- categoryCoatstagged by SYSTEM, 11/28/12
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:34 pm in Classic Menswear
- TABARRIFICIO VENETO AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 2/22/14 at 8:23am in Streetwear and Denim
- WESTAGE & CO. AT PITTI UOMO 85 Last post on 2/9/14 at 9:43pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Best of B&S - Someone should buy this! Last post on Today at 2:00 pm in Classic Menswear
- ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ Last post on Today at 4:40 pm in Classic Menswear
Styleforum visits De Bonne Facture at Paris Men's Week 2016
Last edited: 1/29/16
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: OuterwearLast edited: 11/11/15
- What it Means to be Made in ItalyLast edited: 2/9/15
- The Current State of AmericanaLast edited: 2/10/15
- The Styleforum Brief: February 2015Last edited: 2/9/15
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
What differentiates a high quality overcoat from a low quality overcoatpost #1 of 411/22/12 at 9:53pmThread Starterpost #2 of 411/22/12 at 10:06pmpost #3 of 411/22/12 at 10:17pm
i had two overcoats made last winter which are still serving me very well. full canvas is very important!
yes high quality overcoats are indeed canvassed and shouldn't be fused (unless the fabric weight is extremely light, in which case fusing may be required).
it does go over the suit, but still needs to fit well and since it will be canvassed, the overcoat will conform to your body better than a fused suit.
also the lining and fabric play a big role. the cheaper the lining used, the less likely the overcoat will stand the test of time.
hope this helps.
jasonpost #4 of 411/23/12 at 12:02amBiggest difference between low end coats and better coats is the materials. The fabrics used in nicer coats IMHO have a far greater difference then those seen in suits. In other words the difference in the fabric used in a mid level suit and a higher level suit is closer then the difference between two coats .
Once you've spent the extra money on the material construction costs aren't going to be a big deal so you don't skimp here either.
But even a cheaper coat will last almost forever.
- The 2015 Buyer's Guide: Outerwear
- › Why Hillary will be the next POTUS 47 seconds ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 1 minute ago
- › Double Breasted Style. 2 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL Game of Thrones Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Site Topics - Part II 5 minutes ago
- › #ForBrian : RIP @hbkshin / StyleForum's Help Needed To Aid The... 6 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 7 minutes ago
- › New bee asking for suits advices, live in Toronto 9 minutes ago
- › Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread... 9 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 9 minutes ago
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Clark Street Casual Shoes by Lobster33
- › Sage de Cret Green Jacquard Wool Linen Blazer by robxznyc
- › Gerani Corduroy Slim Straight Pants Yellow by robxznyc
- › Luigi Bianchi Rough Heavy Cotton Twill Blazer Yellow by robxznyc
- › Sage de Cret Patchwork Wool Bomber Jacket by robxznyc
- › WLG by Giorgio Brato Brown Nubuck Bomber Leather Jacket by robxznyc
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...
- › What to Wear: The Black Tie Wedding
- › What to Wear: The Casual Summer Wedding