or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Biggest bs answer from a online retailer (Everlane)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Biggest bs answer from a online retailer (Everlane)

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
Got this back from everlane explaining why they cannot ship to Canada.

How lame can a retailer get?

Answer: hopefully not as lame as Everlane.

Got this back from customer service;


"Thanks for your note and interest in Everlane. We would love to start shipping to our northern neighbors right away; unfortunately, it's not as simple as it sounds (as we've learned). To ship internationally, traditional retailers typically work through third party logistics providers who deal with customs and paperwork. The retailer just sets up the backend APIs and works with their vendors around country-specific merchandising and inventory. Challenging but doable.

For us, it's even more complicated. Canada also demands label changes (e.g., bilingual and different content) that require us to work with our factories to change our merchandise. As you can imagine, that requires a longer lead time and more coordination, which we're working on.

We're sorry for the inconvenience, but we are aiming to be able to ship outside the U.S. within the next six months to a few countries and then to other destinations later in 2013. "


They site a weak shipping excuse, a yahoo store can ship to Canada.
How they can ship free to guam, europe and alaska (which is thru canada) but not to paid to canada, also why can every other store big and small can ship to canada?

Sighting non-existent bilingual requirement- Total BS there is only a retailing requirement with food(not enforced) none of my clothing, stuff etc has bilingual anything.

Customs- none under $100 and over its 3 line items if you really want or the shipper can it it- 1. what 2. quantity 3. value.
gee, it sounds like a receipt or packing slip.

This lameness just killed it for me, never ordering from them ever- not like I can anyway. ; ) its just so 1996.
post #2 of 34
Their response seemed reasonable. If you think they're lying about the bilingual requirements then what do you think the reason they won't ship to Canada is?
post #3 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

what do you think the reason they won't ship to Canada is?

It's not worth their effort shog[1].gif

I don't know what product they sell but they may face territorial issues. MEC in Canada wouldn't ship some items to the US because their suppliers forbid it.
post #4 of 34

They were nice enough to send you a somewhat detailed response, and I'd venture to trust their judgement on this. You simply sound pissed that you couldn't that t-shirt you've had your eye on.

post #5 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post

It's not worth their effort shog[1].gif
I don't know what product they sell but they may face territorial issues. MEC in Canada wouldn't ship some items to the US because their suppliers forbid it.

It's not worth the effort to send to Canada but it's worth the effort to send to Guam? I know most of you guys live in igloos 8 months out of the year and club baby seals to death on your way to Tim Horton's for coffee in the morning but I gotta think Canada is a bigger market than Guam.
post #6 of 34
You do know that Guam, is a US territory, Right. So not an international shippment, thru foreign borders.
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

Their response seemed reasonable. If you think they're lying about the bilingual requirements then what do you think the reason they won't ship to Canada is?

I would guess more mistaken than dishonest. If there is such a requirement, then the sweater I am wearing today does not meet it, and I can't think of many items I own that would. Curious response from the company. If they said that they didn't want to deal with Canada Customs or French Canadians, I would have shrugged and thought "perfectly logical".
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman View Post

It's not worth the effort to send to Canada but it's worth the effort to send to Guam? I know most of you guys live in igloos 8 months out of the year and club baby seals to death on your way to Tim Horton's for coffee in the morning but I gotta think Canada is a bigger market than Guam.

Actually most of us are on permanent beaver hunts. It's only the perverts that chase baby seals.
post #9 of 34

That seems like a solid explanation to me. It's only a "weak" excuse because you're butt-hurt that they won't ship to you. If they could ship around the world with relative ease (and at a low cost), I'm sure that they'd love to do it. Operating isn't always as easy you'd hope

post #10 of 34
Get over it.
post #11 of 34
why blame them? blame canada! happy.gif
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by robc View Post

Got this back from everlane explaining why they cannot ship to Canada.
How lame can a retailer get?
Answer: hopefully not as lame as Everlane.
Got this back from customer service;

"Thanks for your note and interest in Everlane. We would love to start shipping to our northern neighbors right away; unfortunately, it's not as simple as it sounds (as we've learned). To ship internationally, traditional retailers typically work through third party logistics providers who deal with customs and paperwork. The retailer just sets up the backend APIs and works with their vendors around country-specific merchandising and inventory. Challenging but doable.
For us, it's even more complicated. Canada also demands label changes (e.g., bilingual and different content) that require us to work with our factories to change our merchandise. As you can imagine, that requires a longer lead time and more coordination, which we're working on.
We're sorry for the inconvenience, but we are aiming to be able to ship outside the U.S. within the next six months to a few countries and then to other destinations later in 2013. "

They site a weak shipping excuse, a yahoo store can ship to Canada.
How they can ship free to guam, europe and alaska (which is thru canada) but not to paid to canada, also why can every other store big and small can ship to canada?
Sighting non-existent bilingual requirement- Total BS there is only a retailing requirement with food(not enforced) none of my clothing, stuff etc has bilingual anything.
Customs- none under $100 and over its 3 line items if you really want or the shipper can it it- 1. what 2. quantity 3. value.
gee, it sounds like a receipt or packing slip.
This lameness just killed it for me, never ordering from them ever- not like I can anyway. ; ) its just so 1996.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJ View Post

I would guess more mistaken than dishonest. If there is such a requirement, then the sweater I am wearing today does not meet it, and I can't think of many items I own that would. Curious response from the company. If they said that they didn't want to deal with Canada Customs or French Canadians, I would have shrugged and thought "perfectly logical".

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

That seems like a solid explanation to me. It's only a "weak" excuse because you're butt-hurt that they won't ship to you. If they could ship around the world with relative ease (and at a low cost), I'm sure that they'd love to do it. Operating isn't always as easy you'd hope


Hey guys, I run technology and by extension, logistics at Everlane.

I spent a considerable amount of time fully dedicated to getting Canadian shipping up and running, but we ran into several hurdles, one of which is the current labeling law. In general, selling internationally is a large undertaking, from both a logistics and customer service standpoint. We have a very small team handling a very large volume of business, so if we open the floodgates, we have to know that our systems are rock solid.

If we were some random Yahoo store, or even a sizable small business (like Epaulet or Howard Yount) manually packing and handling every order, this would be less of a problem. For the record, it took Gilt over a year to offer chipping to Canada, mainly due to similar issues.

Our creative director is from Montreal, so believe me when I tell you I hear the Canada chant every day.
post #13 of 34
UPS/FedEx. Hand them a box. Just don't use ground shipping.

I doubt you're bigger then the big US retailers like B&H that have been shipping all sorts of things across the border for ever.
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicola View Post

UPS/FedEx. Hand them a box. Just don't use ground shipping.
I doubt you're bigger then the big US retailers like B&H that have been shipping all sorts of things across the border for ever.

We are a small team handling a large volume. B&H handles all of their shipping internally and they are typically high value orders, which merit the high touch type of attention. We don't have the personelle to handle individual orders of $30-$50 worth of t-shirts, which was a typical order until November 1st. The shipping and handling cost for most solutions on these orders would have been huge compared to the total cost of items.

Our first foray into Canada might actually be a physical pop-up shop in Montreal of all things -


OP, thanks for your feedback and welcome to Styleforum.
post #15 of 34
It really makes sense as customs is not an easy issue... But i am a little bit surprised, living in Europe, i was imagining free circulation of goods between US and Canada as there's must be a huge volume of import/export between two countries.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Biggest bs answer from a online retailer (Everlane)