Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCoatstagged by SYSTEM, 12/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:02 pm in Classic Menswear
- TABARRIFICIO VENETO AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 2/22/14 at 8:23am in Streetwear and Denim
- WESTAGE & CO. AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 2/9/14 at 9:43pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 4:11 pm in Classic Menswear
- ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ Last post on Today at 2:58 pm in Classic Menswear
What it Means to be Made in Italy
Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Pleasures and Perils of the Long CoatLast edited: 1/12/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Overcoat coherence - Page 2
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17 of 2912/1/12 at 11:15amAs we are on then topic of topcoats, and I don't want to start a new thread just for this, do you think it's best to get a navy or dark grey topcoat if I only wear suits that are navy, charcoal, or mid grey at the lightest?
Edit: I didn't mention a black topcoat, but I assume that's not in favor on SF.post #18 of 2912/1/12 at 12:25pmThread StarterQuote:post #19 of 2912/1/12 at 12:41pmpost #20 of 2912/1/12 at 1:19pmThread Starterpost #21 of 2912/1/12 at 2:20pmpost #22 of 2912/1/12 at 2:58pmQuote:
I think the brown flannels would not be good with the navy overcoat.post #23 of 2912/1/12 at 6:06pmpost #24 of 2912/1/12 at 6:18pmpost #25 of 2912/1/12 at 6:45pmpost #26 of 2912/1/12 at 6:59pmQuote:
I wouldn't think twice because it's no incoherent.post #27 of 2912/1/12 at 9:09pmpost #28 of 2912/2/12 at 9:54am
Black topcoats look smashing with black tie.
I don't wear that frequently enough to justify a separate black topcoat; a formal-ish dark navy coat works OK. But black is best with it, I feel.
A slim black, shorter topcoat can work nicely with some casual outfits too, I think. Moreso with some specific SW&D looks than the MC casual side of the equation, but still.
Overcoats come in a huge range of formality levels. The formality comes from both the material and the style of the coat, just as with jackets & suits. So it does make sense to pair them appropriately. However, whether it's worthwhile doing this depends on how many you want to have, which itself depends on frequently you wear them and how varied your underlying wardrobe is. For instance, if you're almost never in business suits, then you really only need a more casual overcoat. If you're sometimes in business suits but more often in odd jackets or casual suits, then you might get away with a single overcoat if it's in a formal style but a slightly less formal fabric. If you wear lots of different styles regularly, and have to wear an overcoat lots, then you'll need more than one.
FWIW, I tend to feel the cold, so regularly wear overcoats between about Oct/Nov and Feb/Mar, so have five: solid navy (SB, formal), solid mid-grey (DB, also quite formal), chocolate brown (more topcoat-weight, really), very dark brown plaid Chesterfield, and a really heavy & long brown DB wilder plaid for the coldest days. If I had to manage with just one, to transition across a range of outfits, then perhaps bizarrely, I would actually choose the very dark brown plaid Chesterfield. The plaid is fairly subtle, the black velvet collar adds some formality, and the overall cut is quite smart. It can just about work with business suits, and is obviously very wearable with odd jacket outfits. It can even work with more casual outfits because of the fabric. It's not ideal for all those individual purposes, but it does just about work in all of them I think. YMMV, but that would be my advice if you want just one overcoat: very dark brown, in a fabric with some subtle pattern, but in fairly smart/formal-ish style.post #29 of 2912/2/12 at 1:31pmThread Starter
Thanks, HF - I'm currently looking at two overcoats from EBay that are my size and located in the EU. Since I almost never wear a suit and I already have a more "formal" coat, I'm looking at more casual options. One of them is a brownish grey herringbone, double breasted, with wide winged lapels, just a little over the knee length. The other one is a grey, bold glen check, single-breasted, belted and with raglan shoulders, with a collar and lapels that look like the overcoat I originally posted; and knee-length. Both seem quite casual, specially the one with raglan shoulders.
Ideally, I'd want a polo coat, which seems to be in the middle of the formality scale according to what I've researched; also I think they look great. But I couldn't find any for a decent price that were my size and located in the EU... I've seen some brand new ones at brick and mortar stores, but I can't pay for retail.
My usual go-to brand sells wool + cashmere overcoats for €260 retail - I might be able to afford one of these instead. I still haven't seen what they're carrying this season, but they usually have a decent brownish grey herringbone Chesterfield coat available. That's a formal style in a not-so-formal fabric, how does it sound for my usual odd jacket + tie?
Edited by RDiaz - 12/2/12 at 1:47pm
- Overcoat coherence
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Current State of Americana
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 15 seconds ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 18 seconds ago
- › Motorcycles 2 minutes ago
- › A Fine Pair Of Shoes: Official Affiliate thread 7 minutes ago
- › Show us how you roll in Engineered Garments 8 minutes ago
- › PEIR WU RIBBED KNIT MID SLEEVE SHIRT 9 minutes ago
- › Noodles' Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) 10 minutes ago
- › St. Crispin's Appreciation Thread 11 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 12 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 13 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 3: The StyFoJapan Meetup!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 2: Quick Photo Dump!
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 1: It Begins! Ring Jacket,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 5: We Dye Stuff Blue
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 6: Junky Special,...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 7: This Is The End
- › The #StyFoJapan EDC
- › The Styleforum x Huckberry Father's Day...
- › Fok's Gift Guide for Dads Who Refuse to...