I'm new to SF but have been lurking around. I understand $100 for a shoe by SF standards is low, but it's what I got to work with. What brand would you recommend at that price point? I'm looking for a light brown derby.
Related Forum Threads
- 1 pair left! Allen Edmonds Split Toe Brown Leather Shoe - 9.5 Last post on 7/6/15 at 12:32pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- FS: Flat Dress Shoe Laces 28.5" L x .25" W (approx.) - Lightly Waxed Last post on 12/11/14 at 6:27pm in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- Does this leather from Allen Edmonds look like its cracking? Last post on 11/9/14 at 6:42pm in Classic Menswear
- $650 ALLEN EDMONDS Horween Shell Cordovan 10 D Bradley Goodyear Welted Shoes Last post on 9/30/14 at 6:41am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Allen Edmonds MTO Thread Last post on 7/27/15 at 9:37am in Classic Menswear
- Andrew Lock
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- David Reeves Bespoke
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Franco Ercole Bespoke
- Geil Mode
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- Gordon Yao, Hong Kong
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Carter Neckwear
- Howard Yount
- John Elliott + Co
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Oscar Hunt
- Paul Evans
- Percy Ivor
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Temple of jawnz
- Thurston Bros.
- Uncle Otis
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Wolf vs. Goat
- Wrong Weather
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Zampa Di Gallina
Styleforum Top Picks
Light brown is tough with a cheaper shoe since it shows age more. I've always found J&M to be very comfortable (you can probably get them nwob on eBay for a little more than $100); they won't fall apart on you, but the leather ages terribly.
Welcome to Styleforum, and for future reference, quick questions like this can be posted here:
A hundred bucks isn't much to work with. You can check ebay or call Allen Edmonds to see if they have any seconds, they sometimes get down to that price.
Honestly you're better off saving for another month to buy yourself a decent pair of at least AE.
Sadly, spending that little on shoes means you're gonna get something that you'll likely have to replace relatively quickly. Buying a quality, Goodyear welted shoe like Allen Edmonds will give you something that can easily be resoled, and can easily last your decades with a little care. I really think your best bet is emailing firstname.lastname@example.org asking for which factory seconds they have in your size(s), and then picking one that you like the look and price of. If the defect is too egregious, you can always exchange or return them.
However, if you really insist on getting something cheaper, you might want to look into some of the picks reviewed at dappered.com:
Edited by e8487 - 8/9/13 at 5:57am
- $100 shoe
Styleforum Top Picks
- › Classic Menswear Lounge 14 seconds ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 47 seconds ago
- › 2015 MLB Season Thread 2 minutes ago
- › THE OFFICIAL "streetwear" BALLER BOOT/SHOE THREAD ***700usd Min*** 4 minutes ago
- › Alden Shell Cordovan captoe boots 8.5D Tassels HK special edition 9 minutes ago
- › LuxeSwap - Official Affiliate Thread 12 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 13 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 18 minutes ago
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 21 minutes ago
- › FRIDAY CHALLENGE (JULY 31): FINE ART FRIDAY 26 minutes ago
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Human Scales Denny Suede Double Monkstraps by Mrvaerk
- › Brathwait - The classic slim wrist watch by Mrvaerk
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Tom Ford FT5237 Eyeglasses Color 098 by Mrvaerk
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › Quoddy True Penny Loafer by ppith
- › Styleforum Visits Blue Blue Japan
- › Styleforum Eats its Way Through Tokyo
- › David Looks Back at Pitti Uomo 88
- › Streetstyle: The Best Pictures From Pitti...
- › The Styleforum Brief: July, 2015
- › Carmina Shoes Presents: Five Shoes for Five...
- › Help! I need a suit for a wedding!
- › What I learned from my own wedding day, and...
- › Look nice, Dammit: Why you should care - and...
- › Tokyo Diaries, Day 4: Epic Tokyo Photo Dump -...