants. Also, first rule is that you NEVER button the bottom button for a two-button jacket.

 

As for the cost, I believe it should be around $30 to shorten at both sleeves.

 

I used to think that Black suit+Black shirt = SUPER COOL, but now I think that the only suit that work with black shirt is silver or grey, period.

 

I think AE Strand is a great shoes. If possible, get the AE Strand. Not only that it looks cool, but it will last you a long time. However, if you will not going to get them this time, just go for black shoes. Do not wear square toe shoes.

post #32 of 203

If you are going with everything she chose for you then why come here at all? You are right, it is just a high school prom and no one will look at you sideways for going to prom in a black shirt and a teal bow tie, but there is no way whatsoever to look better than everyone else in the colors she has chosen for you. That's like wanting your car to look better than everyone else's but insisting on driving a Ford Pinto.

 

My suggestion? If you are going to simply give her what she wants (nothing wrong with that, mind you) then just accept you are going to look like an Italian waiter and save your energy for dressing nice when you start college.

post #33 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

If you are going with everything she chose for you then why come here at all? You are right, it is just a high school prom and no one will look at you sideways for going to prom in a black shirt and a teal bow tie, but there is no way whatsoever to look better than everyone else in the colors she has chosen for you. That's like wanting your car to look better than everyone else's but insisting on driving a Ford Pinto.

 

My suggestion? If you are going to simply give her what she wants (nothing wrong with that, mind you) then just accept you are going to look like an Italian waiter and save your energy for dressing nice when you start college.

Italian waiter wears white/white. It would be more like a grumpy bodyguard.

post #34 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0bbie View Post

Italian waiter wears white/white. It would be more like a grumpy bodyguard.

 

Nah, they both wear black/black. But I can verify that it is definitely a body guard look too because I know guys who actually work as body guards who dress that way. lol

post #35 of 203
Thread Starter 




Most likely getting these for $70.

Well now that there's not much to do as to what to BUY. I came here wanting to know and learn for MY prom. For her dance, ill have to live with some of my dates choices.

There's just what to do for alternations now.
post #36 of 203

The biggest things for high school. The pants are way to long. The sleeves are way to long. Cant say for sure in inches. But the pants should be worn with your dress shoes and just gently lay on the shoe. The sleeves should be around the area of your wrist bone and the shirt should show about a 1/4" of cuff.

 

Don't ever button the bottom button.

 

The stitching still in the vents in the back may be affecting it but, the jacket looks a little tight, I would go up a it may help with the right shoulder and then get it taken in at the sides for tapering. As the suit is now a tailor couldn't do much about the shoulder dent. You could also the back taken out but you may be able to tell you had it taken out.

 

I would try to find a tailor with a good reputation that only does tailoring. If you have the money go to a very good tailor, if you think it's worth it (I did in high school, but I was alone in that category).

post #37 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by suits123 View Post

The biggest things for high school. The pants are way to long. The sleeves are way to long. Cant say for sure in inches. But the pants should be worn with your dress shoes and just gently lay on the shoe. The sleeves should be around the area of your wrist bone and the shirt should show about a 1/4" of cuff.

 

Don't ever button the bottom button.

 

The stitching still in the vents in the back may be affecting it but, the jacket looks a little tight, I would go up a it may help with the right shoulder and then get it taken in at the sides for tapering. As the suit is now a tailor couldn't do much about the shoulder dent. You could also the back taken out but you may be able to tell you had it taken out.

 

I would try to find a tailor with a good reputation that only does tailoring. If you have the money go to a very good tailor, if you think it's worth it (I did in high school, but I was alone in that category).

Well, I think going to a very good tailor will cost more, and I don't think it worth it for an H&M suit. He shouldn't pay $50 or more on his alteration.

post #38 of 203
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by suits123 View Post

The biggest things for high school. The pants are way to long. The sleeves are way to long. Cant say for sure in inches. But the pants should be worn with your dress shoes and just gently lay on the shoe. The sleeves should be around the area of your wrist bone and the shirt should show about a 1/4" of cuff.

Don't ever button the bottom button.

