or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Need some footwear recommendations to go with jeans at bars/clubs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need some footwear recommendations to go with jeans at bars/clubs

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Right now I have about 8 pairs of Nike Air Max+ shoes ranging from 2009-2012, mostly in either blacks or neon colors. These are my favorites:

http://insider.nike.com/us/shoes/nike-volt-collection-4628/attachment/nike-air-max-2012-mens-running-shoe-volt-black-white-2/

I'm starting to accept that these kind of shoes just look crappy with jeans even though I like them. I have a pair of brown alden wingtips that I've been relying on lately. I'd like to get some sneakers that look acceptable with jeans when I go out to bars, was thinking of maybe some grey and white Jordans but I'm open to suggestions. I'd also like to get a pair of black boots but I've never bought boots before and could use advice on what makers to check out that are decent but not super expensive (essentially whatever the Allen Edmonds of cool looking boots is). Black shoes could also work but I'm not sure what style to grab for jeans. Obviously my Park Avenues won't work and I don't like my Sanfords or AE wingtips with jeans either.

If anyone has any ideas on what styles/colors/brands of jeans/pants I could wear with my Nike collection, would like to hear that too.
post #2 of 16
A trick when doing consultations and hearing vague wishes like that is to narrow options by location and size. Which aren't in the post. But if they are soon given here...
post #3 of 16
Lanvin and Common Projects... maybe MMM GATs are probably the gold standard for sneakers to wear with jeans for a 'night out.'

If I were going to a club for a night out I'd probably wear boots or something. Wingtips are great but unless you have a beater pair they're just not that great for the type of potential abuse they might see. Girls (depending on how drunk they are, or what type of clubs you go to) actually notice stuff like that and it makes a somewhat good impression.

Gentleman Traveler, 1000 Mile Boot, maybe even Iron Rangers fit the bill. Paul Smith booths are good too but might not stand up to the abuse.
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks, those sneakers actually look similar to the ones I was considering but I wasn't sure if that was the look to go for or not.

If I could only spring for one pair of boots right now, would black or brown be better?
Quote:
A trick when doing consultations and hearing vague wishes like that is to narrow options by location and size. Which aren't in the post. But if they are soon given here...

I am a 10B and live in Houston. But I'm not sure how that helps anything.
post #5 of 16
Harder-to-find sizes automatically limit options. Therefore, anyone making thoughtful recommendations isn't going to suggest a brand or line that will not fit. In this case, the narrowness virtually eliminates many possibilities.

So far this is the best boot option found
http://www.shoebuy.com/allen-edmonds-cronmok/558881/1161662
edit: but that's not black

Also, an Alden boot, like the Indy, might satisfy.
post #6 of 16
Please never wear the above abomination in public. Your shoe choices for going out should probably be dictated by the rest of your wardrobe. I have no idea how it is in Houston, but sneakers aren't allowed at nicer clubs/bars unless you're a celeb or know the owner...

MMM side zips are probably the ideal going out boots, but it doesn't sound like they would work with what you normally wear.
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant View Post

Harder-to-find sizes automatically limit options. Therefore, anyone making thoughtful recommendations isn't going to suggest a brand or line that will not fit. In this case, the narrowness virtually eliminates many possibilities.
So far this is the best boot option found
http://www.shoebuy.com/allen-edmonds-cronmok/558881/1161662
edit: but that's not black
Also, an Alden boot, like the Indy, might satisfy.

Does narrowness matter much in boots when you're wearing semi-thick athletic socks though? With dress shoes I find that I need the B, or C at the widest because D will slide around a bit. Sneakers I've never had to worry much about width, they all fit fine. I've never owned a pair of boots before so I don't know how important width is to the sizing.
post #8 of 16
There seems to be a need for a trip to a footwear store that does fittings. Don't play games with proper fit - foot damage is very unpleasant.

As for boot fit vs. shoe fit, it's probably fair to say that dress boots will fit the foot the same way dress shoes will.
post #9 of 16

Clark's desert boots are also a good choice as they come in a variety of materials and colours. I think those are good because they can fit in with almost any bar outfit and give you a masculine look. Also, they are rugged enough that you don't have to worry about spilled drinks or being stepped on (I damaged two pairs of nice boots that way in clubs), but not heavy to be clumsy if you have to hit the dance floor. 

post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks brahs. I think I'm going to cop those Cronmoks in brown unless anyone has a better suggestion. I keep coming back to those and I think they look great. Wish they came in black though. I'm hesitant to get Navy on what is sort of an expensive purchase for me since I don't know how I'll like it. Can't seem to find a discount on them anywhere, kind of annoying, although the retail price isn't that bad.

edit: Any thoughts on the navy cronmok with jeans? In some pics they look almost black whereas they look more navy in others. Trying to decide if it will look stupid or not. Just found this pic:

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pittsburgh-Magazine/December-2012/Andrew-McCutchen-Fashion-Shoot/index.php?cparticle=4&siarticle=3

Pimp or retarded looking? Confine your answer to the boots/jeans only.
Edited by bdbb - 11/27/12 at 12:59am
post #11 of 16
They look okay on him, but most people couldn't pull off the colored laces. The magazine picture calls into question how light-colored they are. Light-colored footwear technically isn't appropriate for evening. Regardless, the Cronmoks are too unusual to wear often unless one wishes that to be part of a signature style and they should be worn with interesting clothes/hair (because footwear isn't supposed to be the focal point). An Indy boot would be more versatile.
post #12 of 16

Aside from Lanvin or Common Projects, good old Chuck Taylors are inexpensive and always good to have in the closet and you can easily buy them and mix and match colors.  I personally like the non-laced ones or the Varvatos laceless (although the clear sole doesn't really justify the x2 markup vs. regular chucks).

 

And as stated before... PLEASE DO NOT WEAR JORDANS / RUNNING SHOES / BASKETBALL SHOES / CROSS TRAINERS WITH JEANS.

 

It is very hideous.

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbb View Post

Thanks brahs. I think I'm going to cop those Cronmoks in brown unless anyone has a better suggestion. I keep coming back to those and I think they look great. Wish they came in black though. I'm hesitant to get Navy on what is sort of an expensive purchase for me since I don't know how I'll like it. Can't seem to find a discount on them anywhere, kind of annoying, although the retail price isn't that bad.
edit: Any thoughts on the navy cronmok with jeans? In some pics they look almost black whereas they look more navy in others. Trying to decide if it will look stupid or not. Just found this pic:
http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pittsburgh-Magazine/December-2012/Andrew-McCutchen-Fashion-Shoot/index.php?cparticle=4&siarticle=3
Pimp or retarded looking? Confine your answer to the boots/jeans only.

That is a terrible outfit.

If you could post an outfit of what you'd wearing going out sans shoes, I'm sure most of us will be able to think of a logical choice for footwear.
post #14 of 16

2nd that motion. those shoes are hideous man. it's a toss up.. your jordans or those... get some desert boots like the guy suggested. they are like 100 bucks and go with everything.

post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by yufu22 View Post

2nd that motion. those shoes are hideous man. it's a toss up.. your jordans or those... get some desert boots like the guy suggested. they are like 100 bucks and go with everything.

I already ordered them but got them on sale for $204 shipped. I think the red laces and the fact that the rest of that guy's outfit is crap are biasing people against the shoes, which are fine by themselves. I'm thinking they'll look best with lighter jeans, but I really won't know what's up with them until I get them, they could be a complete disaster. I can get more than my money back on ebay so it doesn't hurt to check them out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › Need some footwear recommendations to go with jeans at bars/clubs