or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit For Prom - Advice Needed - [PICS INSIDE]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Suit For Prom - Advice Needed - [PICS INSIDE]

post #1 of 203
Thread Starter 
[PICS WILL BE UPLOADED LATER - Suit is being delivered by friend]

So I purchased a suit from H&M instead of going the rental route.
1. Black Shirt - $15
2. Jacket - $50
3. Pants - $25
4. David Beckham Bodywear Tee - BOGO Free $15

Edits:
  • Heather Grey V-neck as Undershirt


Costs less than $100 after a few discounts here and there.

Will need help with tailoring/alternations after I get photos up. Any photo suggestions/views you guys need?

Wanted to post this thread before I got the photos up because I need to start eBay hunting for shoes. I have a pair of Kenneth Coles, good enough? Hard creases though.



After some reading/searching it seems that Allen Edmonds Park Avenue or Strands are good choices. Anything else?

$50 on eBay: Cop? Pretty decent condition.

There are also some in lightly used condition at bid for $60 now.
Edited by BuffaloWang - 12/5/12 at 9:15pm
post #2 of 203
ewww dude, seriously. black shirt is the first fail
post #3 of 203
BuffaloWang,

You already have the suit. So I am going to leave that alone.

1. Get a white shirt, not black. Unless you are servicing hors d'oeuvres, then by all means.

A white shirt looks better with black, see Mr. James Bond:



2. Assuming that white t-shirt is for use as an undershirt. Get a heather grey v-neck t-shirt. It will show through less and when you (likely) take off your tie.

3. Get the Park Avenues. They are better in every way. The strand is also a fine choice...really any balmoral style shoe in black would be fine. Even a blucher style like a leeds or macneil would look better than what you have posted.
post #4 of 203
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post

ewww dude, seriously. black shirt is the first fail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss17 View Post

BuffaloWang,
You already have the suit. So I am going to leave that alone.
1. Get a white shirt, not black. Unless you are servicing hors d'oeuvres, then by all means.
2. Assuming that white t-shirt is for use as an undershirt. Get a heather grey v-neck t-shirt. It will show through less and when you (likely) take off your tie.
3. Get the Park Avenues. They are better in every way. The strand is also a fine choice...really any balmoral style shoe in black would be fine. Even a blucher style like a leeds or macneil would look better than what you have posted.

Black shirt comment not that constructive. Forgot to mention, only reason it's black is due to my date. I have explained to her that white is better, but she begs to differ. She wants black, so I'll let her be happy. Will be going with a white shirt for my prom tho.

I do have a heather grey vneck that I will wear. Thank you for the suggestion.
Was just posting the white tee's as a good deal biggrin.gif

So these are a good buy for $50? http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.php?image=Capture_00765_006.JPG&username=oZmoso&aid=734505642
post #5 of 203
If she wants you to wear a black shirt then let her go to the prom alone. smile.gif
post #6 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloWang View Post

Black shirt comment not that constructive. Forgot to mention, only reason it's black is due to my date. I have explained to her that white is better, but she begs to differ. She wants black, so I'll let her be happy. Will be going with a white shirt for my prom tho.

So these are a good buy for $50? http://img.inkfrog.com/click_enlarge1.php?image=Capture_00765_006.JPG&username=oZmoso&aid=734505642

1. You could put on both the white and black shirt in front of her and see if she really likes black best. Sometimes girls get ideas in their head because they envision it being cool based on [insert celebrity here], then realize it doesn't actually look that good. If she still picks black, so be it.

2. If you know those shoes will fit you, then yes they are certainly a good buy.
post #7 of 203
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauss17 View Post

1. You could put on both the white and black shirt in front of her and see if she really likes black best. Sometimes girls get ideas in their head because they envision it being cool based on [insert celebrity here], then realize it doesn't actually look that good. If she still picks black, so be it.
2. If you know those shoes will fit you, then yes they are certainly a good buy.

I will definitely do that. When she told me black, I had even sent her photos of black suit w. white shirt. Still nothing. Even Daniel Craig couldn't change her mind.

Shoes should fit me. Do the PA's fit TTS?
They might be a tad bigger, but I have soles.
post #8 of 203
If you really have to wear black shirt. Forget about prom.


post #9 of 203
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu00a View Post

If you really have to wear black shirt. Forget about prom.

I don't think that prom should be canceled just because my shirt is black.
It's high school and it's prom; just wanted to look to come here for some tips to have my outfit fit and look better than other people.
post #10 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloWang View Post

Shoes should fit me. Do the PA's fit TTS?
They might be a tad bigger, but I have soles.

Upon closer inspection, those are actually the Fifth Avenue, not Park Avenue. However they are both made on the 5 last anyhow (i.e. they fit the same). All that said, They are not TTS in my opinion, but it depends on your feet. Everyone's are different. They run, as a general rule, somewhat narrow and a bit on the long side. Some people can wear TTS and others cannot. My brother is a size 10 TTS and wear a 10E in the Park Avenue. Others have success going down half a size and up a width.

If you are not certain, I would not order them off the internet. Go to your local Allen Edmonds store and try some on. It is better to pay more and find ones that fit. You could even try on that shoe in that size to find out whether or not to order them.
post #11 of 203
I think the streetwear folks can help you better
post #12 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaves View Post

If she wants you to wear a black shirt then let her go to the prom alone. smile.gif

No.

OP, if there's a chance you'll get laid, let her talk you into the black shirt.

Swallow your iGent pride. Maybe she swallows you. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #13 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

No.
OP, if there's a chance you'll get laid, let her talk you into the black shirt.
Swallow your iGent pride. Maybe she swallows you. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

If there's just a chance to get laid by wearing a black shirt, get another date who won't boss you around like your a little kid, she's not your mom! If she guarantees it, go for it, that's totally different. The stupid shit we do to get laid, there's no end to it...biggrin.gif
post #14 of 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

No.
OP, if there's a chance you'll get laid, let her talk you into the black shirt.
Swallow your iGent pride. Maybe she swallows you. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I doubt it. He doesn't sounds to have the 'right' capacity
post #15 of 203

IMO don't go with a black suit and black shirt even if your girl is asking for it, unless something of the posts above happens. I, personally, think this is one of the ocassions you can dress to impress, you can do it all days of the week, but this time your around your friends, at least when I have events like grads or proms, what I like is to be comfortable. I think you need to feel confident with what you are wearing and because your girl is telling you to wear a black shirt, maybe you will not feel comfortable. 

 

Just my thoughts. Last weekend I went to a graduation, I wear a black suit with some little grey squares (I don't know how to describe it) white shirt, a I-don't-know-what-colour tie (it was like fuccia with some design) and my pocket square. Felt comfortable, got the girl. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Suit For Prom - Advice Needed - [PICS INSIDE]