or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mercedes - Page 3

post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

That sounds about right. I've not had to replace brakes on an MB yet (thank god) but my Rover was 2k.

Ouch.
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

Good googly moogly. Do they replace the rotors, calipers, and master cylinder for that?
Actually, for a time my wife was hell bent on a Rover, and I'm usually pretty accommodating but when I heard their V8 engines tend to have problems around 70k miles, I put the brakes on that.

That's exactly what my friend that is an MB mechanic told me they do.

As to Rover...I would never own one, just lease. Although we went and looked at the Evoque for Mrs. Piob yesterday and I had to check out the new LR4 and the new big Rangie. The LR4 is using a the same direct injection V8 the Jag XF uses. The Evoque only comes with a four cylinder turbo. We didn't have time to drive but I'll be highway bound with the Evoque before I'd let her get one. It's got a great cockpit and sort of aggressive, sort of fugly styling. Lease pricing is nice though.
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

That's exactly what my friend that is an MB mechanic told me they do.
As to Rover...I would never own one, just lease. Although we went and looked at the Evoque for Mrs. Piob yesterday and I had to check out the new LR4 and the new big Rangie. The LR4 is using a the same direct injection V8 the Jag XF uses. The Evoque only comes with a four cylinder turbo. We didn't have time to drive but I'll be highway bound with the Evoque before I'd let her get one. It's got a great cockpit and sort of aggressive, sort of fugly styling. Lease pricing is nice though.

Now that I think a bit more about it, it makes a bit more sense - if you tend to drive your car aggressively. I could see wanting to R&R the calipers, etc. every time. Performance and all that.

We're on opposite ends of the spectrum re: dealerships. I hate going to them. I spent the first three years of my post-college life in them and had my fill. Though it did come in handy a few times re: negotiations and getting my paperwork pushed through.

Also, apropos to the thread, the E320 rear brake pads (circa '99) are astonishingly small, and can be removed without taking off the caliper (and not disrupting the parking brake). Just tap out two pins at the top of the caliper and pull the pads up. MB engineering is so awesome.

Also the climate control center (and radio) are designed to be removed with a slender plastic rod. Like the stir sticks you might get at Starbucks. Again, awesome engineering.
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Considering you have other options sitting in your garage, I'd think twice. While I'd also prefer to take the car thats more fun to drive, I wouldnt, and you wont feel that way anymore in a ditch.
You make a good point but the MB with winter tires actually is my best option for this trip. My AWD car is a Porsche 911, and way too small for two adults, a dog, and lots of luggage. The SUV doesn't have nearly as many of the safety features as the MB such as ESP (or whatever they call the traction control). My previous car, a MB V12, got me through the NYC blizzard a couple of years ago without any problems whatsoever, not to mention many midwest winters.

Heading out tomorrow. Can't wait. smile.gif
post #35 of 49
safe travels, JJ
post #36 of 49
Thanks, Thomas. Merry Christmas!
post #37 of 49
Have fun J2 and keep your britches between the ditches.
post #38 of 49
Piob, it's about time you step up to the plate and get yourself a nice twin turbo V12.. what's taking you so long?
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba View Post

Four brakes for $1500?? My race car didn't cost that much to repair the brakes. My fiance drives a mercedes, I drive an Acura. I'm routinely shocked at how often her car costs an obnoxious amount of money for relatively small fixes. Both low mileage cars.

Brakes and rotors have to be replaced at the same time. They wear together, which is frustrating but the way they are designed. Its $280 a wheel just in parts.

It adds up, maintenance on any of the German big 3 + Porsche is no joke. My oil change is $150. Tires are easily $300+ a piece. I need to use premium fuel.

Any minor part replacement is a fortune. For example, see that little tiny rectangular piece that would sit right between your shoulders if you were sitting in the seat? Its plastic, about 1" x 4", cost maybe 6 cents to make... $47 I paid!

post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post

You make a good point but the MB with winter tires actually is my best option for this trip. My AWD car is a Porsche 911, and way too small for two adults, a dog, and lots of luggage. The SUV doesn't have nearly as many of the safety features as the MB such as ESP (or whatever they call the traction control). My previous car, a MB V12, got me through the NYC blizzard a couple of years ago without any problems whatsoever, not to mention many midwest winters.
Heading out tomorrow. Can't wait. smile.gif

Ya, I didn't realize they were lower tech options/sports car AWD. You've got some pretty nice rides! I've actually been shopping for a 2nd hand SUV. I go to antiques auctions pretty regularly and am tired of having to borrow or pay delivery. Been looking at a Tahoe, Denali, of the like. I'd agree my car is probably better in the snow than the options I am weighing in SUVs.

