I'm new to SF but have been lurking around. I understand $100 for a shoe by SF standards is low, but it's what I got to work with. What brand would you recommend at that price point? I'm looking for a light brown derby.
Related Forum Threads
- FS: Flat Dress Shoe Laces 28.5" L x .25" W (approx.) - Lightly Waxed Last post on 12/11/14 at 6:27pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Does this leather from Allen Edmonds look like its cracking? Last post on 11/9/14 at 6:42pm in Classic Menswear
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on Today at 4:59 am in Classic Menswear
- 4 PAIRS OF EXOTIC SKIN SHOES - ALLEN EDMONDS & MEZLAN Last post on 1/29/14 at 1:13pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blue Owl
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Styleforum Top Picks
Light brown is tough with a cheaper shoe since it shows age more. I've always found J&M to be very comfortable (you can probably get them nwob on eBay for a little more than $100); they won't fall apart on you, but the leather ages terribly.
Welcome to Styleforum, and for future reference, quick questions like this can be posted here:
A hundred bucks isn't much to work with. You can check ebay or call Allen Edmonds to see if they have any seconds, they sometimes get down to that price.
Honestly you're better off saving for another month to buy yourself a decent pair of at least AE.
Sadly, spending that little on shoes means you're gonna get something that you'll likely have to replace relatively quickly. Buying a quality, Goodyear welted shoe like Allen Edmonds will give you something that can easily be resoled, and can easily last your decades with a little care. I really think your best bet is emailing firstname.lastname@example.org asking for which factory seconds they have in your size(s), and then picking one that you like the look and price of. If the defect is too egregious, you can always exchange or return them.
However, if you really insist on getting something cheaper, you might want to look into some of the picks reviewed at dappered.com:
Edited by e8487 - 8/9/13 at 5:57am
- $100 shoe
Styleforum Top Picks
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 6 seconds ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, EG, GG, Bonafe, Saint Crispin's -... 12 seconds ago
- › Custom Suiting Toronto 1 minute ago
- › Gyakusou Leaf XL jacket [shipped anywhere] 4 minutes ago
- › NEW - Custom Alden Shell Boots - 10 / 10 E (Wide) - Grant Last -... 6 minutes ago
- › Things that are pissing you off. 8 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 8 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 9 minutes ago
- › SW&D CHALLENGE - DENIM - 24 May 2015 11 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 12 minutes ago
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Who Won Styleforum's First Ever Gallery...
- › Mad Men Is Totally Wrong About Suits and I...
- › The Styleforum Brief: May 2015
- › How to Wear a Blazer and Jeans this Spring...
- › 6 Hats for Spring and Summer
- › Bourbon Season: Three Cocktails For Spring
- › The Styleforum Brief April 2015
- › Styleforum's First Ever Gallery Contest!...
- › Small on Space, Big on Heart: Four of...
- › How to Buy Direct from Japan