• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thom Browne + Brooks Brothers = Black Fleece (pics are up)

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took long enough, but the collection was finally previewed yesterday.

Info + slideshow - http://men.style.com/news/style/032107

I'm not so huge a fan of Browne's, but this collection is much better than expected if only because he came back down to Earth just enough for his clothes to be wearable, beautifully made and classic-in-look.

0008h.jpg

0012h.jpg

0017h.jpg

0001h.jpg

Did I mention wearable? Bout damn time.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the DB coat in the second pic. And those huge cuffs are gonna get some love around here ...

Don't think I care for the extremely high placement of the pockets on the last two coats. And some of the other stuff in the GQ slideshow is pretty ridiculous. The puffy jacket, in particular, is just tired.

A mixed bag, I'd say. About what I expected. But, hey, at least it gets us talking about Brooks.

The question now is, will the salesmen at Brooks still try to convince guys their sleeves should be in their palms?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of meh about it. It doesn't make me want to wear Brooks Brothers anymore today than I would have wanted to last week. Only one or two pieces really grabbed me.

About the only thing this collection will do is prompt the Trads to shout "Sacrilege!" while Brown apologists claim it is a successful reinvention of an old brand.

kshah

Reaction score
So let's say you get a suit. Brook's tailors are going to hem the pants 3 inches above your shoe? Or will a tailor with 20 years in the biz succumb to "corporate initiatives?" Put a full break on the trousers and you'll have a pair of slim fit trousers with a very short coat.

What a crapshoot.

That last overcoat on the left is nice though.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Mixed bag, with some interesting pieces. I'll keep an eye on armyhardhat on ebay in 18 mos or so.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Overall I like it, particularly the outerwear, some of the tux pieces, and the morning dress outfits.

There are many pieces in there that I'd love to wear - unfortunately I know the prices will make me want to wait on sales and ebay.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kshah
So let's say you get a suit. Brook's tailors are going to hem the pants 3 inches above your shoe? Or will a tailor with 20 years in the biz succumb to "corporate initiatives?" Put a full break on the trousers and you'll have a pair of slim fit trousers with a very short coat.

What a crapshoot.

That last overcoat on the left is nice though.

As with anything else, you have to know on your own or you can't expect it to turn out right.

Personally, I'm glad they (I assume... perhaps too soon) will be making some slim fit stuff out of Brooks, because I like some of their stuff, it's just way too big and sloppy looking for my taste.

I think with some tweaking I'd wear everything in those pics (on the dudes).

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The runway show is a bit of a turn off just because of the shorts and knickers and awful haircuts, but I'm hoping that the line will have some well cut and well made shirts, suits, sportscoats and trousers at reasonable prices. I'm very much rooting for Brooks to live up to their heritage.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brook's tailors are going to hem the pants 3 inches above your shoe?

How about it. What's up with that?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't say that those pieces of clothing attest to any level of "reinvention" Thom Browne has done for Brooks Brothers.

That cat just doesn't happen when he's not doing highwaters.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BTW, since someone has to say it: it's a runway show, people. The clothes in stores will not be exactly like this, and a size 34x32" pair of pants will not likely measure 34x28" actual.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dunno, looks like all he did was fix the fit of the current brooks brothers...whats new?

phooi

Reaction score
I liked it. Classic yet updated as far as cut and details. I'm sure the prices will be ridiculous but my guess is that this will be a good collaboration for BB.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
So let's say you get a suit. Brook's tailors are going to hem the pants 3 inches above your shoe? Or will a tailor with 20 years in the biz succumb to "corporate initiatives?"

Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The question now is, will the salesmen at Brooks still try to convince guys their sleeves should be in their palms?

decisions.gif

Looks like TB before he went nutso with his runway shows. I'll wait to see what it looks like on me before making any judgements.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads