or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › First suit: fit and alteration advice/suggestions? (photos in post)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First suit: fit and alteration advice/suggestions? (photos in post)

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hey Everyone,

First off, I've done tons of reading on here over the last few weeks, and want to thank you all for such extensive knowledge and help on the subject of suits.

I'm 24 years old, and it seems like I am getting to that age where my friends are starting to get married (one in about 2-3 weeks) so I realized it was time to get a suit.

I am pretty lanky (tall and thin)... I weight about 150 lbs. and am 6'1" or 6'2".

Even though the J.Crew Ludlow suits don't seem to be a first choice around here, I picked one up during black friday with 25% off. Of the few suits i've tried on in the last few weeks, it seemed to fit me the best right off the rack so I felt it might be a good place to start since (I think) I wouldn't need tons of alterations.

So... without further adieu, here are the pictures of me wearing the suit. I would love any feedback on possible alterations or other suggestions you think would help me out in making this suit fit me as best as possible.

Thanks!
Josh




post #2 of 13
Only button the top button on a two button suit. The pants are too short you are already showing socks while standing up. the jacket looks ok for OTR nothing special though. The collar of your shirt seems a bit too tall (dunno the correct term for this) for the skinny lapels of your suit and the shirt sleeves look a bit short
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff13007 View Post

Only button the top button on a two button suit. The pants are too short you are already showing socks while standing up. the jacket looks ok for OTR nothing special though. The collar of your shirt seems a bit too tall (dunno the correct term for this) for the skinny lapels of your suit and the shirt sleeves look a bit short

Opps, obviously I am new to this... Thanks for letting me know about the bottom button needing to be unbuttoned.
post #4 of 13
looking good.

shirts could be a touch longer. pants could be a touch longer so no socks would show at the back; maybe buy it 2-4" longer so you can get a cuff to hold the pants straight.

dont button the bottom button of the jacket and remove the X stitching at the back center vent.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chogall View Post

looking good.
shirts could be a touch longer. pants could be a touch longer so no socks would show at the back; maybe buy it 2-4" longer so you can get a cuff to hold the pants straight.
dont button the bottom button of the jacket and remove the X stitching at the back center vent.

Thanks. So you are saying the shirt sleeves should be a bit longer, so the cuffs stick out a bit?

The pants don't come any longer (I have fairly long legs) but there is more fabric up in the hem, so I can probably have it let out an inch or so instead, what do you think?

Yeah I am planning on taking the X stitching off the back of the jacket but I thought i'd wait until I heard from some of you guys in case I was missing something obvious fit wise and needed to return it.
post #6 of 13
the pants look shirt as well as the sleeves, and the cuffs should be visible a little bit.
post #7 of 13
Thread Starter 
anyone else have anything to share? I really appreciate the help!
post #8 of 13

-Pants are too short..they should be slightly touching the shoe

-Inside shirt sleeves should be longer to show cuff

-Only button the top button for the jacket

-People might tell you that the jacket is too small.....but based on your physique(tall and skinny) you can get away with wearing that size

-A white pocket squae will add a nice touch to the outfit

-The length of your tie is too long.You should tie it so that the bottom tip of the tie is touching the belt center

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfattack View Post

Thanks. So you are saying the shirt sleeves should be a bit longer, so the cuffs stick out a bit?
The pants don't come any longer (I have fairly long legs) but there is more fabric up in the hem, so I can probably have it let out an inch or so instead, what do you think?
Yeah I am planning on taking the X stitching off the back of the jacket but I thought i'd wait until I heard from some of you guys in case I was missing something obvious fit wise and needed to return it.
ask your alteration tailor to see how much you can lengthen the pants.

shirt sleeves should be a bit longer so the shirt cuffs will peak out of jacket cuffs.
post #10 of 13

You've got a Conan O'Brien physique. Take that how you will.

 

The sleeves are a little wide and long. The pants could stand to be slimmed below the knee and lengthened. The back is a little wide at the top (causing the wrinkles). The waist could stand to be a little more tapered too. All in all, it's not a bad fit. The things that I listed are mainly my preferences.

post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post

You've got a Conan O'Brien physique. Take that how you will.

The sleeves are a little wide and long. The pants could stand to be slimmed below the knee and lengthened. The back is a little wide at the top (causing the wrinkles). The waist could stand to be a little more tapered too. All in all, it's not a bad fit. The things that I listed are mainly my preferences.

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I think I agree with your comments after hearing them. Basically, you seem to be saying, "hey, you are skinny, so at least make the suit reflect that", hence the more tapered waist, sleeves should be thinner, pants slimmed below the knees, etc...

When you say "The back is a little wide at the top" you are saying the back of the jacket right? Like around my shoulder blades?

Thanks!!!
post #12 of 13
The jacket probably needs to be a bit wider (in addition to longer). It's not covering enough of the collar and might be bowing in the chest. Something strange is happening at the triceps that likely involves rotation. Considering the starting slenderness and the fact many men put on weight yearly, the suit probably won't be wearable in a few years. For now, with a few alterations, it's okay.
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
So I just got my suit back from the tailor and thought I'd post new photos to get everyones opinion.

All in all I am pretty happy with it for it being my first real suit. The one thing I did notice was a lot of shirt collar is still showing, but I think since I am so tall and skinny with a long neck, it doesn't look as strange (hopefully).





Thanks again for all the help! Let me know what you think of the alterations.
-Josh
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › First suit: fit and alteration advice/suggestions? (photos in post)