Thinking about it, I saw a badass G500 earlier today. Always loved that car. Reminded me of this Merc concept:

http://wot.motortrend.com/mercedes-unveils-ener-g-force-concept-2014-sls-amg-black-series-2012-la-296415.html#axzz2FuuS02Mv


Quote:
Setup separates the hydrogen from water stored in tanks on the roof, and converts it into electricity for the four individual in-wheel motors. The hydrogen fuel can be stored in the vehicle’s modular side skirts, which can be swapped for battery packs. Mercedes says the Ener-G-Force concept’s hydrogen system nets a 500-mile range.
...
The Ener-G-Force concept also boasts (hypothetical) off-road capability. A roof-mounted topographical scanner called “Terra-Scan” maps the terrain and automatically adjusts the vehicle’s damping and spring rates for optimal performance.
post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post

Brakes and rotors have to be replaced at the same time. They wear together, which is frustrating but the way they are designed. Its $280 a wheel just in parts.
It adds up, maintenance on any of the German big 3 + Porsche is no joke. My oil change is $150. Tires are easily $300+ a piece. I need to use premium fuel.
Any minor part replacement is a fortune. For example, see that little tiny rectangular piece that would sit right between your shoulders if you were sitting in the seat? Its plastic, about 1" x 4", cost maybe 6 cents to make... $47 I paid!

I had a response on the rotor comment (is it just me or is it hard to type 'rotor'?) but some quick google-fu convinced me otherwise. But, seriously, why is MB/BMW so keen to put single-use rotors on their cars? They are still made of steel, right? Do they just like soaking their customers?

The oil changes, yeah - but you're talking a considerably longer interval between changes, up to 15,000 miles depending on your driving conditions.

And if you're not scared to turn wrenches, you can get OEM parts from peachparts, along with a lot of technical advice, for reasonable amounts. Benzworld.org has a fantastic DIY section that's far and away better than anything I've ever seen. They've gotten me through a fair number of service needs, and helped me to outsource one process that had me worried.

Now the factory tools (HAZET), those are expensive!
post #42 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

I had a response on the rotor comment (is it just me or is it hard to type 'rotor'?) but some quick google-fu convinced me otherwise. But, seriously, why is MB/BMW so keen to put single-use rotors on their cars? They are still made of steel, right? Do they just like soaking their customers?

Same question, its fucking annoying. My mechanic says its braking performance. I dont know about MB/BMW, I drive an Audi and this is standard procedure. They are made of steel but its a slightly softer compound of metal. If you try and go 2 sets of pads you risk a broken rotor, failed inspection, and pads wear faster since there is a wear pattern in the rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

The oil changes, yeah - but you're talking a considerably longer interval between changes, up to 15,000 miles depending on your driving conditions.

Not for me. I do mine every 7k. Mechanic prefers 5k, manual says 8k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

And if you're not scared to turn wrenches, you can get OEM parts from peachparts, along with a lot of technical advice, for reasonable amounts. Benzworld.org has a fantastic DIY section that's far and away better than anything I've ever seen. They've gotten me through a fair number of service needs, and helped me to outsource one process that had me worried.
Now the factory tools (HAZET), those are expensive!

Problem is the computer. You have to do everything in conjunction with operations on the cars computer. For example, for my car, you cant just crimp the caliper pistons, its an operation on the computer, etc. Not that simple. Its not worth the effort for me.
post #43 of 49
The rotors are steel, not cast iron?
post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildeMan View Post

Best value automobiles available, IMO.

I was picking up my niece and nephew from school a month ago, and they asked me to wait so that their friends could see them getting into my Mercedes. Happy to oblige, but my new C-Class cost less than their mother's Honda Odyssey...

 

fistbump.gif

 

My last car was a 06 C-Class.  I remember getting into a car discussion at the local car wash with this bright young lawyer and she insisted that I had spent about 50k for it.  Who was I to disagree? I did make sure to get her telephone number so that we could continue the discussion over drinks  icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by idfnl View Post


Ya, I didn't realize they were lower tech options/sports car AWD. You've got some pretty nice rides! I've actually been shopping for a 2nd hand SUV. I go to antiques auctions pretty regularly and am tired of having to borrow or pay delivery. Been looking at a Tahoe, Denali, of the like. I'd agree my car is probably better in the snow than the options I am weighing in SUVs.

Thinking about it, I saw a badass G500 earlier today. Always loved that car. Reminded me of this Merc concept:

http://wot.motortrend.com/mercedes-unveils-ener-g-force-concept-2014-sls-amg-black-series-2012-la-296415.html#axzz2FuuS02Mv


RARE!!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home