The stitching still in the vents in the back may be affecting it but, the jacket looks a little tight, I would go up a it may help with the right shoulder and then get it taken in at the sides for tapering. As the suit is now a tailor couldn't do much about the shoulder dent. You could also the back taken out but you may be able to tell you had it taken out.

I would try to find a tailor with a good reputation that only does tailoring. If you have the money go to a very good tailor, if you think it's worth it (I did in high school, but I was alone in that category).

Trying to not spend that much on alternations as the suit cost me <$80.

So the ones I listed, just go to those? Seem to have decent Yelp reviews.

- Sleeves shorten so that 1/4" of shirt shows
- Pants hemmed so that they rest on shoes
post #39 of 203

I strongly recommend buying a white shirt.

post #40 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloWang View Post


Trying to not spend that much on alternations as the suit cost me <$80.
So the ones I listed, just go to those? Seem to have decent Yelp reviews.
- Sleeves shorten so that 1/4" of shirt shows
- Pants hemmed so that they rest on shoes

Yes. Those are the biggest thing. Obviously the sleeve is based on you having correct sleeve length. There are many thought but most agree the shirt should not extend past the base of your hand. From there you can get the proper sleeve length. See here http://pinterest.com/pin/180636635024544519/

And undo the bottom button :)

 

The tailors you listed should be fine hemming the pants and sleeves its the most common suit alterations done.

I personally would get the suit taken out or get a size larger but it may be the way you are standing etc.

 

I also would recommend a white or dark grey shirt. Or where a grey tie with the black suit/shirt.

post #41 of 203
Thread Starter 
Alrighty, so proper sleeve length would be hitting the wrist. Then the suit will be adjusted to show 1/4" of the shirt sleeve.
Unbutton the bottom button.

So I showed my date with a white shirt and she still wants the black shirt. So will be going black for her dance.
You think the suit should be a size larger? I thought that this suit was still a bit too big.
post #42 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloWang View Post
You think the suit should be a size larger? I thought that this suit was still a bit too big.

 

Probably because the shoulders don't fit particularly well. Almost any part of a suit's fit can be adjusted except for the shoulders. So even if the jacket is too big everywhere else but the shoulders it can still usually be made to fit you in many situations. But again, that is going to be a more expensive alteration process. Just do the sleeves and hem the trousers and you should be fine. But you'll be fine because kids usually look bad at the prom. 

post #43 of 203

When talking to the tailor about hemming the trousers, keep in mind that tailors often have different ideas of what "hemming trousers" means. How the pants rest on the shoe is referred to as "break" because of how the fabric folds. The fashion of the moment is having no break in the trousers, but like anything this can be overdone. Make sure you bring your shoes with you when you are having the pants marked for alterations, and ask the tailor for just a little break if you want the fabric of the pants to rest on the shoe. Its better to be clear with the tailor the first time you visit rather than making them have to do guesswork when it comes time to make the alterations. Other than that, have fun at prom!

post #44 of 203
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Probably because the shoulders don't fit particularly well. Almost any part of a suit's fit can be adjusted except for the shoulders. So even if the jacket is too big everywhere else but the shoulders it can still usually be made to fit you in many situations. But again, that is going to be a more expensive alteration process. Just do the sleeves and hem the trousers and you should be fine. But you'll be fine because kids usually look bad at the prom. 

Is it because the shoulders are too small? I might be able to exchange it for a size larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post

When talking to the tailor about hemming the trousers, keep in mind that tailors often have different ideas of what "hemming trousers" means. How the pants rest on the shoe is referred to as "break" because of how the fabric folds. The fashion of the moment is having no break in the trousers, but like anything this can be overdone. Make sure you bring your shoes with you when you are having the pants marked for alterations, and ask the tailor for just a little break if you want the fabric of the pants to rest on the shoe. Its better to be clear with the tailor the first time you visit rather than making them have to do guesswork when it comes time to make the alterations. Other than that, have fun at prom!

Thanks!
So I want the fabric to end right when it touches the shoes?
post #45 of 203
Thread Starter 
Also when I'm wearing a white shirt for my prom what bow tie color is appropriate?
Will be using a white linen pocket square. So either a black or grey tie?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit For Prom - Advice Needed - [PICS INSIDE]