• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

P90x

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody ever tried this program? I've never, ever been tempted to purchase something, especially a fitness product, via an infomercial, and I bet that I can snag the videos online if I look hard enough.

I'm more curious about the results. Anyone?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Has anybody ever tried this program? I've never, ever been tempted to purchase something, especially a fitness product, via an infomercial, and I bet that I can snag the videos online if I look hard enough.

I'm more curious about the results. Anyone?

It sounds like packaged fitness stuff you can look up online for free, that they are charging you money for. Don't bother.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
Not caring about the cost, more about whether it works.

Sure it works but so does any workout routine that is planned out and stuck to. There's no magic formula. Weights + cardio + good nutrition = good outcome.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump - has anyone used this since the last post?

I'm thinking of starting next week and am curious to hear from ppl who've tried it.

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
A friend of mine is on it right now. He has lost some weight and looks more cut. However, he says that the workouts are very hard and that he finds it hard to do the 1 hour workouts everyday (minus the rest days).

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQ Lawyer
A friend of mine is on it right now. He has lost some weight and looks more cut. However, he says that the workouts are very hard and that he finds it hard to do the 1 hour workouts everyday (minus the rest days).

This is what I've heard re: the difficulty...but I think that's what I need. Some intensity driving me to work harder than I do right now.

I currently go to the gym every morning for a little less than an hour so these would just replace what I'm doing currently.

entropy_00

Reaction score
I'm going through P90X right now...the exercises are good and definitely intense.
What I also like about is the diversity (weights, yoga, kenpo, plyometrics, core
conditioning).
I've notices changes in my strength, endurance and waistline.

The downside -- the workouts are long -- and like anything else, what you get
is dependent on what you put into it. Second, chin ups/pull ups are a big part
of some of the workouts -- so, if you work out at home, you need either bands or
a bar --

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entropy_00
Second, chin ups/pull ups are a big part
of some of the workouts -- so, if you work out at home, you need either bands or
a bar --

This is the issue I'm trying to resolve right now.

I got one of those bars that go over the top of your doorframe (like the one they sell on the p90x website) but mine doesn't seem to work.

I'm going to see if I can install a normal doorframe one today...

Question for you though: how many dumbbells did you need for the program? Or rather, are you even able to go heavy on this program?

I'm considering buying a set of 20s, 25s and 40s to start off with.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I downloaded it off of a torrent and have to say it's pretty hardcore.

I don't do the weight training circuit stuff, but the cardio stuff I use often when I don't have time to get to the gym or just want a quickie workout.

I'd actually pay for this, that's my highest recommendation I can give to things I can get for free.

hanginsoul

Reaction score
ill chime in on this.

like the ads say for this program, it really does require you to be in a relatively "fit" physique to start. Meaning, you can do 100 pushups and at least 10-20 pull ups pretty easily.

p90x is really meant to help you get "cut" or to just generally increase your athletism by a little. i really dont see a 20+lb overweight person doing this to slim down. it just helps most fit people push past that "plateau".

here's some personal background:
im 5'8 140lbs marathon runner and former rock climber with a developing office gut. just no longer as active as i used to be. being out of college for two years kinda does that to you.

from the two year decline, i went form being able to do 30 pull ups in a single untimed session to about 5 hard and struggling to hang-on pullups. 75 pushusp in a minute to about 25. i ran a 5:20 mile and now im at about 8:30/mi.

ive been doing the p90x program for about a month now. you could do the program and follow it to the dot by doing all the exercises, doing the strict diet, and taking all the supplements.

i chose to only do the exercises and go with my current eating habits plus a few protein dirnks when i have it avaiable.

its definitely a challenge, physically, at first. but once you get used to this type of exercise, you'll have no trouble finishing the routines. i would say its mostly a matter of discipline for this type of program.

resutls? im back to doing about 50 pushpus a minute now. 20 pullups. my running time is still about the same, but that has very little to do with p90x and more with just being inactive longer than i should have. i do notice that my basketball stamina has gone up (a little more 'hustle' and quicker hops)

since i have a slim profile to begin with, i cant say much to the weight loss that p90x promotes. but i can say for sure that my body has toned up. arms even got a slight bulge similar to moderate weight lifting + supplements. and my basketball game def. got a boost. i havent rock climbed for ages so i cant give an input on any improvements.

i would imagine by the time i finish the next two months, i would definitely be toned a whole lot more. Im considering doing the diet program for fun just to see how ripped itll get me. of course, you COULD do any program you research on the web and get results. im lazy and i didnt purchase this program anyways. i fucken downloaded it through a torrent and printed the material at work.... >=)

within my two years of office-gutting, i only gained about 5-8 lbs. so if you were looking for results as far as weight loss goes, i guess this entry wont help too much. good luck.

entropy_00

Reaction score
The 40s you won't need...I would go 10, 20 and 25...

Also, depending on your flexbility, a yoga block would be a good idea. Same w/
a yoga mat.

I purchased a doorframe chin up bar (not from P90X) that works fine --

R

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads