Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryCoatstagged by SYSTEM, 12/5/12
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:04 am in Classic Menswear
- TABARRIFICIO VENETO AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 2/22/14 at 8:23am in Streetwear and Denim
- WESTAGE & CO. AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 2/9/14 at 9:43pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on 7/21/16 at 7:11am in Classic Menswear
- ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ Last post on Today at 9:59 am in Classic Menswear
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- What it Means to be Made in ItalyLast edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Overcoat coherence - Page 2post #17 of 2912/1/12 at 11:15amAs we are on then topic of topcoats, and I don't want to start a new thread just for this, do you think it's best to get a navy or dark grey topcoat if I only wear suits that are navy, charcoal, or mid grey at the lightest?
Edit: I didn't mention a black topcoat, but I assume that's not in favor on SF.post #18 of 2912/1/12 at 12:25pmThread StarterQuote:post #19 of 2912/1/12 at 12:41pmpost #20 of 2912/1/12 at 1:19pmThread Starterpost #21 of 2912/1/12 at 2:20pmpost #22 of 2912/1/12 at 2:58pmQuote:
I think the brown flannels would not be good with the navy overcoat.post #23 of 2912/1/12 at 6:06pmpost #24 of 2912/1/12 at 6:18pmpost #25 of 2912/1/12 at 6:45pmpost #26 of 2912/1/12 at 6:59pmQuote:
I wouldn't think twice because it's no incoherent.post #27 of 2912/1/12 at 9:09pmpost #28 of 2912/2/12 at 9:54am
Black topcoats look smashing with black tie.
I don't wear that frequently enough to justify a separate black topcoat; a formal-ish dark navy coat works OK. But black is best with it, I feel.
A slim black, shorter topcoat can work nicely with some casual outfits too, I think. Moreso with some specific SW&D looks than the MC casual side of the equation, but still.
Overcoats come in a huge range of formality levels. The formality comes from both the material and the style of the coat, just as with jackets & suits. So it does make sense to pair them appropriately. However, whether it's worthwhile doing this depends on how many you want to have, which itself depends on frequently you wear them and how varied your underlying wardrobe is. For instance, if you're almost never in business suits, then you really only need a more casual overcoat. If you're sometimes in business suits but more often in odd jackets or casual suits, then you might get away with a single overcoat if it's in a formal style but a slightly less formal fabric. If you wear lots of different styles regularly, and have to wear an overcoat lots, then you'll need more than one.
FWIW, I tend to feel the cold, so regularly wear overcoats between about Oct/Nov and Feb/Mar, so have five: solid navy (SB, formal), solid mid-grey (DB, also quite formal), chocolate brown (more topcoat-weight, really), very dark brown plaid Chesterfield, and a really heavy & long brown DB wilder plaid for the coldest days. If I had to manage with just one, to transition across a range of outfits, then perhaps bizarrely, I would actually choose the very dark brown plaid Chesterfield. The plaid is fairly subtle, the black velvet collar adds some formality, and the overall cut is quite smart. It can just about work with business suits, and is obviously very wearable with odd jacket outfits. It can even work with more casual outfits because of the fabric. It's not ideal for all those individual purposes, but it does just about work in all of them I think. YMMV, but that would be my advice if you want just one overcoat: very dark brown, in a fabric with some subtle pattern, but in fairly smart/formal-ish style.post #29 of 2912/2/12 at 1:31pmThread Starter
Thanks, HF - I'm currently looking at two overcoats from EBay that are my size and located in the EU. Since I almost never wear a suit and I already have a more "formal" coat, I'm looking at more casual options. One of them is a brownish grey herringbone, double breasted, with wide winged lapels, just a little over the knee length. The other one is a grey, bold glen check, single-breasted, belted and with raglan shoulders, with a collar and lapels that look like the overcoat I originally posted; and knee-length. Both seem quite casual, specially the one with raglan shoulders.
Ideally, I'd want a polo coat, which seems to be in the middle of the formality scale according to what I've researched; also I think they look great. But I couldn't find any for a decent price that were my size and located in the EU... I've seen some brand new ones at brick and mortar stores, but I can't pay for retail.
My usual go-to brand sells wool + cashmere overcoats for €260 retail - I might be able to afford one of these instead. I still haven't seen what they're carrying this season, but they usually have a decent brownish grey herringbone Chesterfield coat available. That's a formal style in a not-so-formal fabric, how does it sound for my usual odd jacket + tie?
Edited by RDiaz - 12/2/12 at 1:47pm
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Outerwear
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 4 minutes ago
- › WTF over-zealous police? 5 minutes ago
- › A.P.C. The official thread for APC denim sizing and other questions. 8 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 8 minutes ago
- › How long should raw denim last? 10 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 11 minutes ago
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 12 minutes ago
- › MATTHEW MILLER Navy Elasticated Trousers 28W 14 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 14 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 16 minutes ago
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding