Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:04 pm in Classic Menswear
- MONITALY AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 9/23/14 at 11:28am in Streetwear and Denim
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 5:12 pm in Classic Menswear
- Eidos Napoli Last post on Today at 5:05 pm in Classic Menswear
- ISAIA NAPOLI - SUPER HUGE MEGATHREAD - Suits, Sport Coats, Jackets, Pants, Ties, Hangers &... Last post on 11/13/13 at 7:07am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
Choosing Men's Designer Suits
Last edited: 11/8/13
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?Last edited: 9/2/13
- What Kind of Suit Should I Buy?Last edited: 6/4/12
- How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?Last edited: 5/16/13
- What Should I Wear To A Job Interview?Last edited: 7/25/13
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Brooklyn Clothing Co
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Shoulder Width?post #1 of 812/4/12 at 10:13pmThread StarterBeen looking on eBay recently for some good vintage finds. I've come across several promising suits and jackets that look perfect, with the exception of what appear, to me, to be shoulders that are on the narrow side. Specifically, size 44 suits with a 17 inch shoulder width. I wear a 44 short/regular off the rack, and the majority of my jackets have a shoulder width of around 19 inches or so. Is a shoulder width of 17 inches unusual for a size 44 jacket?
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 812/5/12 at 1:16ampost #3 of 812/5/12 at 5:37ampost #4 of 812/5/12 at 5:51ampost #5 of 812/5/12 at 11:32amThread Starterpost #6 of 812/5/12 at 1:36pm
I've bought alot of jackets on eBay, have had a lot of experience measuring and re-measuring jackets, and learned that is hard to trust the consistency of seller's measurements.
I'm a 42L and middle of the road sholder width is 19". 18.5" is at the low end and 19.5" - 20" is at the wide end. So 17" on a 44 doesn't seem possible.
I would say that the seller probably measured incorrectly or in some strange way, such as on a hanger that distorted the measurement. Especially if the chest measurement and length all come in as normal for a 44....it is just very unlikely you'd have a jacket with a 48" chest (or whatever is normal for a size 44) funneling down to tiny 17" shoulders.
If you really like the jacket it would probably be worth contacting the seller and probing further ...ask how exactly they measured (seam to seam with jacket laid flat?), if they would be willing to re-measure for you, etc.post #7 of 812/5/12 at 5:52pmpost #8 of 812/5/12 at 8:25pmThread Starter
- Shoulder Width?
Styleforum Top Picks
- What Should I Ask My Groomsmen to Wear?
- › Styleforum Discount? 1 minute ago
- › shoe construction...behind the veil 2 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Theard 2 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 3 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Clearance, Panta silk ties 4 minutes ago
- › Eidos Napoli 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread 7 minutes ago
- › Why all the hate for wholecuts? 7 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › The ten least expensive cars to insure in the US
- › The Styleforum Brief: March 2015
- › Going Places: A Brief Trip to Naples
- › One Sneaker to Rule Them All: The Rise of the...
- › People Who Make Our Lives Better: Jack...
- › CT Shirts Presents: How to Choose the Best...
- › Fok's Pick: Quilted Vests
- › A Suit Well-Traveled: Clark Gable’s...
- › Six questions to ask when vetting your...
- › The truth about how to be great at content...