I recently used some Kiwi shoe polish on a pair of leather wingtip boots. It was a bit difficult to buff out, and it seems to be scuffing easily. I want to use a cream-based polish but I'm not sure what to do about the existing wax polish. I was told that a cream + a buff would take off the wax polish. If so, are there any creams you would recommend? If not, what should I do?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- NIB Gaziano & Girling Canterbury Balmoral Boot Shell Cordovan MH71 UK11.5E $2,200 Last post on 9/13/15 at 2:32am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- ORDER NOW! Viberg for Styleforum GMTO preorders Round1 - 2015 - Ends April 7. Last post on 2/2/16 at 4:15pm in Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and other collaborative efforts
- New Viberg for Styleforum GMTO makeups Last post on 11/22/15 at 4:12pm in Streetwear and Denim
- The Great Cascadia Boot Thread Last post on 2/3/16 at 4:09pm in Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum Visits Viberg Boot Company
Last edited: 8/10/15
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.Last edited: 2/9/16
- Stocking Stuffers for Your Favorite Denim HeadLast edited: 12/6/15
- The Armoury
- Buttons 'n' Threads
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- M Classic 101
- Meermin Mallorca
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oak Room
- Portland Dry Goods
- Probus NYC
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Removing Wax Polish from Bootspost #1 of 611/21/12 at 9:03pmThread Starter
Styleforum Top Pickspost #2 of 611/21/12 at 10:24pm
If the boots are made of a waxy leather, using wax polish on them can be a bit of a pointless exercise as the finish will end up 'smearing', especially if they've been bulled to a mirror shine - does this sound like what's happening to you?
If you really want to remove the polish to start anew, run them under hot water to loosen the polish and use a little saddle soap to get it off. Give the leather a good feed afterwards as the soap will dry it out.post #3 of 611/21/12 at 11:48pmpost #4 of 611/22/12 at 7:40pmThread Starterpost #5 of 611/23/12 at 2:43pmThread Starterpost #6 of 611/23/12 at 3:21pmThank you for providing the photos. Have you not tried the acetone yet? Nail polish remover (also acetone) will work too. Use a terry cloth. Wear rubber gloves. It takes all of 3 minutes. Also, for the future, I would recommend leather lotion once every 2 months or so. Cream polishes such as KIWI, Meltonian or Moneysworth are ok on these but need only be applied when the boots are geting ratty. Scrapes and scars are a part of leather life and add character to the leather so they are to be embraced. Avoid wax polishes altogether on these but if you insist, then restrict the use of wax polishes to the toe caps. Use a horsehair brush on them after each wearing after wiping with a damp cloth. Do not use a brush from your black shoes on these. You should have several brushes, each dedicated to its own colour usage. You really don't need polish on these except for the toe areas and only from time to time.
- Removing Wax Polish from Boots
- Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Carlos Santos Shoes - Feedback & Appreciation 1 minute ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 2 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 4 minutes ago
- › Carmina Shell Cordovan Black Cherry UK11.5 Oscar Last Burdeos 5 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 5 minutes ago
- › thoughts on (asking for) price adjustments. 5 minutes ago
- › White Dinner Jacket/Tuxedo Jacket for Houston wedding 7 minutes ago
- › ٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ 7 minutes ago
- › Alden Snuff Suede Flex-Welt Chukka Boot by mediahound
- › Alden Indy Boot 405 by Beancounter Tom
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Chukka by mediahound
- › Berlin & Son - Heritage Oxford by Mike87
- › Carmina for Epaulet Grey Suede Steinbeck Boot by Patek
- › Ps Paul Smith Laced shoes by yucaseca
- › Irish Setter Men's 838 Wingshooter 6" Waterproof Lace-up... by seanhorween
- › Borsa Long sleeve shirt by techstyles
- › Neil Barrett - LEATHER TROUSERS by newway
- › Mandarina Duck City Messenger by josh89
- › How to clean antique brass hooks and eyelets...
- › How to start cleaning and shining fine...
- › What tools do you need to get burnish your...
- › Using a suede protector spray on regular...
- › Does the Groom Need to Stick Out from the...
- › What is the optimal width for a wedding tie?
- › Maintenance of Shell Cordovan shoes and boots.
- › Should I Wear a Watch to a Wedding?
- › Can I Wear a Black Suit to an Evening Wedding?
- › Comparison of shoe products - Lexol vs Saphir...