I'm new to SF but have been lurking around. I understand $100 for a shoe by SF standards is low, but it's what I got to work with. What brand would you recommend at that price point? I'm looking for a light brown derby.
Related Forum Threads
- 4 PAIRS OF EXOTIC SKIN SHOES - ALLEN EDMONDS & MEZLAN Last post on 1/29/14 at 1:13pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Allen Edmonds Berkley 9D PTB (Sleeker than Leeds) Last post on 7/1/13 at 1:49pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Barely worn AE Sanfords Rare color, small size! 7D Last post on 6/28/13 at 2:58pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- *** FINAL PRICE DROP *** ALLEN EDMONDS CAMBRIDGE SHELL CORDOVAN. EXCELLENT CONDITION. SIZE 9 Last post on 4/16/13 at 11:59am in Marketplace
- Shopping in Orange Co. CA. Last post on 1/19/13 at 9:48am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- Awl & Sundry
- The Armoury
- Bespoke England
- Blacksmith Labs
- Blue Owl
- Carson Street Clothiers
- Conrad Wu
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Elite Suits
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Foster & Son
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gentry NYC
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- Gramercy York
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Modern Tailor
- Need Supply Co.
- Neo Nouveau
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oscar Hunt
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Roden Gray
- Sebastian Ward
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Vastrm Fashion
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Styleforum Top Picks
Light brown is tough with a cheaper shoe since it shows age more. I've always found J&M to be very comfortable (you can probably get them nwob on eBay for a little more than $100); they won't fall apart on you, but the leather ages terribly.
Welcome to Styleforum, and for future reference, quick questions like this can be posted here:
A hundred bucks isn't much to work with. You can check ebay or call Allen Edmonds to see if they have any seconds, they sometimes get down to that price.
Honestly you're better off saving for another month to buy yourself a decent pair of at least AE.
Sadly, spending that little on shoes means you're gonna get something that you'll likely have to replace relatively quickly. Buying a quality, Goodyear welted shoe like Allen Edmonds will give you something that can easily be resoled, and can easily last your decades with a little care. I really think your best bet is emailing firstname.lastname@example.org asking for which factory seconds they have in your size(s), and then picking one that you like the look and price of. If the defect is too egregious, you can always exchange or return them.
However, if you really insist on getting something cheaper, you might want to look into some of the picks reviewed at dappered.com:
Edited by e8487 - 8/9/13 at 5:57am
- $100 shoe
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Friday Challenge 19th September 2014: Brown tie without a staple... 1 minute ago
- › The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! 1 minute ago
- › The new official TOJ thread, 2011 1 minute ago
- › RL C&J CORDOVAN SHOES JUNE '14 EDITION and other rlpl shoe models... 2 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 3 minutes ago
- › Buying Black Double-Monks 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Carson Street Clothiers - Official Affiliate Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Random Food Questions Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Timberland Men's Authentics 3-Eye Classic Lug Boat Shoe by Basil Ecurie
- › Aero Leather Cafe' Racer by CafeRacer99
- › Alden Ravello Shell Long Wing Blucher by ppith
- › Sterlingwear Navigator Peacoat by ppith
- › Campbell Cooper Waxed Cotton Motorcycle Jacket by njhunt
- › J. Crew Rugged Classic Boots by Red Wing by _cameosis_
- › Best Website For The Movies?
- › The Tyre-Kicker's Diary: Watch Boutiques...
- › Choosing Men's Designer Suits
- › San Francisco Shopping Map
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Questionnaire and...
- › Styleforum Product Reviewer Terms of...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Start your...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Extras)
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Jeans &...
- › Styleforum's Winter Getaway (Cardigans)