or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The perfect tuxedo except for one thing...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The perfect tuxedo except for one thing...

post #1 of 142
Thread Starter 
THEY HAVE MOTHER BEEPING SIDE VENTS!!!!!!!! SB one button peak lapel with side vents. This seems to be very common in the sub $1000 range that I'm looking at. Is there a reason why these designers ruin a perfectly good tuxedo with side vents? Is it demand or is it somehow cheaper to make?
post #2 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnikies View Post

THEY HAVE MOTHER BEEPING SIDE VENTS!!!!!!!! SB one button peak lapel with side vents. This seems to be very common in the sub $1000 range that I'm looking at. Is there a reason why these designers ruin a perfectly good tuxedo with side vents? Is it demand or is it somehow cheaper to make?

Because many people don't like non-vented jackets, which is traditional for a tuxedo, and side vents work better than single vents.
post #3 of 142
Thread Starter 
Any vents are counterintuitive to a tuxedo but I'm guessing a single vent is even less formal than side vents, right?
post #4 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnikies View Post

THEY HAVE MOTHER BEEPING SIDE VENTS!!!!!!!! SB one button peak lapel with side vents. This seems to be very common in the sub $1000 range that I'm looking at. Is there a reason why these designers ruin a perfectly good tuxedo with side vents? Is it demand or is it somehow cheaper to make?

Because they're formal wear, not sport wear. And hence either no vent (more traditional) or side vents.
post #5 of 142
Not hard to close them, you would never know they had been there. For your other question, no they are not cheaper to make, it is easier and less time consuming to make a non vented jacket.

Showing non vented jackets is less appealing to consumers and more risky for sellers and could result in a loss sale if the hips were tight and not enough outlet to alter.

I have had side vents on every tuxedo I've had.
post #6 of 142
Black tie is a living hell basically at this point in world affairs. I've given up and am going to go Mr. Ned.
post #7 of 142
Honestly the PRL one with the double vents and the grosgrain trim looks quite nice! Especially during their semi-annual sale when it's ~$900. I would personally prefer a shawl collar number with grosgrain and midnight blue mohair but that's tough to procure for cheap...
post #8 of 142

As mentioned by other, side vents are much better than single-venting. May not be 100% correct, but I wouldn't sweat it. Feels better when sitting down compared to non-venting, and the jacket won't wrinkle that badly. 

post #9 of 142
i like side vents for the comfort factor when sitting
post #10 of 142
I bought mine from Brooks Brothers per the other black tie thread with vox's advice and I had them sew up the vent. It was single though.

Maybe these designs are all for the "creative black tie" events.
post #11 of 142

As suggested, get them sewn shut if they bother you, problem solved smile.gif

post #12 of 142
Thread Starter 
You can really get tuxedo vents sewn shut without it looking bad?
post #13 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by shnikies View Post

You can really get tuxedo vents sewn shut without it looking bad?

Of course.

Funny how the single vent is so derided when both the morning coat and evening tailcoat, the most formal forms of male dress in usage today, both feature single vents. The morning coat was even originally intended as "sport wear".
post #14 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgt465 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnikies View Post


Funny how the single vent is so derided when both the morning coat and evening tailcoat, the most formal forms of male dress in usage today, both feature single vents. The morning coat was even originally intended as "sport wear".

Your point is irrelevant. Just look at the design of the garments you mention.
post #15 of 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despos View Post

Not hard to close them, you would never know they had been there. For your other question, no they are not cheaper to make, it is easier and less time consuming to make a non vented jacket.
Showing non vented jackets is less appealing to consumers and more risky for sellers and could result in a loss sale if the hips were tight and not enough outlet to alter.
I have had side vents on every tuxedo I've had.

I thought vents, particular side vents, were difficult to close wityhout making it obvious?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › The perfect tuxedo except for one thing...