or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Tempura Sushi
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tempura Sushi - Page 2

post #16 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
A good source of sugar?

Are people really lacking in sugar these days?
post #17 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD View Post
sweet potato tempura also tastes good in a roll.
Yam tempura in maki and dynamite rolls (shrimp tempura) are big in Vancouver. As everyone knows, Vancouverites eat more sushi than the Japanese or anyone else, so their opinion holds the most weight. (The best part is that the Caribbeans et al will tell you it's not actually yam but sweet potato, but it doesn't matter what they think either.)
post #18 of 82
I had the idea to do this over two years ago...at the time I didn't know it was already being done - I had only been exposed to nigiri, sashimi, and other "non battered and fried" sushi styles...

It was messy, but fun:




Thought process and execution can be seen by clicking here
post #19 of 82
Thread Starter 
I know its not proper Japanese, but I mean rolls with (prawns or soft shell crab) tempura inside, not fried sushi!
post #20 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3R3 View Post
Is it not possible to like a cheeseburger and a fine french filet? They are different tastes that satisfy different appetites. Just because something is americanized, doesn't mean it is somehow barbaric.

Yes, but when you say "cheeseburger", people don't say, "Oh! l love all German food! I like Spaetzle, Knoedel, and Schwenker... so good!

When you say, tempura sushi, and half a dozen people say "Oooh I love Japanese food!" It irritates me, because in no way, is tempura sushi Japanese.
post #21 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
Yes, but when you say "cheeseburger", people don't say, "Oh! l love all German food! I like Spaetzle, Knoedel, and Schwenker... so good!

When you say, tempura sushi, and half a dozen people say "Oooh I love Japanese food!" It irritates me, because in no way, is tempura sushi Japanese.

Please note, that I did not say it was Japanese.

I have respect for real Japanese sushi, and things like Toro, Unagi, Sake and Maguro nigiri are all great.
post #22 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim View Post
Yes, but when you say "cheeseburger", people don't say, "Oh! l love all German food! I like Spaetzle, Knoedel, and Schwenker... so good!

When you say, tempura sushi, and half a dozen people say "Oooh I love Japanese food!" It irritates me, because in no way, is tempura sushi Japanese.
Perhaps we have the same viewpoint. I truley like ALL types of food, and I hate when people eat Cali rolls and think they like all Japanese food.
post #23 of 82
Quote:
I have respect for real Japanese sushi, and things like Toro, Unagi, Sake and Maguro nigiri are all great.
not doing much better. Not all Japanese food is sushi. Japanese cuisine is fantastic, I agree with this statement. But there is a lot more to it than just raw fish. I personally love: donburi - various items on top of a bowl of rice, can include raw fish (called chirashi), also oyako-don which is a flavorful egg scramble with onions and chicken nabe - a pot of broth with vegetables and meat boiling in it, yosenabe is a seafood pot, sukiyaki is beef and veggies in a soy-based broth, shabu shabu is a seaweed-based broth (i believe, anyway) and involves thinly sliced beef, tofu and vegetables and several dipping sauces ramen - chashuu ramen is my favorite... tororo ramen (sweet potato) is good in small doses but the sliminess is gross sometimes. hamberg steak - japanese flavor meatloaf... mmmmm.... then of course there's okonomiyaki and a million other things.
post #24 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by P3R3 View Post
Perhaps we have the same viewpoint. I truley like ALL types of food, and I hate when people eat Cali rolls and think they like all Japanese food.
That is ok. I hate it when people call California Cali . I like sushi, but am not overly fond of many cooked Japanese dishes. They are all a bit sweeter than I like.If I had to rank Asian cuisines, Japanese would definitely come after Chinese, Indian, Korean and probably Thai.
post #25 of 82
Bla bla bla cultural elitism bla bla bla authenticity bla bla bla deep-fried TESTICLES...

Seriously guys that's all I can hear...y'all just need to get over it all. Everybody, one and all.
post #26 of 82
I don't like Thai. I prefer Vietnamese.
post #27 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SD View Post
not doing much better.

Not all Japanese food is sushi.

Japanese cuisine is fantastic, I agree with this statement. But there is a lot more to it than just raw fish.

I personally love:

donburi - various items on top of a bowl of rice, can include raw fish (called chirashi), also oyako-don which is a flavorful egg scramble with onions and chicken
nabe - a pot of broth with vegetables and meat boiling in it, yosenabe is a seafood pot, sukiyaki is beef and veggies in a soy-based broth, shabu shabu is a seaweed-based broth (i believe, anyway) and involves thinly sliced beef, tofu and vegetables and several dipping sauces
ramen - chashuu ramen is my favorite... tororo ramen (sweet potato) is good in small doses but the sliminess is gross sometimes.
hamberg steak - japanese flavor meatloaf... mmmmm....

then of course there's okonomiyaki and a million other things.

Tonkatsu and Teriyaki Beef have to be top ones for me.
post #28 of 82
They also have a deep-fried pork chop.
post #29 of 82
Dont forget everyone's favorite: Nattou! If you are a gaijin (any kind not just us crackers) and can eat that then you truely like Japanese food. Personally, I can eat it, I can eat a whole bowl of it if I need to but I dont really go to far out of my way to eat it. Might I order it as a side? Occasionally, yes. Takoyaki is also quite good when made right.
post #30 of 82
tako is disgusting in every shape and form. I detest cephalopods. Nattou is disgusting.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel › Tempura Sushi