or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › How often do you wash your hair?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How often do you wash your hair? - Page 7

post #91 of 109
It falls out faster if you use shitty products.
post #92 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post
It falls out faster if you use shitty products.

according to whom? why?
post #93 of 109
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebum#Sebum
Quote:
Sebaceous glands secrete the oily, waxy substance called sebum (Latin, meaning fat or tallow) that is made of fat (lipids), wax, and the debris of dead fat-producing cells. ... Sebum acts to protect and waterproof hair and skin,[6] and keeps them from becoming dry, brittle and cracked by dehydration. It can also inhibit the growth of some microorganisms (such as some bacteria) on the skin.
Milder soaps will not remove as much sebum from your hair, where a harsh and powerful soap that is designed for cutting grease and tough dirt will. If you go to the wikipedia article, it will be immediately obvious that sebum is a good thing to have on your hair, but that it is also a good idea to get rid of it periodically. Shampoos and conditioners contain mild soaps and surfactants and will remove some oils from your hair, but a harsh soap that can, for example, remove grease from your hands will obviously remove not just the bad, but also the good from your hair. Conditioner is important after shampooing because it gives you back some oils that are similar to sebum. I haven't seen your hair up close, but I've seen people with very obviously damaged hair before. I'd be willing to bet your hair will fall out faster if you use shitty products, although I didn't look hard enough to find any studies about that. But it is obvious that your hair will not be as healthy if you oversoap it as treating it well.
post #94 of 109
At least once a day and up to 3 times a day is not uncommon. I hate being next to anyone who's hair smells bad. Well I have extremely thick hair so it is more maintenance.
post #95 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
according to whom? why?

Because crappy products are made with crappy ingredients.

Great SN, someone turned me onto Hendrix Gin last week.
post #96 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post
Because crappy products are made with crappy ingredients.

Great SN, someone turned me onto Hendrix Gin last week.

Almost 100% sure he's talking about the guitarist.
post #97 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listi View Post
Almost 100% sure he's talking about the guitarist.

Good point, since its Hendricks. I enjoy it more then hearing all along the watchtower one more time.
post #98 of 109
Rinse thoroughly everyday, condition one a week, shampoo once a month.
post #99 of 109
I almost wish I never came in this thread, as I've seen people who wash it multiple times daily to once/month.

My dilemma is simple: If my hair is not washed daily, it looks dirty and greasy. In fact, if I don't wash my hair (with shampoo) at the end of the day, my face is extra greasy when I wakeup from it rubbing against the pillow.
post #100 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listi View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebum#Sebum



Milder soaps will not remove as much sebum from your hair, where a harsh and powerful soap that is designed for cutting grease and tough dirt will. If you go to the wikipedia article, it will be immediately obvious that sebum is a good thing to have on your hair, but that it is also a good idea to get rid of it periodically. Shampoos and conditioners contain mild soaps and surfactants and will remove some oils from your hair, but a harsh soap that can, for example, remove grease from your hands will obviously remove not just the bad, but also the good from your hair.

Conditioner is important after shampooing because it gives you back some oils that are similar to sebum. I haven't seen your hair up close, but I've seen people with very obviously damaged hair before. I'd be willing to bet your hair will fall out faster if you use shitty products, although I didn't look hard enough to find any studies about that. But it is obvious that your hair will not be as healthy if you oversoap it as treating it well.

Bar soap is not very strong. Try washing your hands with bar soap after working on a car and you'll see what i mean.

Sebaceous glands are located all over your body, not just on hair.

The proteins and vitamins in shampoo are pretty much useless. They don't penetrate into the hair or past the layers of dead cells on your scalp. Even if they did somehow penetrate into hair, you have to remember that hair is dead, so there is no way that they could be useful.

Hair is made beneath the dead layers of skin. I've never heard of a product proven to increase the health of the hair.

Having said that, from time to time i do enjoy the luxury of nice shampoo and conditioner, if only for the smell, and the cosmetic feel that the conditioner leaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post
Because crappy products are made with crappy ingredients.

Great SN, someone turned me onto Hendrix Gin last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listi View Post
Almost 100% sure he's talking about the guitarist.

Yeah, talking about the guitarist. I have been meaning to try that gin though. i've heard it's pretty good.
post #101 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
Bar soap is not very strong. Try washing your hands with bar soap after working on a car and you'll see what i mean.

Sebaceous glands are located all over your body, not just on hair.

The proteins and vitamins in shampoo are pretty much useless. They don't penetrate into the hair or past the layers of dead cells on your scalp. Even if they did somehow penetrate into hair, you have to remember that hair is dead, so there is no way that they could be useful.

Hair is made beneath the dead layers of skin. I've never heard of a product proven to increase the health of the hair.

Having said that, from time to time i do enjoy the luxury of nice shampoo and conditioner, if only for the smell, and the cosmetic feel that the conditioner leaves.

You've got some problems with your argument.

But it seems like you've been doing research, and I have my own research to do (that actually matters) so I'll just say 1 word and you can get back to me with a rebuttal if you choose:

surfactants
post #102 of 109
I wash it once a day...I wish i could do it less but i cant.
post #103 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listi View Post
surfactants

...soap and shampoo are both surfactants.
post #104 of 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listi View Post
You've got some problems with your argument.

But it seems like you've been doing research, and I have my own research to do (that actually matters) so I'll just say 1 word and you can get back to me with a rebuttal if you choose:

surfactants

haven't really been doing any research. know it from basic chemistry and biology.

but yeah, i'm pretty sure they are both surfactants.
post #105 of 109
Every other day, usually.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › How often do you wash your hair?