- categoryCoatstagged by SYSTEM, 11/28/12
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 10:24 pm in Classic Menswear
- TABARRIFICIO VENETO AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 2/22/14 at 8:23am in Streetwear and Denim
- WESTAGE & CO. AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 2/9/14 at 9:43pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on 9/23/16 at 10:26am in Classic Menswear
- ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ Last post on Today at 9:51 pm in Classic Menswear
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- What it Means to be Made in ItalyLast edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
What differentiates a high quality overcoat from a low quality overcoatpost #1 of 411/22/12 at 9:53pmThread Starterpost #2 of 411/22/12 at 10:06pmpost #3 of 411/22/12 at 10:17pm
i had two overcoats made last winter which are still serving me very well. full canvas is very important!
yes high quality overcoats are indeed canvassed and shouldn't be fused (unless the fabric weight is extremely light, in which case fusing may be required).
it does go over the suit, but still needs to fit well and since it will be canvassed, the overcoat will conform to your body better than a fused suit.
also the lining and fabric play a big role. the cheaper the lining used, the less likely the overcoat will stand the test of time.
hope this helps.
jasonpost #4 of 411/23/12 at 12:02amBiggest difference between low end coats and better coats is the materials. The fabrics used in nicer coats IMHO have a far greater difference then those seen in suits. In other words the difference in the fabric used in a mid level suit and a higher level suit is closer then the difference between two coats .
Once you've spent the extra money on the material construction costs aren't going to be a big deal so you don't skimp here either.
But even a cheaper coat will last almost forever.
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Outerwear
- › Epaulet Tennis Trainer in Steerhide Saddle - size 9 4 minutes ago
- › 200k Push-Ups in 2016 5 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 6 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 7 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots Rubberized Leather Size 9 8 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 9 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 13 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 14 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 18 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Trump v. Clinton Debate Thread 22 minutes ago
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...