Related Forum Threads
- Styleforum and A&H present "The Proper Kit" Trunk show in NYC, Nov 7 2015 Last post on 12/4/15 at 9:55pm in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:03 pm in Classic Menswear
- MONITALY AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 9/23/14 at 11:28am in Streetwear and Denim
- Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) Last post on Today at 3:29 pm in Classic Menswear
- Eidos Napoli Last post on Today at 3:25 pm in Classic Menswear
Deals of the Week: October 5th, 2015
Last edited: 10/6/15
- Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016Last edited: 1/29/16
- Erik's picks: streetstyle from Pitti Uomo 89Last edited: 1/29/16
- What Should I Wear for the Holidays?Last edited: 12/20/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Shoulder Width?post #1 of 812/4/12 at 10:13pmThread StarterBeen looking on eBay recently for some good vintage finds. I've come across several promising suits and jackets that look perfect, with the exception of what appear, to me, to be shoulders that are on the narrow side. Specifically, size 44 suits with a 17 inch shoulder width. I wear a 44 short/regular off the rack, and the majority of my jackets have a shoulder width of around 19 inches or so. Is a shoulder width of 17 inches unusual for a size 44 jacket?
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 812/5/12 at 1:16ampost #3 of 812/5/12 at 5:37ampost #4 of 812/5/12 at 5:51ampost #5 of 812/5/12 at 11:32amThread Starterpost #6 of 812/5/12 at 1:36pm
I've bought alot of jackets on eBay, have had a lot of experience measuring and re-measuring jackets, and learned that is hard to trust the consistency of seller's measurements.
I'm a 42L and middle of the road sholder width is 19". 18.5" is at the low end and 19.5" - 20" is at the wide end. So 17" on a 44 doesn't seem possible.
I would say that the seller probably measured incorrectly or in some strange way, such as on a hanger that distorted the measurement. Especially if the chest measurement and length all come in as normal for a 44....it is just very unlikely you'd have a jacket with a 48" chest (or whatever is normal for a size 44) funneling down to tiny 17" shoulders.
If you really like the jacket it would probably be worth contacting the seller and probing further ...ask how exactly they measured (seam to seam with jacket laid flat?), if they would be willing to re-measure for you, etc.post #7 of 812/5/12 at 5:52pmpost #8 of 812/5/12 at 8:25pmThread Starter
- Shoulder Width?
Styleforum Top Picks
- Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › The Official Cars Discount / Thrift & DIY Questions and Bragging ... 30 seconds ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 49 seconds ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 2 minutes ago
- › Romantic Europe meets NYC: the ROBERT GELLER thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 3 minutes ago
- › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? 3 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 4 minutes ago
- › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF FEB... 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...