I'm new to SF but have been lurking around. I understand $100 for a shoe by SF standards is low, but it's what I got to work with. What brand would you recommend at that price point? I'm looking for a light brown derby.
Related Forum Threads
- 1 pair left! Allen Edmonds Split Toe Brown Leather Shoe - 9.5 - Moved to NR auction! Last post on 7/6/15 at 12:32pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- FS: Flat Dress Shoe Laces 28.5" L x .25" W (approx.) - Lightly Waxed Last post on 12/11/14 at 6:27pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Does this leather from Allen Edmonds look like its cracking? Last post on 11/9/14 at 6:42pm in Classic Menswear
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 8/18/16 at 7:15am in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- What tools do you need to get burnish your shoes like a real pro? ...Last edited: 3/22/16
- Using a suede protector spray on regular calfskin shoes (and why...Last edited: 2/9/16
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- What does it mean to Relast a shoe?Last edited: 2/8/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
$100 shoepost #1 of 1511/28/12 at 6:36amThread Starterpost #2 of 1511/28/12 at 6:44am
Light brown is tough with a cheaper shoe since it shows age more. I've always found J&M to be very comfortable (you can probably get them nwob on eBay for a little more than $100); they won't fall apart on you, but the leather ages terribly.
Welcome to Styleforum, and for future reference, quick questions like this can be posted here:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/79716/ask-a-question-get-an-answer-post-all-quick-questions-here/18705#post_5928439post #3 of 1511/28/12 at 6:46amThere's a general question and answer thread for this type of question.
A hundred bucks isn't much to work with. You can check ebay or call Allen Edmonds to see if they have any seconds, they sometimes get down to that price.
Honestly you're better off saving for another month to buy yourself a decent pair of at least AE.post #4 of 1511/28/12 at 6:50ampost #5 of 152/10/13 at 8:20ampost #6 of 152/10/13 at 8:23ampost #7 of 152/10/13 at 11:23ampost #8 of 152/17/13 at 12:48pm
Sadly, spending that little on shoes means you're gonna get something that you'll likely have to replace relatively quickly. Buying a quality, Goodyear welted shoe like Allen Edmonds will give you something that can easily be resoled, and can easily last your decades with a little care. I really think your best bet is emailing firstname.lastname@example.org asking for which factory seconds they have in your size(s), and then picking one that you like the look and price of. If the defect is too egregious, you can always exchange or return them.
However, if you really insist on getting something cheaper, you might want to look into some of the picks reviewed at dappered.com:post #9 of 152/17/13 at 2:27pmpost #10 of 152/17/13 at 2:57pmpost #11 of 152/17/13 at 3:01pmpost #12 of 152/17/13 at 5:17pmpost #13 of 158/2/13 at 2:15pmpost #14 of 158/2/13 at 11:00pmpost #15 of 158/3/13 at 1:20amI have some Asthon&Allen "less-than 100€" pairs of shoes made by reputated Spanish manufacturers and traded by "Estellés". Guess they can deliver outside of Spain. Nice choice for daily purposes, both in Goodyear and Kiowa manufacturing.
Edited by e8487 - 8/9/13 at 5:57am
- What tools do you need to get burnish your shoes like a real pro? ...
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 1 minute ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Advice on versatile boots that also look good 2 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 3 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 5 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 7 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 8 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 9 minutes ago
- › things that are making you happy 9 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding