Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCoatstagged by SYSTEM, 12/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:48 pm in Classic Menswear
- TABARRIFICIO VENETO AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 2/22/14 at 8:23am in Streetwear and Denim
- WESTAGE & CO. AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 2/9/14 at 9:43pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 4:38 am in Classic Menswear
- ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ Last post on Today at 6:49 pm in Classic Menswear
What it Means to be Made in Italy
Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- The Pleasures and Perils of the Long CoatLast edited: 1/12/15
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Overcoat coherence - Page 2
Styleforum Top Pickspost #17 of 2912/1/12 at 11:15amAs we are on then topic of topcoats, and I don't want to start a new thread just for this, do you think it's best to get a navy or dark grey topcoat if I only wear suits that are navy, charcoal, or mid grey at the lightest?
Edit: I didn't mention a black topcoat, but I assume that's not in favor on SF.post #18 of 2912/1/12 at 12:25pmThread StarterQuote:post #19 of 2912/1/12 at 12:41pmpost #20 of 2912/1/12 at 1:19pmThread Starterpost #21 of 2912/1/12 at 2:20pmpost #22 of 2912/1/12 at 2:58pmQuote:
I think the brown flannels would not be good with the navy overcoat.post #23 of 2912/1/12 at 6:06pmpost #24 of 2912/1/12 at 6:18pmpost #25 of 2912/1/12 at 6:45pmpost #26 of 2912/1/12 at 6:59pmQuote:
I wouldn't think twice because it's no incoherent.post #27 of 2912/1/12 at 9:09pmpost #28 of 2912/2/12 at 9:54am
Black topcoats look smashing with black tie.
I don't wear that frequently enough to justify a separate black topcoat; a formal-ish dark navy coat works OK. But black is best with it, I feel.
A slim black, shorter topcoat can work nicely with some casual outfits too, I think. Moreso with some specific SW&D looks than the MC casual side of the equation, but still.
Overcoats come in a huge range of formality levels. The formality comes from both the material and the style of the coat, just as with jackets & suits. So it does make sense to pair them appropriately. However, whether it's worthwhile doing this depends on how many you want to have, which itself depends on frequently you wear them and how varied your underlying wardrobe is. For instance, if you're almost never in business suits, then you really only need a more casual overcoat. If you're sometimes in business suits but more often in odd jackets or casual suits, then you might get away with a single overcoat if it's in a formal style but a slightly less formal fabric. If you wear lots of different styles regularly, and have to wear an overcoat lots, then you'll need more than one.
FWIW, I tend to feel the cold, so regularly wear overcoats between about Oct/Nov and Feb/Mar, so have five: solid navy (SB, formal), solid mid-grey (DB, also quite formal), chocolate brown (more topcoat-weight, really), very dark brown plaid Chesterfield, and a really heavy & long brown DB wilder plaid for the coldest days. If I had to manage with just one, to transition across a range of outfits, then perhaps bizarrely, I would actually choose the very dark brown plaid Chesterfield. The plaid is fairly subtle, the black velvet collar adds some formality, and the overall cut is quite smart. It can just about work with business suits, and is obviously very wearable with odd jacket outfits. It can even work with more casual outfits because of the fabric. It's not ideal for all those individual purposes, but it does just about work in all of them I think. YMMV, but that would be my advice if you want just one overcoat: very dark brown, in a fabric with some subtle pattern, but in fairly smart/formal-ish style.post #29 of 2912/2/12 at 1:31pmThread Starter
Thanks, HF - I'm currently looking at two overcoats from EBay that are my size and located in the EU. Since I almost never wear a suit and I already have a more "formal" coat, I'm looking at more casual options. One of them is a brownish grey herringbone, double breasted, with wide winged lapels, just a little over the knee length. The other one is a grey, bold glen check, single-breasted, belted and with raglan shoulders, with a collar and lapels that look like the overcoat I originally posted; and knee-length. Both seem quite casual, specially the one with raglan shoulders.
Ideally, I'd want a polo coat, which seems to be in the middle of the formality scale according to what I've researched; also I think they look great. But I couldn't find any for a decent price that were my size and located in the EU... I've seen some brand new ones at brick and mortar stores, but I can't pay for retail.
My usual go-to brand sells wool + cashmere overcoats for €260 retail - I might be able to afford one of these instead. I still haven't seen what they're carrying this season, but they usually have a decent brownish grey herringbone Chesterfield coat available. That's a formal style in a not-so-formal fabric, how does it sound for my usual odd jacket + tie?
Edited by RDiaz - 12/2/12 at 1:47pm
- Overcoat coherence
Styleforum Top Picks
- The Current State of Americana
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Porn Thread 1 minute ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 4 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › John Elliott + Co - official affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD (Guidi, CCP,... 16 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 21 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs. Goat Official Affiliate Thread - New April 16, 2015 30 minutes ago
- › Edward Green Appreciation: Pictures, Info, and Where to Buy 33 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 33 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 36 minutes ago
- › Human Scales Braided Dark Brown Belt by Mrvaerk
- › Human Scales Carlos Red Stripe Sweater by Mrvaerk
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Announcing the winner of the Kent Wang...
- › Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
- › Mohair: A Little-Known Hot-Weather Cloth
- › The Myth of the Nice Guy: Baseball’s...
- › Three Gin Cocktails for Summertime
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015